inside Ridgeview

redtiger

Very proud. Even the people who resisted consolidation cant argue with the results.

If Ridgeview can hold up its end of the bargain then the Pack vs the Blues could be a nice rivalry. Im looking forward to it and AA competition in general

It will be hard for the 6th graders. The elementary schools arent really small but there nothing compared to this building. Luckily the middle schoolers only need be concerned with the right 1/3 of the building. Btw I drove up there today, the pics dont do it justice. 

WOW, nice school! I see that happening in Tazewell County sooner than later! But those 6th graders are really going to feel out of place!

If all Tazewell County schools consolidated, TCHS would have 1841 students, per the most recent VHSL ADMs. That's would make TCHS a 6A high school (albeit literally the smallest 6A) under the current classification, and likely the largest 5A high school in Virginia once the ADMs are adjusted for the net loss of 2 high schools.

The nearest HS of that size is Franklin County, and they gripe incessantly about driving times. There's just no competition of that size out here.

Even splitting the difference (Tazewell East/Tazewell West?) makes both schools 3A, and there's only 1 of those west of Blacksburg. And Tazewell County doesn't really have a geographically convenient place to draw the line.

I used to think it would happen, but the more I ponder it, the less I think it will.

I'm not sure what's more impressive...... 70+ players coming out or the fact they have their own store inside their school. I feel like I'm ready for Twin Springs, Rye Cove, and GC to consolidate now.

I still dont see that for a very long time.  If Scott Co. tries to consolidate a little I believe they would close Twin Springs, moving Nicklesville and Midway area students to Gate City and Dungannon and Fort Blackmore area students to Rye Cove.   Choosing the location of a singular consolidated HS would probably lead to a location around the 72/72 intersection or just outside GC on 23 somehow.

For Tazewell Co my guess would be that Tazewell and Graham consolidate and Richlands stays open. Given the growth around Richlands and that Graham/Tazewell are smaller I think that makes the most sense.

For Scott Co closing TS and sending some kids to GC and some to RC makes the most sense. That would leave Scott with a situation similar to what Lee has.

Consolidation is comming, its just a matter of time. The key imo is to avoid the situation Buchannon will be in, they will have one large school (Grundy/Hurley/TV) and one tiny (Council). But they really dont have a choice.

Numbers wise Dickenson Co didnt really have a choice, not enough students to justify 2 schools and the funds were meant to pay for 1 school. Lee should have went with 2 schools.

Even Sullivan Co with all the students they have is looking at going from 4 high schools to 2. Some crazy plan to consolidate North, Central and South into one school. Talk about a big school, if they dont lose students to DB or Science Hill the school would be about 2,500 students

Send some of those Sullivan South, North, Central boys across the state line......we'll take em! Not that we've ever done that before. ;)

Yea i didn't really see combining all 3 schools in Scott County. ...i was just spouting off! That would probably push the 3A envelope or at least close to it. I've not looked at the numbers to really know. However combining just TS and Rye Cove would make another 2A team in Southwest VA if Scott Co. ever sees fit to do such a thing. Would they be more susceptible to close one down and split the students between two schools or consolidate the two smaller schools?

Sorry fellas....not sure what my phone managed to do to me. Tried to delete 2 of the 3 posts that went up and I can't manage to find how to delete them completely so I just left periods in the comment box. Maybe it's my old smartphone not cooperating....or maybe it's the Indian and not the bow.

Yea i didn't really see combining all 3 schools in Scott County. ...i was just spouting off! That would probably push the 3A envelope or at least close to it. I've not looked at the numbers to really know. However combining just TS and Rye Cove would make another 2A team in Southwest VA if Scott Co. ever sees fit to do such a thing. Would they be more susceptible to close one down and split the students between two schools or consolidate the two smaller schools?

Geographically leaving GC open and merging TS and RC isnt very feasible.  TS and RC are basically complete opposite ends of the county with no direct 4 lane to carry the students in an appropriate time.  One thing that the Scott School Board should be given credit for is the maintenance and updates to the school buildings to stay "modern" without the adding the additional costs of completely new facilities.  

For Tazewell Co my guess would be that Tazewell and Graham consolidate and Richlands stays open. Given the growth around Richlands and that Graham/Tazewell are smaller I think that makes the most sense.

Tazewell and Graham aren't *that* much smaller than Richlands.  

Richlands: 717

Tazewell: 605

Graham: 539

Simply consolidating Graham and Tazewell would put "Tazewell East" at 1144 students, which puts "Tazewell East" relatively safely within the 4A parameters.  It would be feasible (but definitely not desirable) to put that school in the River Ridge.  And how would "Tazewell East" and Richlands co-exist.  Tazewell County is an extremely divided, partisan place.  

Tazewell and Graham aren't *that* much smaller than Richlands.  

Richlands: 717

Tazewell: 605

Graham: 539

Simply consolidating Graham and Tazewell would put "Tazewell East" at 1144 students, which puts "Tazewell East" relatively safely within the 4A parameters.  It would be feasible (but definitely not desirable) to put that school in the River Ridge.  And how would "Tazewell East" and Richlands co-exist.  Tazewell County is an extremely divided, partisan place.  

Im assuming that going forward Tazewell and Graham will continue to shrink while Richlands remains fairly stable. In 10 years the numbers may be 475, 525 and 700. That would make Tazewell East (G-dawgs?) a 3A which is feasible.