Richlands at Union

Ryan4VT

The game of the week in the area, hands down. How do you guys see this one going? I was very impressed with River Friday night and Staten looked good, as expected. I'm slightly surprised by the outcome of the Union/Clintwood game, however. I thought Union would be able to win that game with all of it's experience returning. Not going to make a prediction just yet. 

Thoughts? Concerns?

Go.

My thought is another last minute game. I think Richlands will have problems sealing the edge and making them run between the hashes. If they can make Union pass more than they want to it should be good for us.

I think we can and will score 28. If Union scores more than that I think they win. It should be another good one. Unions speed at running back is my greatest concern. I think the difference will be one score either way.

Richlands 28 and Union 27

My thought is another last minute game. I think Richlands will have problems sealing the edge and making them run between the hashes. If they can make Union pass more than they want to it should be good for us.

I think we can and will score 28. If Union scores more than that I think they win. It should be another good one. Unions speed at running back is my greatest concern. I think the difference will be one score either way.

Richlands 28 and Union 27

As much as I hate Richlands flirting with disaster against Union in close games, this is most likely what's gonna happen. And plus, it's gonna be at Bullitt Park. I just hope we're on the winning side of this one. I'm worried about how River's gonna handle it with the game on the line, in the 4th, if it happens, and most likely will.  

I was able to go to the Union/Clintwood game and the outcome could have been much different had Travis Turner not elected to go for a 4th and 1 at his OWN 14 yd line in a scoreless game early in the 2nd period. Clintwood stopped them and scored a couple plays later. Then recovered a fumble on the next drive in about the same area. Got them down 14-0 with that move.

The kids fought hard the rest of the night to dig out of that hole but it was a bit too much to overcome.

I felt Union was a bit better overall team when the game was over.  Haven't seen Richlands yet but i think they can handle the Bears this week.

Should be a great atmosphere at Bullit Park.

Year in and year out Richlands has a hard time stopping the run of their style of offense. Just like the last two years I don't see this game being anything other than a very tight one. Union seems to play us better than anyone. I think if we can keep the offense on the field with slow drives ending in points we will be ok. I am taking the blues 21-20. Might see another field goal to win this one..................

I wasn't going to say a word about union .But I can't take all this union talk . Once again they are over rated all i heard all week is union by three scores. Travis turner (coach bonehead) said in the herald that he gave us one, he didn't give us anything. Past three years all I've heard is how union is going to be so good, they will be lucky to make playoffs. Richlands 35 Union 17

As almost all have said before,  I think it's another classic game between these 2 teams.

It was usually a good close game when it was just Powell Valley,  but it sems now it has even gotten closer.  Union always plays us tough and their style gives us problems on D and I don't think this year will be any different. 

The Blues D looked pretty good most of the night last week,  but they did have issues with tackling the GC RB's at times.  If they don't get better at tackling and wrapping up this week,  Union will have big rushing numbers and make it a long night for the blues,   but Mance & staff will work on that and are always very good at making Richlands better from week to week and making adjustments.  But I still think Union will get their yards.........they always have and i don't see that changing this year.

The Blues have to make sustained drives and score most drives.  After what I saw last week from River M at QB,  I think he is up to the task,  but this will be another first for him.  His first start as a varsity QB on the road in front of a big crowd,  it should be a big time learning experience for him.

It should be a great game and the team with the fewer turnovers usually win this type of game.  It'll be close and of course I am pulling for a blues win..........Blues 26 Bears 24

Green wave fan#5 I have no doubt you guys earned the win. I love your alls program and the way you all play. Football is it in Clintwood and I love it because that's the way it is here. Still sometimes a team just has your number and that's why I think it willbe very close. It has been said many times here and it is very true. There style of running is what gives us fits.

We are a attacking defense that charges the line and flies wide open towards the ball. When we play mis direction and counter playing offenses we have trouble staying in our lanes. That's the nature of the beast with our style of defense. We win some and lose some but I still love to see attacking and aggressive defenses!

If Union's coach said after the Clintwood game we gave it too them, I would say he might want to retract that statement and say that he cost his team! Going for a 4th and 1 at their own 14 yard line in the 2nd quarter makes no sense, if it had been in the 4th qtr and his team trailing, you might understand it. Anyway, Union is always a tough game. I think it will depend on if we can tackle this week, we gave up a lot of yards to GC last week from missed tackles. And unlike last year vs Union we have to maintain drives and hold on to the ball, and not commit over 100 yards in penalties. If we do these things, we can win, but it probably will come down to the 4th quarter just like the last 2 years.

To all richlands and union fans i have the up most respect for both programs. They have awesome fan support and great programs. I also agree that they play Richland tough every year. But I'm sticking with 35-17 blues. Clintwood had 170yds on the ground , but 9pen for 95 yds. 330 total yds

Green wave fan#5 I have no doubt you guys earned the win. I love your alls program and the way you all play. Football is it in Clintwood and I love it because that's the way it is here. Still sometimes a team just has your number and that's why I think it willbe very close. It has been said many times here and it is very true. There style of running is what gives us fits.

We are a attacking defense that charges the line and flies wide open towards the ball. When we play mis direction and counter playing offenses we have trouble staying in our lanes. That's the nature of the beast with our style of defense. We win some and lose some but I still love to see attacking and aggressive defenses!

i couldn't agree more, when a team has your number, for what ever reason, they are hard to defeat........

For years our coach and Powell Valley's coach were close, close enough to know just about what the other one wanted to do on the field of play.  I sure some of that traveled forward in their assistants. I think this plays in to some of those close games.

Union has size, speed, talent, numbers. All the the things it takes to be a high quality team, they just seem to be missing something, I think its toughness/grittyness and thats holding them back. Clintwood, above all else, has that and thats what has allowed them to be so good for the past several years.

Richlands should be able to handle Union but thats been the case for the past 2 years.

I would say Richlands by a TD but im hoping for a Union victory for my own selfish reasons

the R  apparently has trouble with  the "belly", i agree with redtiger, they (union) lack a spark,or something to get them going.......(akin to no TEAM leader)  if the R can figure out the belly series, then lay back and defend the wrs................

With very little time left in the fourth quarter, Richlands was ahead 21-14 and had possession.  They had two bad snaps.  On one there was a loss, and on the next play Colton Staten had a huge run for a first down.  At that point I thought it was all over.  On the next play (I think it was the next play) there was another bad snap that caused Richlands to lose 10 yards.  That was the critical play of the game in my opinion.  If Richlands had kept the ball and continued to run it down Union's throat on their last possession, the Blues would have won run out the clock and won the game.  But second and twenty turned into third and long, and Richlands had to punt.  A 16 yard punt gave Union the ball with pretty good field position, and to Union's credit they drove down the field with less than a minute to play and scored.  After that, Richlands would have been better off taking a knee and playing for a win in OT.  Union was at their best when in open field.  I know hindsight is 20/20, but the pass attempt deep in their own territory was a bad coaching decision.  No way around it.  With 16 seconds left deep in your own territory, you don't throw the football unless you are behind. 

Congrats to the Union kids for never giving up.  Also, good job by the Richlands players who fought their hearts out.  You guys should have never been put in that position, and deserved a better outcome.