Big games that could impact 2A west rankings

SWVAgridiron

The regular season is winding down and we pretty much know who the top 6 will be. However the rankings could definately change with some big games on the line before the post season begin:.

#2 Appomattox vs Amhearst

#3 Glenvar vs Radford

#4 Richlands vs Abingdon

I expect Appo and Amhearst to be a shootout. Both have a strong offense but Appo imo has the better defense. Can Appo contain Amhearst? I expect a high scoring game.

Glenvar and Radford: Glenvar has a great D line, wont be much up the middle for Grant(if he plays) of Radford. Glenvar cant let Grant get to the outside and they have to keep containment on Finley, if he sees an open lane he'll go for it and has the speed to out run the secondary. Glenvars offense will need to step up. They have a great defense but if they let Radford get up a few scores, they wont catch them. I expect a low scoring game.

Richlands and Abingdon: I expect 600+ yards passing combined with these 2 teams. Great Qbs and great receivers on both sides. I give Richlands defense the advantage though. Especially their line. Both defenses will need to put pressure on the Qbs or they will have a field day. Momentum could be the factor in this game, should be a loud atmosphere. Im saying that both teams score atleast 30 points.

Opinions?

Will Grant play? I heard he had a high ankle sprain. However, I don't the severity of the sprain. High ankle sprain usually depending on the severity of the sprain usually take 4-6 weeks to heal. I do wish him a speedy recovery. He is a fantastic player.

Will Grant play? I heard he had a high ankle sprain. However, I don't the severity of the sprain. High ankle sprain usually depending on the severity of the sprain usually take 4-6 weeks to heal. I do wish him a speedy recovery. He is a fantastic player.

He may not play. I did not realize the severity of a high ankle sprain. Hoping he can recover fast because he definitely is a difference maker

I would like to see Amherst beat Appomattox which would make union 1 and richlands 3. That would setup a richlands and glenvar game, I would like to see richlands offense go against the glenvar defense.

So I guess the 2nd round games may as well not be played since Glenvar and Richlands would play Thanksgiving weekend huh? LOL Just kidding

Glenvar has a good defense but I don't think they have the defensive backs to guard Richlands receivers. Giles was able to have success throwing on Glenvar and that's a team that might throw 2 passes a game

Hey now....I think there was a game this year where we threw the ball 4 times....get your facts straight ha ha ha

I don't know much about Letcher or I would've added that game to the list as well.

Middle of the road 5a (800-1000)

Losses to traditional power houses of hazard and Pikeville along with a loss to the rising Harlan co. Average year for them very very young team.

Union would be better scheduling Pikeville or hazard, or belfry imo.

Glenvar has a good defense but I don't think they have the defensive backs to guard Richlands receivers. Giles was able to have success throwing on Glenvar and that's a team that might throw 2 passes a game

Glenvar had thier All State player missing from the Giles game. He has 5 interceptions this year. Glenvar returned the entire secondary from last year.

Middle of the road 5a (800-1000)

Losses to traditional power houses of hazard and Pikeville along with a loss to the rising Harlan co. Average year for them very very youngThats

Thats the thing about high school sports, upsets happen every week. Havent gotten to watch Union play this season besides a few plays on film but knowing that they put 42 on Richlands is quite impressive(even though youre not suppose to go by scores).  Would be a huge point booster for Union if they can get the win.

Union at Letcher Central could still be an upset game. Especially, if the Bears don't come to play. They will have to be ready to play the refs too.

My only concern would be the officiating. In a fair fight, Union wins by 20+...

Glenvar had thier All State player missing from the Giles game. He has 5 interceptions this year. Glenvar returned the entire secondary from last year.

Well if one player makes that much of a difference then Glenvar is in trouble if they have to face Richlands. They have multiple receivers that are talented. #2 for Giles was open on almost every pass play but Glenvars d had so much pressure on the passer that he didnt have time to look around. Not downing the Highlanders but i notice so often on here that people like using the phrase "well our best defensive player was out" if you wanna win champoinships then you should other players that can step up. I still have Glenvar as 1 of my final 4s for right now because they really flip on the switch when playoffs come around.

Well if one player makes that much of a difference then Glenvar is in trouble if they have to face Richlands. They have multiple receivers that are talented. #2 for Giles was open on almost every pass play but Glenvars d had so much pressure on the passer that he didnt have time to look around. Not downing the Highlanders but i notice so often on here that people like using the phrase "well our best defensive player was out" if you wanna win champoinships then you should other players that can step up. I still have Glenvar as 1 of my final 4s for right now because they really flip on the switch when playoffs come around.

Well I don't know if he is their best defensive player or not but he is pretty darn good....but he is a great WR and spectacular in punt and kickoff returns....I think he is their best overall player though....kid is a special talent in HS

Well I don't know if he is their best defensive player or not but he is pretty darn good....but he is a great WR and spectacular in punt and kickoff returns....I think he is their best overall player though....kid is a special talent in HS

And he may be a great athlete. But it was his destructive choices in why he wasnt able to play against Giles, therefore, people cannot say that Giles had open recievers because our "All State Player" wasnt playing. This is just my opinion, I shouldnt get worked up over this....Giles and Glenvar both have good teams and maybe they will get the chance to meetup again having all players healthy. I do believe I heard someone say that Giles had a key starter out that played both ways so maybe they can settle it for good in the post season

Well if one player makes that much of a difference then Glenvar is in trouble if they have to face Richlands. They have multiple receivers that are talented. #2 for Giles was open on almost every pass play but Glenvars d had so much pressure on the passer that he didnt have time to look around. Not downing the Highlanders but i notice so often on here that people like using the phrase "well our best defensive player was out" if you wanna win champoinships then you should other players that can step up. I still have Glenvar as 1 of my final 4s for right now because they really flip on the switch when playoffs come around.

If my memory serves me correctly. Glenvar has won a championship. Also,did Giles score in the 2ND half? Who won the game? since you worried about Glenvar defense. They only gave up 44 points in 7 games. A lot of folks on here are looking into the playoffs who will win against Richlands, Glenvar, Union, or Appomattox. Looking ahead could result in a lost, and eating a lot of crow. Glenvar takes one game at a time. They could careless about what these other teams are doing.

If my memory serves me correctly. Glenvar has won a championship. Also,did Giles score in the 2ND half? Who won the game? since you worried about Glenvar defense. They only gave up 44 points in 7 games. A lot of folks on here are looking into the playoffs who will win against Richlands, Glenvar, Union, or Appomattox. Looking ahead could result in a lost, and eating a lot of crow. Glenvar takes one game at a time. They could careless about what these other teams are doing.

I apologize if I came off as being negative, Glenvar just has not looked as impressive this year as last. But i did state that come playoff time they turn the switch on. Yes they have a stellar defense but have not faced a team with a good passing attack yet. No team will beat Glenvar by trying to pound it up the middle bc their d line is immaculate. Secondary I think needs some work. My hat is off to Glenvar for what they've accomplished last year and this year so far.

I apologize if I came off as being negative, Glenvar just has not looked as impressive this year as last. But i did state that come playoff time they turn the switch on. Yes they have a stellar defense but have not faced a team with a good passing attack yet. No team will beat Glenvar by trying to pound it up the middle bc their d line is immaculate. Secondary I think needs some work. My hat is off to Glenvar for what they've accomplished last year and this year so far.

I respect your opinion.. We just have to wait and see.