Virginia @ Richlands

Ryan4VT

After posting the information I received earlier this morning, I realized that SOME of the data may not have been factual.  So, in the interest of fair play, I decided to pull a few strings, call in a couple of favors and make a phone call or two.  The result was that I was granted an exclusive interview with the VHS head honcho in an effort to clear up this murky situation.  It was a very enlightening conversation.  To eliminate any suspicions that I may have slanted any of the comments, here is the actual transcript of that meeting:

BB (that is me -- for those from VT):  Thank you for meeting with me coach

CC (you should be able to figure that out on your own):  No problem.  Thank you for helping to clear up this mess.  You know how the drive by media works.

BB:  Yes I do.  Lets get started.  Is there or has there ever been any consideration to forfeiting the Richlands' game this week?

CC:  Absolutely no truth to that rumor at all.  We are trying to build a solid program here at VHS.  Playing the Richlands, Tennessee Highs and Gate Citys will only make us stronger.  Win or lose, we respect those programs and what they have accomplished.  That is not to say that we do not respect all of our competition. We do.  Those are just a couple of the opponents on our schedule that have long, proven track records.   

BB:  To be frank, there is a lot of "coach speak" in that comment.  Are you saying that a close loss to a quality program would be a moral victory?

CC:  Do you have mud in your ears?  There are only "W" or "L" columns.  I have not seen a column for "MV" (Again for you VT grads -- MV is short for moral victory). We are going up to Richlands with every intention of winning the game.  We are preparing for a very good team.  We will have to play exceptionally well but we believe victory is possible...why else play?

BB:  I like your moxie coach...

CC:  You like my what?!?

BB:  Anyway...what is your take on message board comments?  Are these motivational tools?

CC:  Bob, you know that these are 16-17 year kids and who knows what really motivates them.  I like to think that we as a staff provide these young men with the proper techniques, game plan and encouragement so that "motivational" things like message boards are irrelevant.

BB:  Well you know that some of these "keyboard commandos" like to stick out their chest and make bold predictions of massive blowouts and imply the futility of any effort against their chosen team...

CC:  Bob, aren't you one of those people?

BB:  Hold on coach, Bearcat Bob seldom, if ever, makes predictions.  I know that anything can happen on Friday nights.  High school football is too irrational for me to make predictions (often).

CC:  Glad to hear that Bob.  But you have to remember that most of these folks on the message boards are "good ol' boys" just trying to support their respective teams.  I doubt any of the comments are really meant to be personal.  Most just like to get a rise out of the other posters.

BB:  Good point coach.  Now back to the game.  Do you have any special plays set for Richlands?

CC:  We just came off a bye week.  We work on what we do well and try to improve in areas we do not do so well. 

BB:  But have you installed a special play or two...

CC:  You are persistent aren't you?

BB:  I'll ask the questions here.   What about a letter supposedly sent from the VHSL office warning of the consequences of playing Richlands?

CC:  I'll turn that over to our SID (Sports Information Director).

SID:  There is no truth to the rumor that Ms. Tornadoski sent a letter to us warning of potential infertility.  We received the same letter from her that Richlands received; the one explaining the equipment rules.  You know:  the inflation of the footballs; the length of the field; and a highlighted section concerning the length of cleats.  But everyone who plays up there gets the same letter so nothing to see here.

CC:  (To SID) Shut up stupid.

BB:  Uh, thanks for that Mr. SID.  Back to you coach.  What kind of atmosphere do you expect Friday night?

SID:  Let me handle that one coach.  I just received some news that you may not be aware of yet.  It has been confirmed that Flo (the Progressive Insurance spokeswoman) and her cover band will be playing their version of Enter Sandman as the Tornadoes enter the field.  And instead of real confetti, everyone in attendance will receive a 20% off coupon from Progressive. 

CC:  Oh geez..are we done here?

BB:  Thanks Coach.  Good luck Friday and the rest of the season.

CC:  You are not one of the Boosters are you Bob?

BB:  No, why do you ask?

CC:  No reason.  But that letterman's jacket is getting a bit small for you.

BB:  Thanks again COACH.

Folks, there it is for all to see.  There is no truth to the vicious rumors surrounding a possible forfeit.  I think I will definitely make it down for the game.  Besides supporting the Bearcats, I need a break on my insurance. 

Ok Bearcats whoever. If your referring to Ryan as a VT grad. You really don't know him. He is attending VT now, something you are obviously jealous of. Take it from me(his dad) he alway gives respect even when I wish he wouldn't. If you can't handle the way Richlands fans feel about our team simply quit reading the post.

Ok Bearcats whoever. If your referring to Ryan as a VT grad. You really don't know him. He is attending VT now, something you are obviously jealous of. Take it from me(his dad) he alway gives respect even when I wish he wouldn't. If you can't handle the way Richlands fans feel about our team simply quit reading the post.

Yes......Ryan is a hard working and fine young man!

This just in from the BHC...

Dateline September 24, 2015

In a move that can only be described as inevitable, the Virginia High School football team has decided to forfeit their game this Friday versus Richlands. In reports just received from the VHS staff, they decided to forfeit the game after discovering that "99%" of the SWVASPORTS followers deemed this contest as not winnable; a frivolous exercise in futility.

This move was not well received by the Bearcat players however. Reports from the locker room indicated that the actual players believe that games are won or lost on the field, not on message boards. Apparently, many "grownups" have decided otherwise.

"Earlier in the week it was a toss up among our staff if we should play or not", said an unnamed staff member. "But then we heard that Richland players had posted message board comments in their lockers. Well, OH NELLIE, we knew then that all bets were off".

Other reports indicated that while VHS does have very capable athletes and a stable coaching staff, that the VHSL sent a letter to VHS warning that a trip to Richlands would void their insurance, cause infertility, and may well be the beginning of the long expected "end of days". VHSL spokesperson Mary Tornadoski denied that a letter had been sent specifically to VHS with these warnings. She explained that the letter was sent to all VHSL participants who may have the unfortunate luck to be scheduled against Richlands.

The U.S. Postal Service confirmed that the letter sent to Union High School had been undeliverable, "marked as return to sender". They had no further comment about the matter a this time.

Rumors abound concerning this situation. One report surfaced just moments ago that the players have found a bus driver, a large contingent of supporters, and plan on making the pilgrimage north. Another report is that they have taken a page from the Richlands playbook and have posted online comments in their lockers, just in case their is any truth to that old myth.

Please follow BHC for breaking details.[/quote)

Letter to editor, please retract the article about the Virginia High football team forfeiting against Richlands. There is an inaccurate statement in the article which states that 99% of SWVASPORTS posters predict that the contest is not winnable for VHS. After some statistical analysis, I have discovered that number should in fact be 99.9%.

might want to teach him humility?

I have plenty of humility. I also have plenty of pride for our boys.

Again, I don't see how someone can write a post trashing us and when we reply with a post, we are the bad guys?

I try to be fair in every post I make. I give the teams we play the due respect they deserve. I give 98% of posters on here the due respect they deserve.

If you have a problem with me, that's cool. But to imply that my father didn't instill humility in me is asinine, to be blunt.

Which is a virtue we all should aim for.

The hardest part about humility sometimes is excercising it at all the right times. In my opinion he chose to defend and not show restraint about something he took as needing defending. It may not land in everybody's heart the same way so we all have different reactions. His was to defend and I support that and you don't.........so why can't we move on because I'm done with this one.

Next time he may be defending you. Who knows but that's the way he rolls.......lol

Any and all references to VT is not isolated to any one person.  Insecurity an issue?

On a serious note, I had to take grandpa's laptop from him after seeing the bad things you said about his favorite grandson.  He was prepared to lay an old fashion tongue lashing on you but I talked him out of it.  The last time he got this worked up, he accidently zipped his manhood up in his zipper.  The poor old guy has a hard enough time with his prostrate, please do not make it worse.

And to kinda' respond to an earlier post...I would disagree -- there has been only one perfect person to grace this Earth, and Brethren, none of us are him!

I tried to take the edge off by being light hearted and somewhat self-deprecating but that has been obviously lost on some or I have failed miserably (probably a little of both).  So I am closing my part in this odyssey with two last thoughts:

(1) True humility is expressed in deeds not words.  To paraphrase a person much smarter than am I, "Pride works frequently under a dense mask and will often assume the garb of humility".  

(2) If you see a turtle on top of a fence post, you know he had some help!

Well, 3 last thoughts...good luck to all of our youth as they take to the gridiron tonight.  Win, lose or rain out...Godspeed.

17-0 VHS early in the 2nd. Are we in the Twilight Zone?

Sewell is the real deal !  Blues are playing better now,  but Bearcat fans can be proud of the way their kids played especially in the 1st qtr.  The Blues have got to stop coming out flat and turning the ball over early,  it will catch up to them eventually.  2 weeks in a row now. 

When they finally decided to play they really turned it on and played well,  some good adjustments by the coaches also !  Blakenship did a great job running the ball and in my opinion is what really got the offense going.  Great job by the O line !

You was right about Sewell! Outstanding football player great quickness with speed and can catch. Very impressed with him. #14 was a beast on defense and was just impressed with that young mans motor.

I know the final didn't look so good but for one quarter Va High punched us in the mouth!!!!!

Also very good sportsmanship from both sides except for the cheap shot on Collins. Asbury came in and retaliated and got flagged to offset the penalties. I thought the refs handled it pretty good. Either one could have very easily got tossed....very glad they didn't toss them. Other than that both teams helped one another up all night after huge hits.

George Austin Holmes was player of the game for me. Just don't know what to say about his performance but AWESOME!

Sewell had 6 catches for 180 yards. But he was held catch-less in the last 35ish minutes. Good job by Palmer to figure out how to stop him.

We held them to 8 yards rushing on 32 attempts. That's 4 of 5 teams that the Blues have held under 50 yards rushing. Impressive number.

Bluefield game will be interesting.

I sat on the Virginia High side tonight and I could hear the defensive coach (light skinned African American), and I was very impressed by how he was talking to and what he was saying to the boys. He was a real class act and had a great attitude those boys are lucky to have him to look up to. You Virginia High guys take care of him, he is a keeper. 

Not really, Bluefield will lose by 4 TDs at least.

I hope your right but I don't know about 4 TDs.if the blues play the 1st quarter like they did tonite they will have to score 4 TDs to catch up to blue field.I look for mance and his crew fix this coming out flat stuff its no fun playing catch up soon as the game starts.it was good to see how the blues responded after being down 17 points so quick.they did a great job.

It sounds like Bluefield can score at will but let's everyone else they play score at will as well. It's amazing for a school to put up 73 points...but sad when you have to do so to win it.