Richlands at Union

Ryan4VT

We drove over from Kingsport for this last night. The two previous weekends, we had watched Dorman (the monstrous school on the left side of I-26 below Spartanburg) take on Wade Hampton (Greenville), the following day we watched Byrnes take on Apopka, FL in the ESPN game, and last week we watched Knox Fulton go against Bearden. You could combine the squads of Richlands & Union and athletically speaking, still not be in the same universe as Dorman, Byrnes Apopka or Fulton, and they would be heavy underdogs to Bearden or Wade Hampton....but last night was hands down the most entertaining game we've seen and just maybe the best atmosphere. Great job by everyone who participated and great job by the fans for turning out. 

Well, one of these things happened...

Looks like both happened.  I remember someone saying something about having to run the football to win.  Union continued to pound the football.  It looked to me like Richlands defense got a little gassed in the 4th.  Congrats to Union.  Just to watch a game, it was hard to beat.

Well,  I didn't get to go to the game because I was in a pretty bad car accident on Tuesday in Bristol Tn.  I got busted up pretty bad and so did my mother,  but my Aunt who was in the backseat is still touch n go as to whether she will survive or not,  but each day she makes it, her odds go up !  enough about that.

I was really worried about this game because Union is a very good well coached team with good athletes and fan support and have always gave the blues problems !

Congrats to Union and their fans,  it must have been a great entertaining game to watch !  Heart breaking for the blues and their fans,  but Union has had to face that on a couple of very close loses to the Blues so I guess payback is fair play....lol

This has turned out to be a fantastic matchup every year and I also hope they keep it on the schedule.  It's really good for both teams and the fans !

I never question coach Mance's decessions on the football field.........who am I to do so,  but I do wish they would have played for overtime there at the end and especially with a QB who was only starting his 2nd varsity game,  ( I do think that River is going to be a very good QB )  but he knows his team better than I,  and I can"t fault him for trying to go for the win.  Maybe he knew his D was gassed and was having a tough time stopping the union O at the end,  and might struggle stopping Union in overtime and was trying to get into field goal poistion.......I don't know,  I wasn't there,  but the blues can go into a funk after a loss like this,  or use it as motivation and learn from it.

Congrats to Union and good luck the rest of the season,  and Blues.............this one is over,  move on to next weeks game against Graham !

Now,  I have to do a little healing.

Heartbreaking loss. Considering

Well,  I didn't get to go to the game because I was in a pretty bad car accident on Tuesday in Bristol Tn.  I got busted up pretty bad and so did my mothrer,  but my Aunt who was in the backseat is strill touch n go as to whether she will survive or not,  but each day she makes, her odds go up !  enough about that.

I was really worried about this game because Union is a very good well coached team with good athletes and fan support and have always gave the blues problems !

Congrats to Union and their fans,  it must have been a great entertaining game to watch !  Heart breaking for the blues and their fans,  but Union has had to face that on a couple of very close loses to the Blues so I guess payback is fair play....lol

This has turned out to be a fantastic matchup every year and I also hope they keep it on the schedule.  It really good for both teams and the fans !

I never question coach Mances decessions on the football.........who am I to do so,  but I do wish they would have played for overtime there at the end and especially with a QB who was only starting his 2nd varsity game,  but he knows his team better than I,  and I can"t fault him for trying to go for the win.  Maybe he knew his D was gassed and might struggle stopping Union in overtime and was trying to get into field goal poistion.......I don't know,  I wasn't there,  but the blues can go into a funk after a loss like this,  or use it as motivation and learn from it.

Congrats to Union and good luck the rest of the season,  and Blues.............this one is over,  move on to next weeks game against Graham !

Aw, that sucks to hear Bigrhsfan. Hopefully you all can get a very speedy recover and get you all back to the ball games.

Heartbreaking loss really. I know I travelled the whole two hours down there and just have to make that drive back and have that game sit on your mind all the way back, shew. The Blues defense is as much to blame for this loss as the playcalling is. The defense, at times, let the Bears have their way with them. But I will agree with all the DJ's on 93.5FM and say that is truly one of the greatest games in SWVA in the last couple of decades. This has truly become the big "rivalry" game for the Blues, and I love it. Richlands has always needed an opponent like this that does not just sit down after going down two touchdowns. And this is also good for the Blues, because they know what that heartbreaking loss feels like now. And they will need that come later in the season and heading into playoffs. Union deserved that game, and even though we were getting on him all game, #15 and #23 (I have no idea their names, but my group of "rattlers" call them Devin Hester and Tim Tebow :P) played a hell of a ball game and that #7 reciever could get open every play if he wanted too. This game has really made me want to see them in playoffs.

This game had a playoff like atmosphere and went right down to the final second like most of us predicated. Like I said earlier in the week....sometimes a team just has your number.....Union has ours. It looked like we had the better team early and so many chances to put it away . We couldn't do it period! Union beats us and earned it. They capitalized on every opportunity and good teams make you pay. Congratulations to Union.

Hope the Blues learn from this. With eight first time starters on both sides this will either make them learn a hard lesson and get better or make for a long season. I hope its the first. With the G Men up next this is a critical game for us. With at least two more games ahead of us that will be very hard for us to win. We cannot afford a 1-2 start.

Never seen a team dominate the line of scrimmage like that and lose. I actually came away from this game thinking Richlands may be better than I thought going into the game, but you can't keep giving the other team break after break. Dropped touchdown passes, bad snaps, and stupid penalties .....ugh...

I guess greenwavefan#5 has nothing to say......#5, did Richlands give Union a win like Union gave Clintwood a win?

i'm not taking up for #5, but clintwoods own mistakes let the bears back in it, even though the 4th and 1 didn't help the bears cause... just like the ill fated pass didn't help the R....

Union should  be 2-0, but mistakes were made in week one.  I would love to see a rematch deep in the playoffs between these 2 schools, would be one of those classic southwest Virginia  slobberknockers.

The Bears early mistakes allowed the GreenWave to lead early 14-0. Just like Clintwood's late mistakes allowed Union back in it as you said and take over the lead. Mistakes are mistakes no matter who makes them and when they're made. All depends if you can recover from them or not. The Bears did that, the GreenWave did that. But it all evened out for a game with two good teams which was decided by two points. Union made mistakes early, Clintwood made them late. 

#5 makes it sound as though Union has nothing, but take away the mistakes on both sides and I believe it still would have been a close two point ball game. 

Union moved the ball pretty well against Richlands. They actually had a few more total yards than Richlands. Almost even. The papers that I have looked at today also shows Union with more first downs than Richlands. So they moved the ball pretty well.

Well,  I didn't get to go to the game because I was in a pretty bad car accident on Tuesday in Bristol Tn.  I got busted up pretty bad and so did my mother,  but my Aunt who was in the backseat is still touch n go as to whether she will survive or not,  but each day she makes it, her odds go up !  enough about that.

This has turned out to be a fantastic matchup every year and I also hope they keep it on the schedule.  It's really good for both teams and the fans !

I never question coach Mance's decessions on the football field.........who am I to do so,  but I do wish they would have played for overtime there at the end and especially with a QB who was only starting his 2nd varsity game,  ( I do think that River is going to be a very good QB )  but he knows his team better than I,  and I can"t fault him for trying to go for the win.  Maybe he knew his D was gassed and was having a tough time stopping the union O at the end,  and might struggle stopping Union in overtime and was trying to get into field goal poistion.......I don't know,  I wasn't there,  but the blues can go into a funk after a loss like this,  or use it as motivation and learn from it.

hope everything is ok..... prayers for ya...

What's the deal with Union games and weird play calls.... Remember the 4th and 1 from their own 14 for Graham last year in the playoffs?...in the 1st quarter?????

The ghost of Tom Turner just helping his son by putting a spell on opposing coaches.