2A East and 1A East Teams

wave316

From the way I looked at it:

2ABoys: George Mason and Bluestone

2ABoys: Greensville and Bruton consolation

I think the East final 4 is pretty evenly matched. Bruton played Mason really close all the way until the 4th and then lost 68-63 . Greensville had a 7pt lead over Bluestone with 1:38 left and blew it. Guy got a shot off as time expired to win 64-62

I'm not real sure about 1A in the East

No they lost in the quarter finals in the east to Bluestone 87-73. Unless I'm reading something wrong or misunderstood...they are out of it. You did see where I posed the final 4 teams left in the East in my first post in this thread didn't you?

Madison lost to Bluestone at Bluestone and is done.  Madison started 4 freshmen in that game.  They are going to be good the next few years.  They went 21-5 this year with 3 losses to George Mason.  They only lose one player and he was literally the last guy off the bench. 

Mason is the EAST team, IMHO.  They go 10 deep and I think all are seniors.  Bluestone will not win away from the friendly confines of their home court.  I am not sure they ever run a play.  All one on one stuff.  No size, but are athletic.  Odd thing is that they are athletic but have only one player I would call a basketball player.  He is the point guard and can flat out shoot.

No they lost in the quarter finals in the east to Bluestone 87-73. Unless I'm reading something wrong or misunderstood...they are out of it. You did see where I posed the final 4 teams left in the East in my first post in this thread didn't you?

I glanced over it and thought it says boys and girls. Oops. My bad.

Madison lost to Bluestone at Bluestone and is done. Madison started 4 freshmen in that game. They are going to be good the next few years. They went 21-5 this year with 3 losses to George Mason. They only lose one player and he was literally the last guy off the bench.

Mason is the EAST team, IMHO. They go 10 deep and I think all are seniors. Bluestone will not win away from the friendly confines of their home court. I am not sure they ever run a play. All one on one stuff. No size, but are athletic. Odd thing is that they are athletic but have only one player I would call a basketball player. He is the point guard and can flat out shoot.

Do you think Mason has the team to stop Martinsville? I hope GC can win and get another crack at them but I don't know if that will happen or not.

I most certainly do think Mason can handle Martinsville.  When I say they are 10 deep, I mean they literally go 10 deep with very little drop off.  They are long, athletic and extremely well coached.  I watched the finals last night over in Orange (Mason v. Bluestone).  Mason was up 30 and could have won by 50 if their coach had not taken the press off. 

I know all the talk this year has been about Martinsville, but Mason has run the table so far with a team that returned everybody from a state team last year.  They have no fan support so nobody gets on the message boards and talks about them.  I guess that has kept them under the radar.  If I was a betting man, I'd take Mason by 10 and sleep really well.

Well if they are 10 deep on top of being long and athletic then they could very easily hang a loss on MHS. I was expecting alot more out of Martinsville than what I saw Friday night. They are a very good team....but not nearly as dominant as I was thought they would be. I would feel good about GC playing them again. I mean as athletic as they are they could very easily end up beating GC by 25 next time around...but I would like our chances especially if we are shooting the ball well again.

Big man for MHS is a solid post player.....but he has somewhat slow feet and he doesn't have the explosiveness I expected him to have in his leaping ability. He's kinda slow leaving the floor. McClung blocked him I think 2-3 times which should not happen when he's 6'8 and McClung is 6'0 or 6'1. He scored 23 on us but our defense slacked off alot in the 2nd half and we were pretty sloppy. If a team has 2 guards that can handle the ball well their press can be picked apart. You could tell when they didn't start pulling away from GC that they started to go in somewhat of a panick mode. GC not having alot of depth or a true post player really hurts in games like that against MHS.

Just some ramblings and opinions here.....

Oddly enough, Bearcat Bob and I have the same assessment of Bluestone.  I saw them against Greensville last week.  They certainly aren't a state tournament caliber team.  Greensville got hosed on that tip-in that the refs counted after the buzzer, although I guess if Greensville isn't so careless with the ball (backcourt violation), it would've been them that took the last shot.  I also agree with him that Bluestone never ran an offensive set and that the 5'8 PG is probably their best player.

What I do wonder about is George Mason.  Who has Mason played?  The wins they were hanging their hat on were the 3 against Madison County.  Then Madison County can't even beat this mediocre Bluestone team we're talking about??  Mason did squeeze by Bruton by 5 points.  That appears to be a good win, albeit a little too close for comfort.  In the end, their impressive record of 27 or 28-0 is kind of hard to argue with.

Martinsville laid a bit of an egg against Gate City and was fortunate to leave the gym with the W.  Gate is certainly a great team, but I can't help but feel like the Dogs underestimated their opponent.  That didn't happen Saturday in a convincing win over a Dan River team that the guys are a lot more familiar with.

Things should get interesting along those lines, though, because it would appear that MHS and Gate could very well meet again in the state semis.  I think it will be Mason versus Dan River in the other semi.

Of course everything I just spouted off myself was ramblings and a bunch of opinions. I realize it is hard to really judge a team off of just seeing them play one game.....I guess I was just expecting GC to get their butts handed to them from everything I had been hearing about MHS.

And I agree with your take on the semis. I think it's very possible we see another rematch between GC and MHS. Just hope it's another good game like the last one. If Dan River gets their center back they could be a completely different animal to deal with too. Hadn't heard how productive he was....just heard they had struggled the last few games since he's been out. They didn't look that good against Graham in the opening game on Friday...however Graham didn't play well either. They both shot the ball poorly that night and had a bunch of turnovers. And the refs also wouldn't call a foul for nothing in that game. Dan River looked to be very athletic.....just wasn't smart with the ball and pissed away alot of possessions as did Graham.

I also wonder about Mason as well. My opinion, but i dont think theyve played the quality teams that MHS, Graham, and GC have played. But if they are as deep and athletic as everyone has been claiming then they should be tough to beat. Hard to stop that many fresh legs coming at you if they can all play solid ball.

What about Bruton? What do they have to offer? Haven't really heard much about them at all.

MHS alum...for what it is worth:

Why would it be odd for you and I to agree with an assessment?  Just curious.

Bluestone has a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE home court advantage.  Seriously, I never think refs have much of an effect on the outcome of games, except at Bluestone.  It would be a tall order for anyone to beat them at home.   

Bruton won the Virginia Beach/Williamsburg summer league.  They are GOOD.  They hit 10 three pointers against Mason.  Bruton presses/traps ad nauseum.  Best players are Carr and Calloway.  No real post presence but do rebound aggressively, especially the guards.

George Mason...their 3 wins over Madison are quality wins; that Madison team is very talented, but young.  I would say that Mason's non-conference schedule is very tough.  They won the Falls Church Christmas Tournament this year with wins over private schools Thomas Jefferson, Pope John Paul, and Div. 4 Dominion.  They also beat Div. 5 JEB Stuart and Riverside.  They have been in only 3 close games this year and that may be their biggest problem. 

Now with all that being said, I hope Graham comes out and spanks them, or at least outscores them by one!  I still hope that a SWVA team wins it all.  I just happen to be in an area that allows me to follow these northern teams so I try to provide the best information on these teams that I can.  My youngest son also plays AAU with a lot of these kids so I get a look at some of them at the tournaments.  

Maybe poor choice of words. I thought maybe my assessment may have just been an off night for Bluestone. But yours matched exactly what I saw.

As for Mason's schedule. Jefferson, Stuart and Riverside won like 13 games between the 3 of them all season. Just because they're D5 doesn't make them good. MHS played fellow Piedmont District member D6 Franklin County twice. But they played 4 or 5 smaller schools that were better than the Eagles.

Like I said, 28-0 is impressive regardless of the opponent. But if they had played some teams like Northside and GW-Danville, I have to wonder if they'd still be undefeated.

I guess we will see very soon.  Like I said earlier, I hope Graham tops them.  But a MHS/Mason game would be a good one, IMHO.  One thing going for Mason, they are used to playing "away" games every night. It is sad to see how little support they get from the home "crowd".  But I hear that their soccer games are Standing Room Only.  Go figure.

After watching the Gate City- Martinsville game, if they do play in the semis I would hardly call a GC win an upset. Just hope next time the Dogs don't get into foul trouble so early. Holland has been in foul trouble very little this year, like maybe 3-4 times, and 2 of them were this weekend. Mavahi can't afford that going foward.

The Washington Post

AllMetsSports

George Mason boys' basketball stays unbeaten and aims for first state title

By Nick Eilerson February 29 at 3:33 PM

excerpt:

Few local high school basketball teams have soared above their competition like the George Mason boys this season. Heading into last Thursday’s Virginia 2A East region semifinal at Bruton, the Mustangs had turned all but one of their 26 games into double-digit laughers, their dominance spearheaded by a veteran starting five that has remained the same for three years in a row.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/george-mason-boys-basketball-stays-unbeaten-and-aims-for-first-state-title/2016/02/29/c720a808-df1e-11e5-846c-10191d1fc4ec_story.html