Gretna

Unionguy_2017

I have absolutely no knowledge on them whatsoever. How will they stack up against Union? Do they have any tall corners?

Just know that they are no spring chickens and will put up a fight. They have won 5 state championships with their last one coming in 2011. Union has to come out of the gate firing on all cylinders.

Union will need to jump on them early. You do not want Gretna to hang around late in the game

Agreed and Union has history of starting slow. I love the fact we're playing an unfamiliar opponent in the 1st round!

Starting to get some cross ups now, Appomattox beat them something like, 34-0.

Love the cross-ups. That's why I would like to see how Virginia High does against Glenvar. I know it means nothing in predicting future outcomes but still interesting to see. Also excited to see how the Abingdon vs Rusturg game goes.

Yea,  that surprises me also.  That's a long trip for Gretna to make on a Friday and play that evening,  but hey,  it is what it is.  You have to show up and play.  Just play Union ball and start out that way, no slow start,  and you'll be fine.  As stated,  they ( Gretna ) has a fantastic pedigree so play hard physical football and don't give them any hope early. 

If it's over 3 hours, the visiting team decides what day to play. This means that Gretna wanted to play this game on friday night.

Thanks Ryan, I like the friday night games better anyway unless it's cold but the atmosphere is a little better. Seems like union fans don't get too excited on Saturday.

Was 2011 Thurman or Saunders?  Wasn't Saunders from SWVA, looks like a Simons now, man they go thru the coaches.

Blacksburg vs Grenta 2013 in on  youtube.

Saunders I'm pretty sure. It's my understanding that he's from Radford. Coached at JJK in the '90s early 2000s. Was allegedly run off for being "mean" to the players. Left Gretna for a job in Georgia to be closer to his father.

Saunders was at Gretna in '11.

He was ran off from JJK for not being politically correct. Former players LOVE him. Although imo he was over the line with his behavior/mouth.

Word is he was hired at Gretna as a HC, not the HC/OC, the HC. They as a school/program/team were dedicated to the Spread. Thats why I assume they run pretty much the same thing.