RCITYHOO

If Radford can pull out a win aganist G.W. Friday it will be the schools 600th win. Not for sure but rumor has it that's a total not many schools have. Should be a great game but this justs puts a little extra on the line for Radford. Pretty sure they will get it some time but kids are wanting it this week. 

Richlands is in the neighborhood of 500.  A few of us history nerds have been trying to piece together a complete record -- which isn't easy given the lack of consistent newspaper coverage in the 1920's and 1930's. 

My database shows the Blues with an all-time record of 496-349-34.  But I'm thin on complete records from 1926 through 1936.

FWIW, Greg Mance appears to be on pace to become the head coach with the most wins all-time at Richlands.  He's currently 162-58 whereas Ernie Hicks is credited in various places with an overall record of 167-124-24.  (My own data is close -- it says that Coach Hicks is at 167-126-26 -- but I strongly suspect that I'm missing scores for about 20 games.)

Following is a pretty interesting link to this kind of information:

http://www.vhsl-reference.com/archives/

Although the Excel files on that site may or may not be complete (they're obviously not for Richlands), they provide a pretty good frame of reference.

Without checking for veracity, following are figures for random schools as listed by that site:

Chilhowie  403-335-20

Gate City  578-252-15

Grundy  349-409-28

Graham  501-343-41

Lebanon  375-303-16

Marion  372-404-32

Virginia High  438-450-33

The site lists Radford at 512-265-33.  So either the online database is missing a lot of results or somebody in Radford is a bit overzealous.  Either way, that's a pretty impressive overall winning percentage by the Bobcats.

Edited by RichlandsAlum

If Radford can pull out a win aganist G.W. Friday it will be the schools 600th win. Not for sure but rumor has it that's a total not many schools have. Should be a great game but this justs puts a little extra on the line for Radford. Pretty sure they will get it some time but kids are wanting it this week. 

With all due respect to Galax and Honaker, we actually expect for Radford to be the toughest game on our schedule. 

Here's to be best and most civil rivalry that no one talks about.....Cheers to another game that goes into the 4th undecidend, my friend! 

Does anyone know Union's total wins?

Union's record over its five years of existence is 31-16.  If you're interested in the historical records of its predecessor schools, those would be separate figures.  (Although that's potentially a matter of opinion.)

I have a slightly different record than the one on VHSL Reference. I have Gate City at 579-250-15. However, it should be noted that Gate City High is currently at 498 wins. Shoemaker High went 81-81-9. 

That brings up a really good point.  Was Shoemaker simply renamed "Gate City?"  There seems to be at least a traditional basis for incorporating the records of Shoemaker into those of GCHS.  Or is Gate City High School the result of some consolidation that created an entirely new entity?  If they were essentially the same entity, then my notes show the all-time Richlands-GC series record to be pretty closely knotted (23-22-1 in favor of the Blue Devils heading into tonight).  If not, then Richlands had a 4-1-1 record against Shoemaker and is 18-22 all-time against GC.

Abingdon's historical record is very similar.  Until 1959 the high school serving that community was William King.  It was succeeded by the entity presently known as Abingdon High School.  William King had its own identity, including its physical campus and its own nickname for athletic teams (the Midgets).  However William King was generally referenced as "Abingdon" by local media and on game programs throughout its existence.   Lacking any information about possible consolidation to create AHS, I've kept them separate in my records.  (Incidentally, Richlands was 7-2-5 against King and currently stands 20-10-1 all-time against the Falcons.)

Some references are fairly easy to unscramble.  "Bristol" and "Virginia High" are obviously historical references to the same program, and Dobyns-Bennett is still broadly referenced as "Kingsport."  But others are complicated -- like the Triangular Mountain Institute, which was apparently the forerunner to now defunct Garden High School.  And then there are still more perplexing situations that are the result of economic expediency, like the case of the Henry County schools.  The current institution known as Bassett High School is essentially a consolidation of Bassett and Fieldale-Collinsville (and the same situation exists with Magna Vista and Laurel Park).  Should the historical record be reported as an ongoing account of Bassett since its original opening, or should it begin at the point in which the two schools were merged together under the name of one?

Sorry to ramble.  I'm probably the only person who actually finds this stuff interesting.  (But it's one of very few practical outlets for my B.A. in history.)

Her are some stats that I have researched & archived for years:

Richlands since 1926 : W-482 L- 349 T-33 .577%

Graham   since 1926  : W-501 L- 343 T- 41 .589%

Tazewell  since 1926  : W-463 L- 383 T-29  .546%

They are Complete All the way through the 2014 season. Also the reference site above (www.vhsl-reference..e.com archives/) is great but it has a lot of gaps & missing data.

Not at all. I love the history of SWVA high schools. I wish we could get a complete database and incorporate that here.

As for your history expertise, that may be well served in another thread on this forum.

Assuming you are referencing the thread regarding "The Late Unpleasantess,"  I concur substantially with what you've already contributed there.

That brings up a really good point.  Was Shoemaker simply renamed "Gate City?"  There seems to be at least a traditional basis for incorporating the records of Shoemaker into those of GCHS.  Or is Gate City High School the result of some consolidation that created an entirely new entity?  If they were essentially the same entity, then my notes show the all-time Richlands-GC series record to be pretty closely knotted (23-22-1 in favor of the Blue Devils heading into tonight).  If not, then Richlands had a 4-1-1 record against Shoemaker and is 18-22 all-time against GC.

Abingdon's historical record is very similar.  Until 1959 the high school serving that community was William King.  It was succeeded by the entity presently known as Abingdon High School.  William King had its own identity, including its physical campus and its own nickname for athletic teams (the Midgets).  However William King was generally referenced as "Abingdon" by local media and on game programs throughout its existence.   Lacking any information about possible consolidation to create AHS, I've kept them separate in my records.  (Incidentally, Richlands was 7-2-5 against King and currently stands 20-10-1 all-time against the Falcons.)

Some references are fairly easy to unscramble.  "Bristol" and "Virginia High" are obviously historical references to the same program, and Dobyns-Bennett is still broadly referenced as "Kingsport."  But others are complicated -- like the Triangular Mountain Institute, which was apparently the forerunner to now defunct Garden High School.  And then there are still more perplexing situations that are the result of economic expediency, like the case of the Henry County schools.  The current institution known as Bassett High School is essentially a consolidation of Bassett and Fieldale-Collinsville (and the same situation exists with Magna Vista and Laurel Park).  Should the historical record be reported as an ongoing account of Bassett since its original opening, or should it begin at the point in which the two schools were merged together under the name of one?

Sorry to ramble.  I'm probably the only person who actually finds this stuff interesting.  (But it's one of very few practical outlets for my B.A. in history.)

Shoemaker and Gate City were different schools. Shoemaker High school was in a different part of GC and had a fire in the 50s. They then built GC where it is now and built back Shoemaker as an elementary school. I personally wouldn't have counted it (although their results are in my database), but that's probably the same debate as we'll have with the consolidated schools. 

Her are some stats that I have researched & archived for years:

Richlands since 1926 : W-482 L- 349 T-33 .577%

Graham   since 1926  : W-501 L- 343 T- 41 .589%

Tazewell  since 1926  : W-463 L- 383 T-29  .546%

They are Complete All the way through the 2014 season. Also the reference site above (www.vhsl-reference..e.com archives/) is great but it has a lot of gaps & missing data.

Wow, impressive that all three of the Tazewell County schools are that close in wins and loses!

Shoemaker and Gate City were different schools. Shoemaker High school was in a different part of GC and had a fire in the 50s. They then built GC where it is now and built back Shoemaker as an elementary school. I personally wouldn't have counted it (although their results are in my database), but that's probably the same debate as we'll have with the consolidated schools. 

In this particular case, I'd make the argument that Shoemaker and Gate City are essentially the same institution.  Even though a new structure was built and given a different name, there seem to have been no other material changes.  If Duke University can (rightfully, in my opinion) claim contiguous history dating back to its days as Trinity College, then certainly it is appropriate for Gate City to do the same with Shoemaker.

Wow, impressive that all three of the Tazewell County schools are that close in wins and loses!

Graham seems to have been pretty consistently competitive throughout its history. 

However, the numbers for Tazewell and Richlands are pretty heavily skewed (in opposite directions) by their respective results since 2000.  Actually, until the 1990s Richlands had a demonstrated pattern of under performance with occasional flashes of success.  The program's winning percentage from 1960 to 1989 was pretty poor.  And with the possible exception of the 1930s (with the caveat that records from that era are still largely incomplete), the ten seasons inclusive of 1980 through 1989 comprised the worst decade in terms of winning percentage in the history of the program.

These truly are "the good old days" for Richlands football.  Blues fans should relish them.

Graham seems to have been pretty consistently competitive throughout its history. 

However, the numbers for Tazewell and Richlands are pretty heavily skewed (in opposite directions) by their respective results since 2000.  Actually, until the 1990s Richlands had a demonstrated pattern of under performance with occasional flashes of success.  The program's winning percentage from 1960 to 1989 was pretty poor.  And with the possible exception of the 1930s (with the caveat that records from that era are still largely incomplete), the ten seasons inclusive of 1980 through 1989 comprised the worst decade in terms of winning percentage in the history of the program.

These truly are "the good old days" for Richlands football.  Blues fans should relish them.

Agree with that I know in my parents era of the 70's and players of the 80's said that Richlands was pretty much the whipping post of the county.

Just goes to show what good recruiting can do! lol

Agree with that I know in my parents era of the 70's and players of the 80's said that Richlands was pretty much the whipping post of the county.

Just goes to show what good recruiting can do! lol

Supposedly we were widely viewed within area coaching circles as a "sleeping giant" for much of that time.  If Bill Peery hadn't been enticed away after his one season at the helm, it's nice to imagine that he could have established some winning consistency.  Of course, I personally think that Jim Hammond (his successor) was a good coach and an even better human being, so the under performance (my term) is rather perplexing.

Without making excuses, there's also the fact that the old SWD was a really tough and competitive league in virtually all sports.  Even when Harry Fry's fantastic Gate City teams were winning by large margins, they'd still probably acknowledge that they were thoroughly battle tested.  (No pun intended there WRT the Washington County school and former SWD member of that era.)

Have to admit that your last sentence gave me a chuckle.  Nicely played!

Supposedly we were widely viewed within area coaching circles as a "sleeping giant" for much of that time.  If Bill Peery hadn't been enticed away after his one season at the helm, it's nice to imagine that he could have established some winning consistency.  Of course, I personally think that Jim Hammond (his successor) was a good coach and an even better human being, so the under performance (my term) is rather perplexing.

Without making excuses, there's also the fact that the old SWD was a really tough and competitive league in virtually all sports.  Even when Harry Fry's fantastic Gate City teams were winning by large margins, they'd still probably acknowledge that they were thoroughly battle tested.  (No pun intended there WRT the Washington County school and former SWD member of that era.)

Have to admit that your last sentence gave me a chuckle.  Nicely played!

You know there are a lot of what ifs.  For example what if Collobro hadn't left Tazewell???

Have to get my jabs in there at the most opportune moment!

Union's record over its five years of existence is 31-16.  If you're interested in the historical records of its predecessor schools, those would be separate figures.  (Although that's potentially a matter of opinion.)

I meant Powell Valley, sorry for the confusion.

I meant Powell Valley, sorry for the confusion.

No worries.  According to the link, Powell Valley finished with an all-time record of 401-166-15.  In terms of winning percentage, the Vikings certainly must rank among the most successful programs in the history of Virginia high school football.

So combining PV and Appalachia would def be over 600 wins lol.

I would say aside from Hampton and maybe GC or Richlands, PV was near the tops of win percentages.

I know PV is second all-time in state football titles behind Hampton, PV has eight and Hampton has double digits, 10 or so.

So combining PV and Appalachia would def be over 600 wins lol.

I would say aside from Hampton and maybe GC or Richlands, PV was near the tops of win percentages.

I know PV is second all-time in state football titles behind Hampton, PV has eight and Hampton has double digits, 10 or so.

In terms of overall history Richlands might be above the median statewide, but that's about it.  Take away Mance's record and the program is hovering right around the .500 mark.  And before Dennis Vaught took the reins in 1990 it was actually at .487.  Consistent success is a very recent phenomenon for the Blue Tornado faithful.