Giles vs Ridgeview

SWVAgridiron

I would be surprised if Amherst brought a huge amount of fans to Pulaski....they brought a lot of fans the years they were dominant but I doubt they bring a bunch this year on a Friday night....I hope Ridgeview brings a huge following...it's makes for a great atmosphere when both teams are well represented

I would be surprised if Amherst brought a huge amount of fans to Pulaski....they brought a lot of fans the years they were dominant but I doubt they bring a bunch this year on a Friday night....I hope Ridgeview brings a huge following...it's makes for a great atmosphere when both teams are well represented

I agree. I was at the Giles vs Lee game last year and it was just a sea of red. The atmosphere at Giles itself it just amazing and when you have a team that comes in and brings a lot of fans and then you have Giles who always packs the stadium. I do believe Giles fans are the loudest of any other school in SWVA, not just because of the train horn but the fans themselves are very loud.

Ridgeviews turnout has been up and down. HUGE crowds early for the scrimmages, then after the early losses crowd numbers were down. Last Friday was the largest crowd since the first game and was the most energetic one all season.

I can say me and some friends are going to Giles to do our part

Ridgeviews turnout has been up and down. HUGE crowds early for the scrimmages, then after the early losses crowd numbers were down. Last Friday was the largest crowd since the first game and was the most energetic one all season.

I can say me and some friends are going to Giles to do our part

Hopefully with them being on a win streak and this being a play-off game many will show up

I agree. I was at the Giles vs Lee game last year and it was just a sea of red. The atmosphere at Giles itself it just amazing and when you have a team that comes in and brings a lot of fans and then you have Giles who always packs the stadium. I do believe Giles fans are the loudest of any other school in SWVA, not just because of the train horn but the fans themselves are very loud.

I was very disappointed that Giles forbid the cannon for lee though. Very sad.

They certainly didn't bring more than 500-750 to Appomattox. 

I know both Haysi and Clintwood on there own would travel well heck Clintwood fans outnumbered Sussex fans 3-1 at Sussex a few years back.

IMHO if the VHSL would bring back Regions for the 1st round or 2 of the playoffs.

I know both Haysi and Clintwood on there own would travel well heck Clintwood fans outnumbered Sussex fans 3-1 at Sussex a few years back.

IMHO if the VHSL would bring back Regions for the 1st round or 2 of the playoffs.

I have mixed feelings about that. It would be good for travel but i like to see different teams play each other. With the region set up you have a lot of rematches

I agree 100% with this....first they need to cut the playoffs to 8 teams on each side(sorry but 16 is too many IMO)....then go to a region format as you said to lower the travel some and last they need to do away with the stupid ass Cross-bracketing garbage....they want to cut travel down and then they go and do something as stupid as making 2 teams go 3/4 of the way across the state at the least for a state semifinal game....totally stupid IMO

I agree 100% with this....first they need to cut the playoffs to 8 teams on each side(sorry but 16 is too many IMO)....then go to a region format as you said to lower the travel some and last they need to do away with the stupid ass Cross-bracketing garbage....they want to cut travel down and then they go and do something as stupid as making 2 teams go 3/4 of the way across the state at the least for a state semifinal game....totally stupid IMO

I love cross bracketing. The fact that the two best teams, regardless of what side of the state, can play in the state title is better than less travel to me.

I love cross bracketing. The fact that the two best teams, regardless of what side of the state, can play in the state title is better than less travel to me.

First it don't matter if the 2 best teams are on the same side of the state or not the long travel outweighs that by A LOT IMO....Big deal if the 2 best teams play in semis then the winner should win the state or maybe the so-called 2 best teams weren't in the first place....I have just not liked the cross-bracketing from the start...and not every class does it is what is really stupid about it...all 6 should do it the same way....and now some have byes....another stupid thing IMO

Well VHSL will keep it at a 32 team playoff and after seeing an 8-2 and 2 9-1 teams miss the playoffs due auto bids for district champs I am 100% OK 1 extra round in the playoffs......I also like the cross bracketing I say each region starts with 8 teams after 2 rounds cross bracket with the other West Region for 1 round then the other side of the state for the next round. Lastly the State game should get rotated between the regions. The shorter trips would result in larger crowds and less travel expense while keeping the cross bracketing will keep a region with 2 powerhouse teams from knocking each other out early in the playoffs

In this system we have now a 9-1 team would never miss the playoffs unless they played a schedule where none of the teams they beat won any games....that was in the region system where district champs automatically made the playoffs. And I didn't think that was right either

And I could be wrong but the year Glenvar missed the playoffs at 9-1 I think Giles was 10-0 that year....I'm pretty sure it was a game between 2 9-0 teams that year in Pearisburg....I could be wrong without checking

And I just think you could cut down on some major travel by eliminating the cross-bracketing....everyone has their opinion on it I guess and nobody is right or wrong

And is it really right or fun to watch 1-9 or 0-10 teams make the playoffs? I mean seriously if you win 0% or 10% of your games do you really deserve to make the playoffs? I say NO

And is it really right or fun to watch 1-9 or 0-10 teams make the playoffs? I mean seriously if you win 0% or 10% of your games do you really deserve to make the playoffs? I say NO

Most of the cases I've heard of teams with awful records making the playoffs happened in the Tidewater or NOVA.

Occasionally, you'll see teams on the 3-7 level slip into the playoffs down this way, which is probably too much.  However, a #16 did beat a #1 in 3A West last year.

Most of the cases I've heard of teams with awful records making the playoffs happened in the Tidewater or NOVA.

Occasionally, you'll see teams on the 3-7 level slip into the playoffs down this way, which is probably too much.  However, a #16 did beat a #1 in 3A West last year.

True but last year Giles played a 1-9 Martinsville team that frankly couldn't have beaten a decent JV team....no way on earth should they have been in playoffs

And yes Hidden Valley did lose as the #1 seed last year I believe but I would call that a fluke and not a good reason to say 16 teams deserve to make the playoffs...but that's just my opinion

I like the cross bracketing myself. Especially if the two best teams that end up in Salem are from the same side. There is just something about playing for your States title the boys long for.........fans included.

Some like it and some don't....I'm like you I think Richlands and Union are the 2 best teams in the state but really that's just a guess....we really don't know that much about the  east teams....and you can't go by their record....but i guess it will all work out in the end

True but last year Giles played a 1-9 Martinsville team that frankly couldn't have beaten a decent JV team....no way on earth should they have been in playoffs

And yes Hidden Valley did lose as the #1 seed last year I believe but I would call that a fluke and not a good reason to say 16 teams deserve to make the playoffs...but that's just my opinion

I wouldn't call Waynesboro's win over Hidden Valley a fluke.  They beat Broadway handily the following week and lost to Western Albemarle in the closing seconds of the game, 33-28 in round three.  

Waynesboro was one play from the 3A state final four!

Some like it and some don't....I'm like you I think Richlands and Union are the 2 best teams in the state but really that's just a guess....we really don't know that much about the  east teams....and you can't go by their record....but i guess it will all work out in the end

I have no idea if Richlands and Union are the two best teams in 2A. I do think they are two of the best. I would never count out Giles, Buckingham and for sure Appomattox. I haven't seen any of those teams. As for the East we will just have to wait and see how good they really are.  I feel pretty good about saying the winner will come from one of these teams i mentioned.

I have said it a couple of times.....teams not on anybodys radar can get hot and go on an impressive run and shock many. I don't think that happens this year but you never know. I will add that it wouldn't surprise me at all if Graham makes some noise. I think they finally have there man in Palmer and i hope they do make some noise.

I have no idea if Richlands and Union are the two best teams in 2A. I do think they are two of the best. I would never count out Giles, Buckingham and for sure Appomattox. I haven't seen any of those teams. As for the East we will just have to wait and see how good they really are.  I feel pretty good about saying the winner will come from one of these teams i mentioned.

I have said it a couple of times.....teams not on anybodys radar can get hot and go on an impressive run and shock many. I don't think that happens this year but you never know. I will add that it wouldn't surprise me at all if Graham makes some noise. I think they finally have there man in Palmer and i hope they do make some noise.

I agree I like you think Richlands and Union are the 2 best teams but nobody has watched anyone from the east so really hard to say on them. I honestly don't think Giles could beat either Richlands or Union....But I really don't know much about Union this year except what i've read here....Richlands I talk to Mance's dad quite often and he usually don't say much about how good they are any year but he and a couple friends that watched y'all play all say "that's one of the best teams i've seen in a good while"....so i will take their word on it.

I'll be honest I thought Giles would finish 7-3 or maybe 8-2(if we got a few breaks)....and we sit at 9-1....I think our coaching staff and players have done a very very good job this year in what I thought was a rebuilding year.

Starting friday I just hope we come out and play hard, try and make a run at this and see how far they can go...and our fans(most will) be there to pat these young men on the back and tell them how proud we are of them win or lose