Graham back to the SWD

HM3-8404

Take this for what it is, local chatter. I have been hearing Grayson is heading in the same direction as Graham. It is also rumored that Conference 46 plus Radford is a distinct possibility for a new district alignment.

My question is, when will these changes take place?  Next season?  The year after?  This is the first year of the current setup of the two year cycle.  Will they scrap the current plan for next season and start anew or will that let it run its course and start over in 2017-18?

My question is, when will these changes take place? Next season? The year after? This is the first year of the current setup of the two year cycle. Will they scrap the current plan for next season and start anew or will that let it run its course and start over in 2017-18?

Info I read, as Well as many other people more important than me, said 17'-18'.

Graham, Tazewell, Richlands, Va High, Marion, Grayson County are SWD. Everyone else go to form Highlands. What is strange is Va.High Passes by three schools (John Battle, Abingdon,Lebanon) on the way to their district games! Neither of those three wanted to come to SWD.

Grayson is doing this more for baseball than football. They have eroded a bit from lack of compitition. Football isn't as important in Grayson as baseball.

The conference 46 idea is intriguing. Galax, George Wythe, Radford, Fort Chiswell, Rural Retreat, and Chilhowie would be a quality 1A district.

Grayson is doing this more for baseball than football. They have eroded a bit from lack of compitition. Football isn't as important in Grayson as baseball.

The conference 46 idea is intriguing. Galax, George Wythe, Radford, Fort Chiswell, Rural Retreat, and Chilhowie would be a quality 1A district.

The only competition for Grayson in baseball would be VA High.

My question is, when will these changes take place?  Next season?  The year after?  This is the first year of the current setup of the two year cycle.  Will they scrap the current plan for next season and start anew or will that let it run its course and start over in 2017-18?

O'Neil said 2 years if it gets done, pointing out that it's not official yet. Plus Grayson would join too.

Graham, Tazewell, Richlands, Va High, Marion, Grayson County are SWD. Everyone else go to form Highlands. What is strange is Va.High Passes by three schools (John Battle, Abingdon,Lebanon) on the way to their district games! Neither of those three wanted to come to SWD.

..............OR...........the other schools did not want VA High. Just saying. 

Lebanon is like that kid who's parents divorced when he was young and has bounced back and forth between his homes ever since. 

He now currently lives in his dad's basement but dad doesn't approve of his fourth and most recent major change in college from Pre-Law to Art History. 

Heard that Radford will have to move up to 2A when new count is taken.

Heard that Radford will have to move up to 2A when new count is taken.

I expect Galax to be much closer to where Radford's enrollment numbers are currently when the next wave of figures are released.  Galax has gained at least 50 students in the past two years based on information given to me by a school board member.

I know a lot of this is speculation and things change but if Galax and Radford move up to AA then 1A West wont be worth a plug nickel. It would be pretty much a clear shot to the semis for JIB, GW  and Honaker, other than the occasional team that jumps up and has a good season. 

If Galax does in fact have 50ish more students than the last cycle enrollment figures, they would still be another 25+/- short for the 2A threshold.  If memory serves, Galax had slightly less than 400 last cycle.  Radford has always had 50+/- more students than Galax so any increase in enrollment would put them around the 475 threshold.  

You are exactly right about speculation Redtiger but where there is smoke........  

Adding to the unrest locally, the Grayson County school system is in turmoil.  The former superintendent was fired in February and replaced with someone from the Virginia Board of Education to initiate an investigation into criminal activity in conjunction with the Virginia State Police.  Since that time, several teachers have been fired, several other staff members have been indicted for embezzlement among other things.  Another staff member was indicted last week stemming from a VHSL investigation into dipping into athletic funds associated with Grayson County athletics.  The article is in the Galax Gazette today.  Galax is getting a lot of petitions for transfer based on all of this.  Galax is also in the design phase of a new elementary and middle school (K-8).  Once completed, the current high school/ middle school building would be high school only (9-12) instead of the current 5-12 set-up.  That would allow Galax to realistically increase its enrollment without being cramped for space.

There has also been some speculation that Galax would open it's border to include all of the 24333 zip code.  CityData.com suggests the 24333 population is 17,947 while the City of Galax is only 7,035.  That would, without a doubt, place Galax squarely within the 2A threshold.  The Galax boundary used to be 24333 prior to Grayson County High School forming in 1988.  Galax played in the old New River District with Carroll, Radford, Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Giles and George Wythe.  I am not convinced this would happen but it has been this way in the past and given the unrest in Grayson, I guess it is possible.

That would be a very good alignment, IMO.  Grayson would be a bit of an outlier in terms of geography -- although google suggests that it's actually about 10 minutes closer to Bristol as compared to Grundy.

In terms of formal affiliation, the Bearcats have spent more of their existence bypassing those three schools than they have in the same league with them.  Virginia High has a very long historical association with Graham, Marion, Richlands, and Tazewell.  Beyond the fact that the Bearcats were charter members of the SWD, they have been playing most of the district schools since at least the 1930's.  (In the case of Richlands, Virginia High is historically the school that the Blues have played most often in football besides the longstanding relationships with Graham, Grundy, and Tazewell.)

No explanation for this apparent preference by the folks in Bristol, but it is well documented.

If Galax does in fact have 50ish more students than the last cycle enrollment figures, they would still be another 25+/- short for the 2A threshold.  If memory serves, Galax had slightly less than 400 last cycle.  Radford has always had 50+/- more students than Galax so any increase in enrollment would put them around the 475 threshold.  

You are exactly right about speculation Redtiger but where there is smoke........  

Adding to the unrest locally, the Grayson County school system is in turmoil.  The former superintendent was fired in February and replaced with someone from the Virginia Board of Education to initiate an investigation into criminal activity in conjunction with the Virginia State Police.  Since that time, several teachers have been fired, several other staff members have been indicted for embezzlement among other things.  Another staff member was indicted last week stemming from a VHSL investigation into dipping into athletic funds associated with Grayson County athletics.  The article is in the Galax Gazette today.  Galax is getting a lot of petitions for transfer based on all of this.  Galax is also in the design phase of a new elementary and middle school (K-8).  Once completed, the current high school/ middle school building would be high school only (9-12) instead of the current 5-12 set-up.  That would allow Galax to realistically increase its enrollment without being cramped for space.

There has also been some speculation that Galax would open it's border to include all of the 24333 zip code.  CityData.com suggests the 24333 population is 17,947 while the City of Galax is only 7,035.  That would, without a doubt, place Galax squarely within the 2A threshold.  The Galax boundary used to be 24333 prior to Grayson County High School forming in 1988.  Galax played in the old New River District with Carroll, Radford, Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Giles and George Wythe.  I am not convinced this would happen but it has been this way in the past and given the unrest in Grayson, I guess it is possible.

Nothing huge but you left Narrows out of the NRD. and they competed up until the end.

Years ago, my great aunt lived down Galax way.  She had a 24333 address and lived up on Fries Rd. on top of the ridge, didn't take five minutes to drive into downtown Galax.  I asked her where the kids up there went to school, she said Carroll Co. High School.  Never could figure out why they had to be bused 15 miles away when they were only 3 miles for Galax High.

Years ago, my great aunt lived down Galax way.  She had a 24333 address and lived up on Fries Rd. on top of the ridge, didn't take five minutes to drive into downtown Galax.  I asked her where the kids up there went to school, she said Carroll Co. High School.  Never could figure out why they had to be bused 15 miles away when they were only 3 miles for Galax High.

My mother lived off of Fries Road when my younger brother was in high school.  He rode a bus 20 miles to Grayson when he could reasonably walk to Galax in 10 minutes.

Ironically, Fries Road is where the new school is being built.

"Cities" in Virginia are governmental units and bodies politic wholly unto themselves.  For all intents and purposes, Galax "is" a county.  It would be akin to a kid from just on the other side of SWCC wondering why he/she doesn't drive 10 minutes to Richlands as opposed to driving 20 minutes to Honaker.  That's the jurisdictional boundary, silly though it is.

"Cities" in Virginia are governmental units and bodies politic wholly unto themselves.  For all intents and purposes, Galax "is" a county.  It would be akin to a kid from just on the other side of SWCC wondering why he/she doesn't drive 10 minutes to Richlands as opposed to driving 20 minutes to Honaker.  That's the jurisdictional boundary, silly though it is.

Which means, without consent from Carroll and Grayson Counties, Galax cannot legally extend it's borders?