Largets Crowd/Biggest Game at area stadiums...

cityofRaven

The 6,003 Robbins referred to were just the tix sold at the gate at game time. Back then students usually bought their tickets at school and many people bought their tickets during their week at certain stores in town that sold them...or bought them at the high school. The crowd that night was nearly an overflow crowd, but no one knows for certain exactly how many people piled into the park that night. I know first hand that the crowd had to be parted to get the players from the locker room to the field before the game tho.

I recall one year at the Bluefield Graham game...attendance figures were 14000 +....can't remember the year...z(most years are around the 10,000 mark... I have been to this game every year for the past 39 years and I don't recall attendance ever being less than 8,500 or 9,000... This year, the stands were pretty full...Plus there had to be a thousand or more people out in the parking lot at the tents and on the bouncy houses...etc....it has become a circus out in the parking lot the past few years...friend of mine could not believe it when he saw it....thought he was at a college game....  I told him, that's why that game  has been rated in the top 10 rivalries in the country in the past...

Giles always travels well come playoff time... I recall a few years back...a pivotal late October game between Giles and Floyd County (at Floyd County) where the attendance was 6,000 +.....you can imagine at Floyd County.....most of those people had to stand to watch the game....

Also, Pulaski Co. and Salem have drawn some large crowds in the past...I've been to a couple of PC and Salem games that had about 7,000 or 8,000 (the only games that I have been at that come close to Bluefield-Graham)

No doubt, in this part of the state/states the Graham-Bluefield game wins in the attendance race! We should all be proud that this nationally recognized rivalry is actually in "our neck of the woods!" In 1989, I witnessed over 10,000 fans enter the Salem City Stadium for the match-up betwen Graham and Salem. Salem handed Graham their only defeat that year; however, Graham rebounded nicely to win the D3 state title!

Beaver/Graham is obviously the clear favorite here but how about the other schools. For instance, I think I heard some old timer say that the Garden/Powell Valley region title game at Garden was the biggest crowd there. Also, it was mumbled that the Richlands/Salem game in 2004 was one of the biggest crowds at Ernie Hicks.

Powell Valley at Haysi in 05 was a pretty big crowd, I would imagine 1 of the PV@ Haysi games would be the biggest crowd at Haysi but that was a little before my time.

haha Powell Valley will probably be in lot of these

Way back in my day the VHS/THS (commonly called "V-T") game always drew a huge crowd.  It was the last game of the season for both teams with a full week of activities leading up to the actual game.  The "snake dance" down State Street was something to see.  Not sure of the attendance numbers but Milton Franklin's senior year was one of the biggest crowds I ever saw, but it was hard to tell how many were there from the field.

Doesn't seem to have the same luster and appeal anymore.

Grundy at Lebanon 1988, the year Lebanon went 10-0 Regular season and Grundy went 9-1 and both were picked to finish at the bottom of the SWD and the Powell Valley at Lebanon 1990 State Semi-Finals, each had a little over 7,000.

I recall one year at the Bluefield Graham game...attendance figures were 14000 +....can't remember the year...z(most years are around the 10,000 mark... I have been to this game every year for the past 39 years and I don't recall attendance ever being less than 8,500 or 9,000...

I believe the year you're referring to was the 1996 game.  Graham was coming off the state championship in VA, and Bluefield was coming off being runner-up in WV. 

Dobyns Bennett vs Science Hill last year was so huge that people were sitting in the baseball bleachers....and for those that don't know the football field is about 30 yards PAST left field.  If I remember correctly, the crowd was over 15,000.