Grayson County

sixcat

The Grayson County school board voted to eliminate JV football.  It is no real surprise.  Grayson has struggled in recent years even getting in 5 or 6 games per season.  They will field and freshman team for 8th and 9th graders.  Sophomores will play varsity.  The article in today's Galax Gazette mentioned speaking to several other area schools who are going to the same concept.  Galax has been doing it for a number of years now.

Soccer is a good game,  but the game I would love to see take hold around here is Lacross !  I played my freshman and soph. years when I lived in Maryland.  It's big up there and it is a great game.  It some elements of football, soccer, and hockey,  but has a lot more scoring on average than either hockey or soccer.

Maybe one of these days it will,  but I also realize that the schools are working with limited budgets and all they need is to add another sport that will cost them more money.  Sad but true. 

I think RCH may be implying soccer is cutting Radford's football numbers.  The whole of SWVA is experiencing a drop in enrollment numbers based on several factors so, I don't think it is solely other sports causing the drop.  The "brain drain" effect isn't helping in terms of leadership, either, especially in our school systems and local politics.  The more intelligent kids of our communities are, by-in-large, leaving the area never to return.  This leaves the less intelligent of our communities in charge and, in essence, dumbing down our local societies. 

Sad reality of rural america.

I will step down from my lofty perch on this soapbox now!

An infinitely more boring version of lacrosse, without sticks.

Nope. If you go watch a real team play, you'd change your mind. I've seen Chelsea, Man City, Inter Milan, and Paris Saint-Germain play. Some of the worlds best players. It's a whole different level when you actually give it a try.

Nope. If you go watch a real team play, you'd change your mind. I've seen Chelsea, Man City, Inter Milan, and Paris Saint-Germain play. Some of the worlds best players. It's a whole different level when you actually give it a try.

I've watched a "real team" win the NCAA championship just last year, which goes along with the 7 others our "real teams" have won.  And naturally, the World Cup gets some viewing time.  

I'd still rather read COBOL than watch it.

I've watched a "real team" win the NCAA championship just last year, which goes along with the 7 others our "real teams" have won. And naturally, the World Cup gets some viewing time.

I'd still rather read COBOL than watch it.

You think a "real" team is a college national champion? College soccer isn't anything like watching the big boys of Europe. Lol