Union Bears at Burton Raiders

FBDevotee

Burton is not very good at all. Union dominated on both sides of the ball. 52-6 final (and JIB only scored against the Union second team wit their starters as time expired).

Union was up 30 at halftime. Union did not have to spread the ball aroudn and throw, they crammed it down JIB's throat. Tra Adams was LESS than impressive to say the least, but he had no time to throw. He had 0 TD passes and 3 INT (one return for TD by Noaks).

Bailey Turner, fresh, Travis' son, threw one pass, completed it, it was a TD.

The Union DL DOMINATED the JIB OL, and Perrigan did absolutely nothing.

If Norton plays like this, they are in serious trouble unless Union is a true powerhouse.

Against the first team, Union had more points than JIB had yards.

Big test for Union next week, hosting Richlands.

Go Bears!

Perrigan dislocated his shoulder tonight.  Happened in the first half and he had the shoulder popped back in and then it happened at the start of the 2nd half again.  Doc popped it back in but the kid was done for the night.  Like said in previous post, JIB had no speed from the front to block for that dreaded sweep they constantly run.  Union is either very good...or JIB is really bad...or a combo of both.  JIB had some very untimely bad snaps (both shotgun and under center) and that hampered them early.  The outcome wouldn't have been any different but Perrigan made have had some more looks if the snaps hadn't been an issue.  Union needs to tighten the kicking game up...they were like 1-4 on PAT's in the first half.  But they played very sound ball.  Richlands next week will be the "tell-tell" game for both schools.

Here's my 2 cents... Union was impressive, but the things that stood out to me were the running game and defense. Noaks played a heck of a game on both sides of the ball and we didn't have to show much on the passing game because we ran the ball with ease. On the other hand, no offense to anyone but Burton was horrible. The RB that has been so hyped was not impressive at all, passing game was nonexistent, special teams (punts) were bad, the HUGE line got manhandled all night. Just an all around bad showing by Burton. I hope for their sake they just had a bad night, but I felt after the jamboree they didn't have much.

Honest question, why does Jimbo run his mouth so much to the media and on Twitter? All I've heard all summer is how Burton's line is old school and could block in the old LPD etc. Then in the preview article in Kingsport Times he said that this is the best team they'll play u til game 14 or 15. Already talking about those games like its assured they will be there even before week 1!!

As a BDD guy I would say old LPD arrogance.

Just because you play great teams doesnt mean you are one.

The LPD "had" reason to be arrogant. 20 something state championships over a 40 year period. No other district in SWVA can come close to claiming that. Not saying that I agree with that arrogance, but they definitely had reason to be. I don't necessarily think that Jimbo was being arrogant. If you compared a current NFL team to the '85 Bears everyone would know what you meant. I believe that he felt he had a team this year that was worthy of those great LPD teams of the past. I don't think anyone was more shocked by last night's outcome than him.

Of course, that's just what the LPD is now, the past. Nobody can thump chests about it now. Jimbo may still be stuck there, I don't know. I'm just excited about Union, Central, Ridgeview, Lee, Gate City, and John Battle becoming the FUTURE of the Mountain District and its place in SWVA football lore.

We should always respect the past, but we can't live there.

Maybe so. I feel like he dug his own grave. High expectations are one thing but spouting those expectations to every media outlet you come in contact with is another. He looked like someone ran over his dog last night. Granted, they will most definitely not see another team of that caliber all year.

I think Perrigan is a WR, not a RB. DTs making tackles on Jet Sweep didnt help either.

They ran him out of the backfield most of the time last night until Jimbo got him outta there to make sure he stays healthy.

He could be a dangerous WR with his speed, but Adams HAS to do a better job and throwing passes longer than five yards downfield. Every downfield pass he attempted was picked off. That offensive line Jimbo bragged out got their butts kicked every time at the LOS.

Here's my 2 cents... Union was impressive, but the things that stood out to me were the running game and defense. Noaks played a heck of a game on both sides of the ball and we didn't have to show much on the passing game because we ran the ball with ease. On the other hand, no offense to anyone but Burton was horrible. The RB that has been so hyped was not impressive at all, passing game was nonexistent, special teams (punts) were bad, the HUGE line got manhandled all night. Just an all around bad showing by Burton. I hope for their sake they just had a bad night, but I felt after the jamboree they didn't have much.

In the paper, Travis mentioned Jimbo was double covering Gavin and Mitchell most of the night, so that left the running lanes wide open and he exploited it.

I am confident Travis kept all his wrinkles up his sleeve for next week, which could be a game between two of the 5-6 best teams in the state in their division. You will likely see more hurry-up no huddle offense and more diverse playcalls throwing the ball. I seriously doubt Richlands allows Union to gash them running hte ball like Norton did.

In the paper, Travis mentioned Jimbo was double covering Gavin and Mitchell most of the night, so that left the running lanes wide open and he exploited it.

I am confident Travis kept all his wrinkles up his sleeve for next week, which could be a game between two of the 5-6 best teams in the state in their division. You will likely see more hurry-up no huddle offense and more diverse playcalls throwing the ball. I seriously doubt Richlands allows Union to gash them running hte ball like Norton did.

I'm sure they didn't show too much. As I'm sure Richlands won't show all that much tonight either. 

Do enough to win, but don't let the scouts pick up on your plan for next week. 

I'm sure they didn't show too much. As I'm sure Richlands won't show all that much tonight either. 

Do enough to win, but don't let the scouts pick up on your plan for next week. 

Exactly. Both teams will try and just keep everyone healthy and win without showing their opponent what they are truly capable of going into the HUGE game next week.

Are you coming to the Park Ryan? If so, I'd be more than happy to say hello. 

Would you agree that the winner of the game next week has the inside track on homefield throughout the playoffs? 

Exactly. Both teams will try and just keep everyone healthy and win without showing their opponent what they are truly capable of going into the HUGE game next week.

Are you coming to the Park Ryan? If so, I'd be more than happy to say hello. 

Would you agree that the winner of the game next week has the inside track on homefield throughout the playoffs? 

Very doubtful. I'm supposed to start a new work study job up here starting Monday, and if that does indeed happen, I won't be able to make it. But, if something happens and that falls through, I'll be in for the game.

I think the winner of the game (barring some injuries) is likely the number 1 seen in AA West with the loser either 2nd or 3rd. I think both Giles and Glenvar will slip up on a game.

Giles may be down a little this year but glenvar returns a lot, but there are more power points to be gotten around here with union GC richlands and ridge view and as bad as they looked last night norton is gonna win a lot of games with that schedule, so ever who comes out of that gauntlet will be the #1 seed I bet.

The LPD had NO room to talk, PV, and Appy had TONS of room to talk. Clintwood, JIB and to a lesser extent Kelly had some room. Everyone says "the district was incredible" but from what I saw(Im not an old timer) it was 2-3 teams that were good and a few solid programs. I just dont think the LPD as a whole was that special, the top 2 teams each season were almost always really, REALLY good.

Back to the topic, (I love Xs and Os)  #32 should move to FB and carry the ball (Trap or Counter) 20 times a game, #2 should move to WR and get 15 passes thrown his way(screens, outs, deep passes, everything). They could have been MUCH more successful doing that rather than trying to get the edge on a team that is faster/more athletic. The 2 screen passes they threw to #2 were the worst drawn up plays I think I have ever seen. Absolutely no deception, no angles, nothing