Richlands @ Wilson Memorial (2A Semis)

V-Cats

Jim Saccoâ€@Sacco_BHCSports10 hrs10 hours ago

Cordle, Farris on the sideline for Richlands, but cheering long. #HCFH #VHSL http://www.tricities.com/sports/article_b612bbee-7c1b-11e4-a2c5-27387431c5b8.html … pic.twitter.com/2PD86noti5

B4EAbFZCcAENsh0.jpg

great state

Thing that always concerns me when we get up state is what kind of refs are we going to have. Always seems we get calls

you don't see in our part of the country.

I'm with ya on that. I usually figure the Blues are a touchdown behind and have 50 yards in penalties when they get off the bus. The Rockbridge Co. game will always stick in my mind as one of the worst, since officials at that level should be the best of the best. Not the shameful crew I saw. I've always loved the fact that the team uses it as a battle cry and never gives up. Safe travels to all. Smack 'em in the mouth Blues.

ba961

Posted Yesterday, 05:52 PM

The rudest people I have ever seen. Can see why teams around hear dislike them we out number their fans 3-1 as well

What did they do to you to give you that impression?  I'm not discrediting what you are saying, but this is a common complaint directed at their fanbase, and I am just curious to know what they did to rub you the wrong way.

I LOVED seeing the Richlands fanbase at the game today. Just to be clear, I am not a Wilson or Richlands fan, it was just the game I chose to attend this week, as it was in my neck of the woods.  You guys packed the house, and your fans remind me of high school football in Texas, very cool.

Not to nitpick, but it looked pretty even between the number of Richlands/Wilson fans in attendance today, but I would bet you would outnumber them by quite a bit, had this game been played at your stadium.  It didn't appear to me that there was a 3-1 ratio of Richlands to Wilson but hey, maybe I am off base.

Anyway, great game, and I hope to catch more SWVA football in the future, but actually watch the games down there.

I know that some of the Wilson fans over on the Va preps site are being very complimentary of the Richlands fans and team.  Saying that this was the biggest fan base they have ever had in their stadium & what a great atmosphere it made,   and that the Blues fans they met were very nice.  I know that the guys on WGTH  were very complimentary of Wilson, saying they were treated very good and how nice everyone was to them.

So it sounds like for the most part the meeting between our 2 fan bases went well.  I'm sure there are exceptions and I hate to hear that ba961 had a bad experience,  but I hope most of the other Blues fans and Wilson fans had a great time and enjoyed a very good game.

I want to wish Wilson the best next week.

I hope all the fans from all the teams had a safe trip home.

I like the R proud thing and I AM R PROUD TOO.

Some very solid wins this season and then made it to State Semi's impressive fellows impressive.

Thanks to all those Seniors who gave their hearts to their last season and to all those under classman, get in the weight

and make the MOST of what you have left.

GOOD LUCK TO WILSON HOPE YOU PUT IT TO GLENVAR. They have a couple of posters on VA preps that are truly classless.

I am still hurting from the Hornet sting I guess....lol

Great game! Wilsons defense surprised me and I know that they had only given up 5 TD"s all year but I really thought that if River had time to throw that they could not cover all of our receivers. They did for the most part and that surprised me. I really thought that after we got late into the game they would wear down because they had blown most people out and that with our physical play and having to battle until the end in several games this year we would take it to them and win. They did not wear down at all. They were very athletic all over the field and not as physical as Gate City but they were physical.

River for the most part had plenty of time to throw the ball but it had to be short hard thrown balls and that worked very effectively the whole game. When we tried to throw the ball down the seam or try a fly pattern they were just to fast to jump our receivers and we couldn't manage that. So blaming River for all the interceptions is not fair. Sometimes you just have to shake your head and say great play by the opponent. They were just more athletic than we were in many areas. That being said we had plenty of opportunities to win this game and just couldn't pull it out. Even with 5 TURNOVERS we had a chance to win. That is pretty amazing considering their defense.

Our defense was just as impressive as they were. They were definitely sore this morning and now know that FOOTBALL in the "Good Ole SWVA" is very smash mouth and physical. I know we earned there respect because many and I mean many of there fans talked to us before and after the game with nothing but respect. It has been mentioned in many areas that Wilson is hated and very arrogant people. My experience was nothing of the sort. Of course there were some idiots on there side that I had to ignore and there AD was not the best people person I have ever met but the overwhelming majority of the Wilson folks were just great and showed good sportsmanship. There football players also showed good sportsmanship in which I did not expect.

I want to say thanks to all of the members on this board for all the kind posts you made towards Richlands this season. I HATE to lose and despise the agony of defeat.....It hurts!!!!!! We had so many great games this year and in many instances during the season it wasn't clear that there was an overwhelming favorite unless it would have been Honaker in 1A and Gate City in 2A. There was some great football and I enjoyed all the games and all the "verbal  jousting" with you guys. We love our football and that's why we spend the time we do on here doing this. Cant wait for next year all ready and our Richlands boys will be back after it in the Fieldhouse working very hard for next year on Monday.

Congratulations to Honaker, Haysi and Richlands for there State Semis run. I wish so bad that it could have been different for all three. I know Haysi and Richlands raised some eyebrows and earned respect from how many fans traveled a good distance to support there team. No matter what they say don't believe that we just had about the same number of fans that Wilson had. It wasn't even close because we outnumbered them at least two to one.....just amazing! Big cudos to Tigers gang and all the Haysi fans that made that ridiculous trip to Essex.....that speaks for itself!

Thanks LANCE and GMan for providing this outlet for us all......I really appreciate all you guys do. To all the members here and good friends I have made....I hope you all have a Merry CHRISTMAS and a great New Year !

I think the only people in that area who say Wilson is hated and arrogant are the Riverheads supporters.  According to a blog in the Shenandoah Valley, neither team was very good for many years.  Riverheads finagled their way into D-1 for several years and had some success, winning several D-1 titles.  The Wilson folks scoffed at them because they were winning against schools much smaller than they.  It took Wilson a little longer to build a program but they did it against schools their size...or so goes the story.

My recent experiences have shown that Riverheads folks are the arrogant ones.

I know Haysi and Richlands raised some eyebrows and earned respect from how many fans traveled a good distance to support there team. No matter what they say don't believe that we just had about the same number of fans that Wilson had. It wasn't even close because we outnumbered them at least two to one.....just amazing!

I don't think there were twice as many Richlands folks as Wilson at the game.  The Wilson bleachers hold 3 times as many people as the away side and it was full except for where they had the student section blocked off (and those students didn't sit there, as they stood along the fence).  They also had a bunch of people lining the fence, including near the fieldhouse (as did Richlands) and concession stand.   It looked pretty even honestly, but if I had to say which side had more I would say Richlands, but certainly not 2 or 3 times as many people.  Still an impressive showing in the rain (for both schools) and with a long road trip for Richlands.  Interestingly enough, the guys from the local newspaper didn't think you brought as many fans as they expected.  I would love to see how many you have at your home games.

I think the only people in that area who say Wilson is hated and arrogant are the Riverheads supporters.  According to a blog in the Shenandoah Valley, neither team was very good for many years.  Riverheads finagled their way into D-1 for several years and had some success, winning several D-1 titles.  The Wilson folks scoffed at them because they were winning against schools much smaller than they.  It took Wilson a little longer to build a program but they did it against schools their size...or so goes the story.

My recent experiences have shown that Riverheads folks are the arrogant ones.

Wilson and Riverheads are the two that everybody dislikes in the area.  Wilson's fanbase for all sports and Riverheads football program are the top two most hated.  Odd fact on Riverheads, they have been in 2A for this vhsl cycle, and magically ended up with 475 students for the next cycle, so they will be back in 1A next year.  They beat Wilson this year though... and in 1 of Riverheads' 3 state championships, Wilson was the only team to beat them.  The guy who built the Wilson program to what it is today is now the head coach/ad at Waynesboro High School (the 16 seed that was a game away from the state semis this year).

And another thing one side of there bleachers maybe had twelve people in the whole thing. I know this for certain because we stared at it for four hours and there AD told us we were welcome to go fill that side up! If you want to backdoor hate on us at least argue something about the game that mattered because the fans wasn't the issue!

And another thing one side of there bleachers maybe had twelve people in the whole thing. I know this for certain because we stared at it for four hours and there AD told us we were welcome to go fill that side up! If you want to backdoor hate on us at least argue something about the game that mattered because the fans wasn't the issue!

That spot you are referring to is the section they had marked off for the student section and that had probably 2 sections of available seating that should have been in use by either team.  Folks on the Wilson side were annoyed at that as well.  If you think I said that out of hate then you are incorrect, as I was just stating what I saw at the game from an unbiased perspective. 

I didn't join this board to get into arguments, I love talking hs football history and I just love high school sports as a whole.  I joined this site to get some insight on swva football as I've never gotten to attend any games down there, and I am planning a move to Bristol over the next year, and I figured I'd provide yall with some insight to the area teams I got a chance to watch this year (Wilson and Broadway).  Now that I have seen which rivalry games I need to attend for next year, I may no longer post on this board anymore, I will stick to twitter, facebook and other outlets, but I'll give it some more time.  Same type of stuff made me not renew my membership on the VA Preps site a while back.

No hate towards Richlands or their fanbase from this guy.  Actually, nothing but respect for SWVA football and their fanbases. Sorry, you took my posts that way.

I accept that if it matters to you. It struck me odd you arguing for the second time in two posts to Richlands guys. You stated yours and we stated ours. I personally thought once was enough and call it thin skinned if you want but that's my take on it. If you cant get along with me....you cant get along with anybody...lol

I haven't welcomed you to the board yet so here it is.....WELCOME to the Board "Peoples Champ"

You will find this board very humorous, engaging and friendly. It talks all of it to make it what it is.....The best Board in the State! ( my opinion....lol) 

Doesn't really matter to me lol, and trust me, I didn't mean what I was saying in an aggresive way (don't let the username fool ya, I'm too old for conflict anymore).  I just thought maybe I had overstepped my bounds being on this site and not actually residing in the area yet.  Thanks for the welcome and sorry for the sensitivity and thin skin on my part, today's been the Monday of all Mondays! haha

In regards to debating something about the game that actually mattered: who hired those darn officials?!?!

Now we are talking!!!!!!!!!! second most useless set of officials I have seen. Wilson got there share to but of course I thought we got by far the worse end of the stick.

I cant speak for everybody but I know I can for a lot on here.....Of course your welcome on this board no matter who you like or dislike. The more the merrier unless your from Abingdon of course....lol ( I just couldn't help myself ). Maybe that will kick start my two friends from Camelot.