The Team

oldfalcon56

Nothing personal Great City but I say let Kingsport annex Gate City...they probably have more TN athletes on their squads than they do from VA.

Your school literally sits on a state line, and you say that Gate City has more TN than VA players? That makes zero sense....

One of the many long standing usual comments they get from those that aren't going to admit just simply a better program, haha.  I'd say they probably have had more Lee County, or former Lee Co., or family originally Lee Co. athletes than TN athletes.  Danged Union and Gate City get the benefits of our county system's deficiancies, lol.

Honestly, GC is not nearly as good this year as we have been the last few years.

Currently we have a 12-4 record. We have been winning some games by some very small margins.We have played pretty badly in our last two games. Not sure what has happened. Very short postseason if we keep playing the same way. VA High and Lebanone both would beat us by 20+ points if we keep playing like this. 

Now our losses are pretty "good" losses. Lost 2 games in the Arby's Classic, lost at Floyd Conty, and lost at home to Mt. Mission. No shame in any of those losses.

Ryan...ever ride through and look at the tags on the vehicles in the Gate City parking lot?  A whole lot of TN tags there.  And not all of them are teachers...or they have a really good student/teacher ratio.  It is routine and common knowledge that many TN athletes that can't cut it at the bigger TN schools in close proximity to Gate City transfer to Gate City.  You won't hear anybody from Gate City denying it either...it is easy enough to prove.  To my knowledge, there are no TN residents attending VHS. 

You are aware that Gate City and Kingsport are very close are you not?  I guess it would make no sense to someone who is not familiar with the area or that practice. 

Beamerball.  Thanks for your 2 cents.  Never said Gate City doesn't have good programs.  Just pointing out that they aren't all home grown or even from same state.  You denying that is the case? 

Bob,

I am very close to GC athletics. Have been for many years. You are 100% wrong when you say " It is routine and common knowledge that many TN athletes that can't cut it at the bigger TN schools in close proximity to Gate City transfer to Gate City".

You are obviously wrong that "You won't hear anybody from Gate City denying it either." I just did.

I am 100% sure there are TN residents attending school at GC. I talked to a couple of them last night at the GC - John Battle basketball game. One plays basketball on the girl's team. The other does not play any sports. BTW, these are not kids who transferred to GC because they couldn't compete in TN. These are kids that started elementary school in Scott County (while living in TN). My kids have gone to school with these kids since kindergarten.

The TN residents at GC fit into four categories: (1) Their parents attended GC and they want their kids to attend the same school. (2) One of their parents work around GC and they bring their kid to school on their way to work. (3) The kid got in trouble at another school and transferred to GC for a clean start. (4) The kid started school at GC, the family moved to TN, the kid wants to graduate with his/her friends.

To think that "many" TN athletes come to GC for sports is funny. Like it was pointed out above, I guess that rumour does make some people feel better. Heck, if you can't beat 'em, try to rationalize/justify why you lose.  

Now I do remember MANY years ago that two kids, I think from Daniel Boone, came to GC so they could play football. This was probably 20 years ago or so.

Have there been other TN residents that have played sports at GC? Of course. Not sure who would ever deny that. To think that there are kids coming to GC TO play sports as some sort of "practice" is utterly ridiculous.

There are also TN kids at GC who do NOT play sports. Imagine that.

The only kid that I am 100% sure that recently transferred schools TO play sports, is a kid who transferred TO Dobyns Bennet FROM Gate City to play baseball. This was a couple of years ago.

Not sure how it works in other counties, but Scott County does NOT charge any kind of tuition for out of county students to attend a Scott County school. If you can get your kid to one of our schools, the kid can attend.

Hey....I'll probably be in the GCHS parking lot in a few minutes. I'll take a quick tally of the TN tags. What is your guess?

Great City...I'd say at least 15-20. 

You are taking this out of context I think...or I am failing to communicate properly.  I think/know that Gate City benefits from having kids attend school even though they live in TN.  Sports or otherwise doesn't matter.  It is a fact that Gate City benefits from being so close to several TN schools.  And you are fooling yourself if you do not think that (on occasion) a kid who is marginal at a huge school like DB does not cross the line to play at a small VA school. I am not knocking Gate City (Scott County) for allowing this.  They obviously take advantage of the set up.  Just like the hold back thing.  It is legal and all schools can choose to do it.  Most just don't.   Doesn't matter to me one way or the other. 

And my first "jab" about TN annexing Gate City was tongue in cheek and not meant as a serious provocation. 

Beamer...You know that was not the gist of the comment.  But let me explain for you.  If you are an athlete at a huge school like D-B, you will have a better chance of playing sooner at a smaller school.  Example:  My nephew played at DB.  They had about 100 players on the Varsity roster.  They were 5 guys deep at his position.  He didn't start until halfway through his junior year.  He played behind an equally gifted player who was a year ahead of him.  But he waited his turn and ended up playing at a D-1 college on a full scholarship and is now an officer in the military.  Some are not that patient.   If he would have crossed the street to Gate City, he probably starts as a freshmen or sophomore.  Or at least he would have had less competition for field time. 

I'll break it down into even simpler terms:  Big school = lots of bodies/more competition:  Small school = less competition/fewer players.  Therefore, more opportunity to play sooner at a small school.  And I'll wager a great deal that more than a few have jumped the state/county line just for that reason...