Richlands @ Wilson Memorial (2A Semis)

V-Cats

I think that it will mirror the Gate City game to a great extent. Im thinking Wilson is very much like Gate City in that they like to run and then run some more. They run a Wing T and/or Double Wing  with an average of about 4 passes a game. Like Gate City they look to be strong up front with good size and pretty physical. Three good backs ( the best one was injured last week but don't know his status) two quick and one bowling bowl...lol. On defense much like Gate City they are very strong at LB. I think much like Mance did against GC we will try and make them play out in space.

Wilson has at least a couple that can score from anywhere. I think the game will come down to there Defense against our O line. If River has time to throw to 5 W/R"s.....I think we will win. I think just like Gate City...Wilson will score and we will have to outscore them of course. Much easier said than done though because there defense is ranked #1 in 2A im pretty sure. I think we win another nail biter

Richlands - 27

Wilson - 21

I think that it will mirror the Gate City game to a great extent. Im thinking Wilson is very much like Gate City in that they like to run and then run some more. They run a Wing T and/or Double Wing  with an average of about 4 passes a game. Like Gate City they look to be strong up front with good size and pretty physical. Three good backs ( the best one was injured last week but don't know his status) two quick and one bowling bowl...lol. On defense much like Gate City they are very strong at LB. I think much like Mance did against GC we will try and make them play out in space.

Wilson has at least a couple that can score from anywhere. I think the game will come down to there Defense against our O line. If River has time to throw to 5 W/R"s.....I think we will win. I think just like Gate City...Wilson will score and we will have to outscore them of course. Much easier said than done though because there defense is ranked #1 in 2A im pretty sure. I think we win another nail biter

Richlands - 27

Wilson - 21

Spot on. To me, it comes down to three things:

1. Their D line vs our O line. If we can push them around in run blocking and then hold them decently on pass plays, I think River can have a big day throwing and running and Waldron/Vance/Griff (if he plays) can have some nice rushing yards.

2. Their LBs ability to cover our slot receivers. When you spread 5 wide, they either have to put a LB in coverage, or go to a nickel package. I know they are athletic, but I don't think their LBs can cover Collins at all. And if they go nickel, then I would expect to see plenty of River up the middle and motioning Zeke/Waldron in the backfield for some runs against that pass formation.

3. Our front 7 on D vs their offense. They aren't very deceptive with where the ball is. Just follow the pulling guard and you've got the direction of the ball 80% of the snaps that I've watched. I also don't think their offense is built to throw at all. So if we can have success against McCauley and Swift, then I think we win.

Wilson was a doormat for a lot of years.  They only recently started having a little success.  I expect Richlands to roll them, mainly because of the experience factor, the "been there, done that" kind of thing. 

I highly doubt that the game would be moved.  I think if the venue can hold 2500, not necessarily seat 2500, that the VH$L is okay with that. 

Agree with what you said about the game Razor with the only exception being that I am a little more worried about their D-backs,  much more than I was worried about GC's D-backs.

GC was big and VERY good up front, their front 7 was really good,  but their main weakness was the D-backs.  Everything I have heard and read about Wilson is that their LB's and D-backs are VERY good, and they do a good job defending the pass.  But that being said,  a lot of the teams in their district ( from what I heard,  so take that for what it's worth )  run the ball mostly,  I don't think they have played many if any that will spread the field like we will so I hope that helps us.

We will have to play better against the run and try to keep the big runs to a minimum.

But heck,  what do I know,  I'm really good at sitting on my couch and yelling at the TV and radio !  I'm the best coach in the country as long as I am on the couch.....lol.  I like to think I know more than I do,  while coach Mance and the rest of his staff have forgot more football than I will ever know.

I think another big aspect is turnovers. As good as Gate City's defense has been all year our offense was prolific against them. The only problem on offense was the turnovers. We had 3 in comparison to GC having one. One of which was returned for a td. I don't think for one second Richlands can beat Wilson with 3 turnovers as we did last week (no disrespect intended to Gate City of course) I think without the pick six and perhaps another of the turnovers not happening the score could've been something like 38-21 or 42-21.Perhaps not, but just my opinion. I think we'll have to have a game like that to beat Wilson

If you look at records they are 12-1 but out of the 10 regular season games they only two have winning records. If you watch any of their games they play a lot of man on d I think river picks that apart. Its easy to have great looking secondary when everyone in the county knows when the pass is coming. A lot of their games this year the game plan was the same for both teams run run run pass only when need be. Don't forget they average 4 passes a game bluefield threw 4 passes in our game and three went for a pick two for pick six. So let them praise their d and keep sleeping on ours go big blue. I think the experience helps the blues pull away in this one

Let's remember in 2010 when all we heard from Brookville was that "Richlands just played that weak single A schedule " and we went up there and tore them a new one. So we need not overlook anyone because of schedule. They have beaten some good teams in the post season, so that makes them "bonafide"

Brian Woodsonâ€@bdtwoodson8 hrs8 hours ago

Don't count out the Blues in the state semifinals on Saturday at Wilson Memorial

great state

Excerpt:

"But the Blue Tornado hasn't seen a defense like Wilson’s. They will also have a hard time stopping the Green Hornets on the offensive side of the field. It’s a combination that will keep the Green Hornets playing into the middle of December.

To heck with basketball, the Hive still has football fever. So keep the date: December 13, 4:30 p.m. at Salem Field. It’s the 2A football final."

http://www.dailyprogress.com/newsvirginian/in-layman-s-terms-wilson-last-man-standing/article_e6278c50-7997-11e4-bee9-2310bc09cf59.html

Good article by Gregory/BHC on Coach Mance...

Posted: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 12:45 am

Gregory | Bristol Herald Courier

Gotta love the statement he made on Colley/Haysi...“James is one of the best offensive minds around and his kids love him,†Mance said. “James will even call time out in a 7-on-7 game to try and beat you.â€

http://www.tricities.com/sports/article_c0f4c70c-7aa7-11e4-8f10-5b9a8fb4271e.html

Thanks for that link trublue ! 

Really good read and makes me even appreciate Mance and the REST of the coaches even more than i already do !   I just hope that we have many more years of getting to watch him on our sideline !  We are very lucky to have him and all the coaches on the staff,  they all work hard and do a fantastic job.

Really can't wait to watch the game Saturday. Makes me wish I could strap it on one more time. I hope my brothers go prove them wrong. To the fans...where were you guys from 2011-2013 excluding the 2012 Tazewell game....showed up in full force at Gate City, I like it and I hope you guys keep it up for years to come.GO BLUE smack them in the mouth

Saturday can't get here soon enough!  You folks in SWVA may find this surprising but darn near the whole area outside of the Hornet Hive (Fishersville) in Augusta County/Waynesboro is actually pulling for you guys to beat Wilson.  There may be some guys in red or maroon jackets sitting alongside your fans, as Wilson is the most disliked fan base in our area.  They have been called white-collar-subdivision kids, and the families in their school district tend to be better off financially than the other schools in Augusta County.  Makes sense as the community hospital is in Fishersville, as well as many other businesses. I personally like the fans from Wilson as they show a lot of support to their teams, but if you were to ask any of the surrounding schools who their least favorite fan base is, they would say Wilson.

I have seen Wilson play a couple times this year, and their defense is their key to success and it is most definitely their strong point.  Their offense has athletes and gets a lot of love from the local media, but their O feeds off of what their defense does.  When they played a consistent offense that was able to make their defense look average, they picked up their only loss (Riverheads) and only put up 14 points.  The Wilson offense relies on the defense to get turnovers, provide them short fields, and even score points.  I think Richlands has a good shot to beat them if they can attack the weak spots on that defense, honestly, and it sounds like they have the QB to do it.  I will say that their back 7 are very good, and that their front line isn't as good (but still better than most).  Riverheads won the battle up front in that game, and played 3 yards at a time, without trying to go for the homerun so it took the back 7 out of the game.

Well, got to watch some extensive film today on WM.  My thoughts are their defense is stifling against the run, don't think quite tested like they will be against River and the spread, will be new to them and not saying they wont be able to cover but it may very well be a offense they will have to adjust to.  For them offensively, pound the rock....three yards is a victory.  Most of their scoring drives came 6-8-10 minutes long.  Our defense MUST have some tackles for loss or no gain.  #88 is seventy freaking feet tall (not really obviously, but very tall)....if they wanted to do a jump ball to him every play, not quite sure we have anyone that can out jump him.  Summary:  RIchlands OFFENSE will be the key in this game.  River and company will need to be in the same mode they were in against GC and Marion and I have no doubt that they will be.  As always it starts up front and I like our chances with our OL.  REALLY, really excited for this game and cannot wait until Saturday to see this game go down.  Depending on what time the cool front moves through the region it could be a rainy game, and as always   THE STORM IS COMING NORTH ON 81.  See you at the game!!