Adrian Peterson's Career = OVER.

Deleted Account

So you can't even discipline your own kids now days huh? Good thing for my dad the world wasn't like this when i was young years ago or he would have been in jail until the time i was 16 yrs old

You didn't see the pictures, did you?

There's discipline. Then there's what Peterson did to his son.

Whipping a kid with a switch is one thing but I do think Peterson went too far. I dont think he had any malicious intent but that was the result. Several of the marks broke the skin and at least 1 hit the boy in the genitals. Also he gave the boy 10-15 licks (per Peterson) and to me thats a lot for a whipping.  When I think whipping I think 4-5. 

I dont think his career is over tho. Its not like he gave the boy a bunch of bruises and a black eye.

His intent was right, he just went a little too far.

On a side note, ESPN had to explain what a switch was lol  I think most of us know all too well what one is!

I also saw where some journalists said Peterson beat his son with a tree branch. Terrible journalism

When I first read the reports, my thought was "so what? Me and my brothers got whipped with switches, big leather belts, hands....you name it", but then I read later that the whippings brought blood, bruises, and he hit the kid in the genitals (said that part was an accident). I agree that this was too much of a whipping and should be considered child abuse. What this'll do though is turn more people against whippings and there'll be more talk about banning such punishment. Also, I did read that part where they said he used a tree branch. Even if you aren't familiar with the word "switch" and even though switches are technically branches, just saying that he used a tree branch makes it seem much worse. Shouldn't have worded it that way.

Yeah I do agree he went too far and probably alot of it was "in the heat of the moment" type thing....I have no problem with a parent disciplining his kid ever how he seems fit....and I think that nobody should ever judge a person on how they discipline their children.....alot of people these days just discipline their kid by buying them a new XBOX game or something like that.....I was brought up different and I knew I was in the wrong and a day after i got my butt beaten i knew it was for my own good

My mama would whip us with just about anything. Coat hangers, switches, belts, you name it I was probably whipped with it. What is really sad about this situation is there is no privacy for any athlete.  Sure he probably went to far in whipping his kid but the young an may have needed a whipping.

Sad for him, our world is so different now days that parents have to be careful in everything they do regarding their children.  

I was whipped with switches but that doesn't make it right, then or now.  My mom will tell you today she was wrong for her actions.  I don't hold any ill will toward her for it.  She was a single mother raising two boys without help from anyone, including our drunk ass, dead beat father!

I have never hit my children with anything but the palm of my hand on their behind and only once.  Every time I have, I ask them the same question, "Do I have your attention now?".  It is a measure of last resort for me that I have only used a hand full of times with each child.  Ask yourself the question out loud, is it acceptable to hit my children with objects that would be a felony if I were to hit an adult?

My mama would whip us with just about anything. Coat hangers, switches, belts, you name it I was probably whipped with it. What is really sad about this situation is there is no privacy for any athlete.  Sure he probably went to far in whipping his kid but the young an may have needed a whipping.

Sad for him, our world is so different now days that parents have to be careful in everything they do regarding their children.  

This sentiment just frustrates the bejeezus out of me.  

I mean no offense in what I'm about to say.  When you phrase it like this, it diminishes Peterson's culpability in the whole matter.  If Peterson's son had done something warranting punishment, then punish him.  But the second you cross that line, like what Peterson did, that whole "well, he needed a spanking" logic vanishes.  It's further not a "parents need to be careful" matter.  It's a "parents cannot abuse children" matter.  There's a clear difference in correction and abuse, and it's not even an arguable judgment call here.

I was spanked(hand on butt) when I was very young and got whipped with a belt or a switch(usually a belt) as I got older(when I was 14 I got whupped(!) with a stick of firewood. The whippings, I dont remember what I did to deserve them, the piece of firewood I do remember and Iwas WAY outta line with my Mom, I deserved what I got. Everyone rags on timeout but I can clearly remember getting sent to my room or being grounded and what I did to sdeserve those punishments. Those stuck with me.

To me corpral punishment has its place(as sixcat said as an attention getter) or do demonstrate that the behavior has reached a higher level.

It is hard for me to imagine whipping a 4 yo with a switch 10 or 15 times. I think Peterson probably needs some parenting classes, something to help him with alternative punishments and when corpral punishment should be used.

I am older than dirt, and was whooped many times.  I was also beaten once or twice.  There is a clear difference. My grandmother whipped me with a switch, I was whipped with a belt.  I was beaten with a belt and once with a garden hose.

The difference for me was intent and severity.  I was whipped for things I deserved, usually two or three swats and done.  I was beaten for things that I may or may not have deserved and there was no intent to teach a lesson.  Beatings left welts and lasted longer.  The purpose of a beating is to relieve the rage of the beater.

I do no object to whippings, but hate beatings.