8-29-14 Football Updates- Week 1

Ryan4VT

We beat a fine football team tonight. There's a rumor that this was the last of the series. If it is, it's a shame we had those officials. Worst I've seen in my 42 years.

I have to agree with you Quincy about both points !  The refs were terrible for both teams,  they seemed at times lost and had no idea what they were doing.

As I said, play ball.  Its your job to keep the other team from scoring.  If you can't, then you get 76 hung on your ass.  I have no problem with it...Graham needs to learn how to play better defense...

I don't really mind Bluefield hitting 70. Graham was scoring every time they had the ball, too. If it's still a 3-score game, it really is hard to let off the gas. But the 2-point conversion, and the final score with 6 seconds left, were just piling it on. If it were an isolated incident, it could be overlooked more easily, but Bluefield has a history of doing that to so many teams that it's hard work for them to field a schedule every year. I guess it's a difference in the programs. Graham's too classy to return the favor. I wish they would. Just like '01, there'll be a chance somewhere.

Not denying that Graham needs to learn how to play defense and not suck the outside guys in on every single play. Boy, they do. But a little class would go a long way.

Bluefield has an amazing team this year, I respect what they have put together....I am a fan of Graham and when they are not playing I pull for  Bluefield.....but the way they handled that last drive, when they could've taken a knee with 6 seconds left...that's something you don't forget for a while....I felt like they purposefully tried to disrespect our kids at Graham......

It's a little different if there's 3 or 4 minutes left and you have your backups in and they are trying to score....you let the backups play and try to score...but 6 seconds and you run it in??  I'm baffled.

FINAL (LY) Rye 72, Holston 62

outpointed the Blfd game  134-124.

Highest regular season, non-overtime combined score between two VHSL teams.

Highest regular season, non-overtime combined score between since 1925

Third highest regular season,,combined score involving a VHSL team

Tim Hayesâ€@Hayes_BHCSports19 mins

Rye Cove used 15 players total in that 72-62 victory over Holston last night.