John Battle/Gate City

Jethro

Being a GC fan, I'm not real sure how to take the "I don't care for Gate City fans very much" type comments. :)  Bearcat Bob...you do go on to say that "some of those fans are insufferable". I would GUESS that "some" of the fans for ALL schools are pretty insufferable. Having attended my fair share of high school events the last 30+ years, I can pretty much guarantee it.

I do understand the animosity toward GC football fans. GC has been pretty good in football for many, many years. (I wonder how GC ranks as far as winningest programs in VA? I hope someone looks that up and posts it.) Opposing fans understandably learn to dislike losing to GC. Just saying. (I do know how you feel. The Sullivan South fans are pretty loud. Sullivan South has been destroying GC. They are currently the 4th ranked 4A team in Tennessee.)

BTW, every other fan for GC does NOT have a cow bell. I would guess there were less than 10 cow bells at the GC - Lee game. Those that bring the bells just lke to use them.

Anyway.......back to the game.

I agree with the people who have said this game will come down to turnovers and big plays. Have not seen Battle play this year. I do know that GC played them toe-to-toe last year. This year's GC team is better than last year's team. This year's Battle team is not as good as last year's team (from what I have read.) But again, turnovers and big plays will decide this one.

Injuries continue to kill GC.

I'm not sure if Herron will play this week. Leg injury against Lee. He was averaging over 40 yards a punt return (according to the Kingsport Times News.) He had also inherited the starting tailback and starting defensive back jobs due to injuries. GC was forced to use the 4th string tailback some against Lee last week.

RB Hicks (the opening game starter at tailback) should play. He played some last week........with a cast on his arm. Makes holding on to the ball and catching passes a little more difficult.

GC had a defensive starter go down last week with a separated shoulder and separated elbow.

A look at common opponents:

Battle beat Abingdon by 16, Virginia High by 15, and Lebanon by 16.

GC beat Abingdon by 21, Virginia High by 12, and Lebanon by 19.

Based on common opponents, it looks like the teams should be pretty evenly matched.

Battle has a much better overall record. Looks like it is due to strenght of schedule. A look at the record of the non-common opponents. Battle's opponents have a 16-12 record. Almost half of those wins belong to Honaker (7 wins). Take Honaker's wins away, and the Battle opponents are only 9-12. Of course Battle played Honaker well.

GC's non-common opponents are a combined 27-10. A little more impressive than Battle's opponents at 16-12. Even if you take Sullivan South's 8-0 record out of the mix, GC's opponents would still be 19-10.

I would GUESS that GC would have Battle's record, even with all the injuries/turmoil, if they had played Battle's schedule.

Oh well, you still have to line up and play the game. Hope it is a good one.

"Opposing fans understandably learn to dislike losing to GC"...

"GC's non-common opponents are a combined 27-10. A little more impressive than Battle's opponents at 16-12. Even if you take Sullivan South's 8-0 record out of the mix, GC's opponents would still be 19-10"...

"I would GUESS that GC would have Battle's record, even with all the injuries/turmoil, if they had played Battle's schedule." 

These types of comments are all too common with many Gate City supporters.  True statement? Maybe, sure.  Appropriate?  I guess.  Annoying?  Yes.  Why?  Because it happens all the time.  I doubt you even see why these comments are irksome.  And I am not from Battle.

My dear old grandpa used to tell me not to put much stock in people who felt it necessary to brag on themselves or who belittle others.  Just saying...

I have attended 3 Haysi/GC games(2 football, 1 basketball) and we had problems with the GC fans at all 3 games. Generally comming over to Haysis side and yelling/causing trouble/etc. At the Bball game they were yelling at our cheerleaders, at the Fball game @ Haysi they were sitting on our side and at the Fball game @ GC they were yelling at our fans. There are bad fans everywhere but GCs seem to be special. 

My biggest issue with GC fans in general is alot of them are very loud/proud when the team is good but now that they arent those "fans" are very quiet. They arent really fans, just loudmouths. Someone like swvaoutdoors is the opposite of that, hes been a member here for several years and is as active on here as he has ever been.

But there are jerks everywhere. Ive had several run ins with Honaker fans, the mose recent was at the Honaker/Clintwood game. The gentleman asked "how bout them tigers?" and I informed him that Haysi was doing very well and we looking forward to the last game of the season.

"These types of comments are all too common with many Gate City supporters.  True statement? Maybe, sure."

Not trying to argue. Just wondering which of my statements you quoted may NOT be true. If they are true, what is wrong with saying them?

"Appropriate?  I guess."

Again, just wondering why they would NOT be appropriate. I didn't call out fans from any specific school. i actually said EVERY school has fans who are jerks. I would guess that most people on this board would agree with that. Why would my thoughts/comments not be appropriate for a public forum?

"Annoying?  Yes."

OK. I'll give you this one. I am sure they are annoying.

"Why?  Because it happens all the time. 

This is EXACTLY the point I was trying to make. The GC fans get on your nerves more than the fans from other schools because generally GC has a good football team. The fans from other schools generally have to listen to GC fans cheering a winning team. I completely understand how this gets old., and how GC fans may bother you more than other fants.

"I doubt you even see why these comments are irksome."

Just the opposite. I think I totally understand why these comments are irksome.

* To be clear, I am NOT talking about the fans who really are jerks, the fans who try to start trouble, or the fans who generally show a lack of respect for the other school or their fans. ALL schools have these type of fans. To think or say otherwise is simply naive.

"At the Bball game they were yelling at our cheerleaders"

I would never defend that type of action. None of the "fans" I have ever been with have done anything like that.

"at the Fball game @ Haysi they were sitting on our side"

I don't have a problem with this. I ASSUME there were no, or very few, seats on the other side.

I mentioned Sullivan South earlier. At the GC - Sullivan South game this year at GC, the South student section came to the game WAY early to get seats in GC's student section. The stadium was almost empty. They could of had any seats they wanted. They brought a big sign and hung it on the stadium. They cheered, yelled, and chanted the whole game. South kicked our tails all over the field, and we had to listen to the fans. Annoying? Of course. Options? Deal with it, have a better team, or don't play them. BTW, there were no incidents between the students or fans.

"My biggest issue with GC fans in general is alot of them are very loud/proud when the team is good but now that they arent those "fans" are very quiet. They arent really fans, just loudmouths."

I agree. I don't particularly care for the fans who just jump on the bandwagon when their team is winning. But you have got to realize that ALL fans talk more when their team is winning.

I was on this board last year and said GC had the worst team I had EVER seen at GC. Predicted they would win two ames.......they did. I guessed they would win four games this year. I hope I underestimated them this year.

"But there are jerks everywhere"

BINGO!

"GC's non-common opponents are a combined 27-10. A little more impressive than Battle's opponents at 16-12. Even if you take Sullivan South's 8-0 record out of the mix, GC's opponents would still be 19-10"...

"I would GUESS that GC would have Battle's record, even with all the injuries/turmoil, if they had played Battle's schedule." 

I noticed that you did not address these in your rather long and detailed response.  If you are going to "go there", you have to go all the way.  My suggestion:  LET IT GO.  

The more you try to prove your not a "typical Blue Devil", the more the typical you seem.. 

I have attended 3 Haysi/GC games(2 football, 1 basketball) and we had problems with the GC fans at all 3 games. Generally comming over to Haysis side and yelling/causing trouble/etc. At the Bball game they were yelling at our cheerleaders, at the Fball game @ Haysi they were sitting on our side and at the Fball game @ GC they were yelling at our fans. There are bad fans everywhere but GCs seem to be special. 

My biggest issue with GC fans in general is alot of them are very loud/proud when the team is good but now that they arent those "fans" are very quiet. They arent really fans, just loudmouths. Someone like swvaoutdoors is the opposite of that, hes been a member here for several years and is as active on here as he has ever been.

But there are jerks everywhere. Ive had several run ins with Honaker fans, the mose recent was at the Honaker/Clintwood game. The gentleman asked "how bout them tigers?" and I informed him that Haysi was doing very well and we looking forward to the last game of the season.

The closest I ever came to getting into a fight during a HS sporting event involved Gate City fans.   During my senior year, myself, several teammates and 2 coaches went to watch a Gate City basketball game.  They were next on our schedule and we had an off night.  While in line at the concession stand, several grown men from Gate City started running down our team, our city, even our cheerleaders, etc.  These weren't students, they were grown "men".  Seems that some things have not changed much. 

BTW, every other fan for GC does NOT have a cow bell. I would guess there were less than 10 cow bells at the GC - Lee game. Those that bring the bells just lke to use them.

Don't take that comment so literally. Of course I know that not every other fan has one. But one of the things that GC fans are known for are those cowbells, so it just seems that way sometimes (especially at some games I've been to in the past).

"At the Bball game they were yelling at our cheerleaders"

I would never defend that type of action. None of the "fans" I have ever been with have done anything like that.

"at the Fball game @ Haysi they were sitting on our side"

I don't have a problem with this. I ASSUME there were no, or very few, seats on the other side.

I mentioned Sullivan South earlier. At the GC - Sullivan South game this year at GC, the South student section came to the game WAY early to get seats in GC's student section. The stadium was almost empty. They could of had any seats they wanted. They brought a big sign and hung it on the stadium. They cheered, yelled, and chanted the whole game. South kicked our tails all over the field, and we had to listen to the fans. Annoying? Of course. Options? Deal with it, have a better team, or don't play them. BTW, there were no incidents between the students or fans.

The "fans" were standing directly behind our cheerleaders yelling, mostly cheering GC but the intention was obvious(intimidate teenage girls) and again they were on our side. That's about the closest ive ever come to getting in a fight at a game, me and a few friends went down to the GC fans and suggested they go back to their side. At the football game I really don't care if there was seating room or not, you sit on your own side(exception being GC home games where that section is on the "visitors side" but is designated as home seating) or stand around the fence. Sitting on the other teams side is a direct insult and is meant to be inflammatory.  I can see your point but its just not something you do. Now obviously if you are handicapped or elderly and need a seat, that's understandable.

As far as the GC/SS game, if the students from SS were on the GC side their principal should have came over an moved them back to their side. To not do that is disrespectful and asking for an incident at some point.

and not using you Great City as the GC example wasn't to exclude you, its was simply because swvaoutdoors has been on here a little longer and has a lot more posts. Hes a more established member. Hope you didn't take it the wrong way.

Bearcat bob, all 3 of my examples were grown men. They were in their 20s but none the less grown men.

I disagree about it being an insult for sitting on the other side seating during a game. I have sat manys times on the other teams side and watched a game. The difference is when you sit there is not to act like a idiot and have some respect. The only time i have ever had anything said was at grundy when a 10 year old told me to get my a$$ back on the other side. I acted like i didnt hear it and nothing else was said.

I disagree about it being an insult for sitting on the other side seating during a game. I have sat manys times on the other teams side and watched a game. The difference is when you sit there is not to act like a idiot and have some respect. The only time i have ever had anything said was at grundy when a 10 year old told me to get my a$$ back on the other side. I acted like i didnt hear it and nothing else was said.

Years and years ago wasnt the whole home side reserved seats?

ITS a good thing you didn't say anything that 10 year old would have worn your butt out!

I wish Gate City fans would sit on their "HOME SIDE" no sense when there is plenty room over there. The rednecks sit on the away side cause their own fans don't want them embarrassing them over there.

Bearcat Bob.....

noticed that you did not address these in your rather long and detailed response.  If you are going to "go there", you have to go all the way"

I'll make you a deal. I'll address them if you answer the questions I asked you. Deal? I'll assume you are a pretty stand up guy and will answer my questions. They are located in post #30.

I hope I don't ruffle your feathers too much here, but what i tried to explain is that GENERALLY Gate City has a good football team. A lot of area teams are used to losing to GC more than they are used to beating GC. I believe this contributes to a lot of fans not particularly caring for GC fans. (Again, I am NOT talking about or defending the fans who are jerks and don't behave appropriately. ALL schools have those fans. I don't agree with their behaviors no matter what school they cheer for). *Please see Jethro's comments below for an example of this.

GC's non-common opponents are a combined 27-10. A little more impressive than Battle's opponents at 16-12. Even if you take Sullivan South's 8-0 record out of the mix, GC's opponents would still be 19-10"...

Not really sure why you have a problem with these FACTS. Unless my math is wrong, which is always a possibility, these are just pure, hard facts. Hard to argue with facts.

Strength of schedule is always used in the BCS. It is also used by the VHSL. Should both of those organizations stop using, or talking about, strength of schedule.

I would GUESS that GC would have Battle's record, even with all the injuries/turmoil, if they had played Battle's schedule

Not really sure why you don't like this comment. Notice how I used the word "GUESS"? I didn't say that it was true. I simply gave my GUESS. You are more than welcome to make your own GUESS. I may not agree with it, but that is OK.

Bearcat Bob...you said "My dear old grandpa used to tell me not to put much stock in people who felt it necessary to brag on themselves or who belittle others."

You also said....."I don't care for Gate City fans very much.  Nothing against the players but some of those fans are insufferable." & "The more you try to prove your not a "typical Blue Devil", the more the typical you seem."

Really sounds like you are belittling an entire group of fans. Not sure what your dear old Grandpa would think of that.

Also sounds like you are trying to belittle me with the "typical Blue Devil" comment.

Helpful hint: It is NEVER a smart idea to judge an entire group/race of people based on the actions of a small minority of that group.

SWVAOUTDOORS.....

"When the Sullivan South students did what they did I actually thought it was cool. Really hoping it sparks a very good friendly border rivalry."

You know.....I also thought it was an OK thing to do.....as long as all the students kept their cool. It seems like the kids from both schools yelled and screamed a lot (the South kids got to scream a lot more), but there were no altercations.

JETHRO.....

"I wish Gate City fans would sit on their "HOME SIDE" no sense when there is plenty room over there. The rednecks sit on the away side cause their own fans don't want them embarrassing them over there".

The "home side" is for season ticket holders (except for the section reserved for the band). GC fans without season tickets sit on one end of the "visitor's side". Not a bad problem to have if you have so many fans they need to use both sides of the stadium.

"I can't stand gc. Of course I will pull for battle. gc always beat me in my time in school. I hold a grudge."

Kind of supports what I was trying to say. If a fan is used to losing to GC, they are going to not like the GC fans. I understand not caring for the fans who are acting like jerks. But as Jethro pointed out, he can't stand the entire town of Gate City because of "always" losing to GC.

"If hating Gate City was a job, I would be the CEO!!!!!!"

HaHaHa.  Got to admit. This is funny.

My dear old grandpa used to also say, "Never try to teach a pig to sing.  You'll just get frustrated and annoy the pig".  So, at the risk of being annoying, hear are my final remarks on the topic.  

Making comments that cannot be proven in anyway (i.e. "if we played your schedule, we would have a better record")  are condescending and generally meant to be an insult to the team to which they were directed.

Not everyone dislikes Gate City because "Gate City usually beats them".  You know what they say about making assumptions?  I dislike Gate City mainly because of the attitudes of many of their fans.  I do, however, respect their programs/players.

Yes, I use the term "typical Gate City fan" as a derogatory description.  I do not lump ALL Gate City fans into that category...only the arrogant, insufferable ones.  I base that characterization on posts made and actions observed, not wins and loses.  And the jury is still out on if this consists of only a "small" number of GC fans. 

I'll close with one thing my granny said often (though I think she borrowed it from Dr. Seuss): Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Oh yeah...I think Battle wins a close one.

I think Gate City is always cocky. They're fans are worse when they lose than when they win. Gate City is the home of sore losers.

I think a few more fans could fit into that category, as has been witnessed recently.  I haven't seen any Gate City fans on here crying about turnovers, etc. and refusing to give credit where credit is due, but I have seen fans of other schools who have a loser chip on their shoulder doing exactly that. 

"My dear old grandpa used to also say, "Never try to teach a pig to sing.  You'll just get frustrated and annoy the pig"."

Is that another belittlilng comment? Your Grandpa must be having a fit.

"Making comments that cannot be proven in anyway (i.e. "if we played your schedule, we would have a better record")  are condescending and generally meant to be an insult to the team to which they were directed."

Not sure if you are trying to twist my words, or if you really believe what you are typing. If you will go back and read my post, I said I would GUESS that GC would have the same record as Battle if we had played their schedule. Never stated it as a fact. Just my opinion. According to your Granny, it is OK for me to say what I feel. Right?

"Making comments that cannot be proven in anyway (i.e. "if we played your schedule, we would have a better record")  are condescending........"

Would comments about an entire fan base fall into that category? I'm pretty sure those type of comments couldn't be proven.

If they can't be proven, then using your logic, they would also be condescending, and thus belittling. You should have listened more to your Grandpa.

"You know what they say about making assumptions?"

Is that anything like assuming an entire fan base is bad because of the actions of a few fans? Or, that someone is a typical (derogatory) fan of particular school?

I think that is more of an example of ignorance.

I dislike Gate City mainly because of the attitudes of many of their fans."

So essentially, you dislike the fans who act like jerks, and not the entire fan base? Right?

Good to hear. I agree with you. I also dislike the fans from all schools who act like jerks. Great to know we are on the same page.

"I do, however, respect their programs/players"

Just when I start thinking I understand you, you pull a comment like this out of your hat.

Which is it? Do you dislike everything GC, or only dislike the fans who act like jerks?

If it is the former, I think you have some issues. If it is the latter, I agree with you.

"Yes, I use the term "typical Gate City fan" as a derogatory description."

Belittling? Look out Grandpa.

" I do not lump ALL Gate City fans into that category"

Glad to hear that you at least think there are some "good" GC fans. I actually found it hard to believe that you disliked ALL GC fans.

But, if you don't lump all fans in that category, how can you use the term "typical GC fan"?

I'm beginning to believe that you don't know what you think.

"I'll close with one thing my granny said often (though I think she borrowed it from Dr. Seuss): Be who you are and say what you feel......"

Your Grandpa and Granny must have had some serious conversations.

So, it is OK for me to say what I feel..........unless you disagree with it?

Apparently we are just going to have to disagree and move on. I sincerely hope you don't judge an entire community, or fan base, based on the actions of a few individuals.

I don't plan on making the trip to Battle tomorrow. I hope both teams play error free ball, and that there are no injuries

For the most part Gate City has great fans! I have really enjoyed our games through the years good and bad. Sure there are bad eggs there but we have them to. I love having a loud and electric atmosphere on game night! It definitely pumps the boys up and after all that's what its all about anyway.

I haven't seen Battle play this year but really enjoy seeing what's happening there. Its great to see a team turn it around the way they have and there fans excited about Friday nights. I have seen Gate City of course. My thoughts are........if the Hicks kid plays and can run the ball.....Gate City can win. If he doesn't then Battle probably wins.

I have to agree with others here turnovers can very well decide a game that most believe to be a close one. Good luck to both!!! Should be a great game.

The Hicks kid should play. I don't know if he will still have the cast on his arm. If so, not sure how effective he can be.

I saw Caleb Herron (starting tailback) last night at the GC - Wise Central volleyball game. He was on crutches and had a brace on his lower leg. Doesn't look good for him. We were down to giving our 4th string tailback carries last week. Looks like he will get some carries tonight as well.