Richlands Little League Football System

Ryan4VT

Came to the jamboree to watch my brother play and was pleased to see we added another team to our league.

There's now Richlands Raiders and Cowboys, Cedar Bluff Blue Devils, Honaker Tigers, Twin Valley Panthers, Hurley Rebels, Grundy Golden Wave and now the Lebanon Pioneers.

That's an 8 team league and will only help the high school teams of these towns as their kids are now playing in good competition from kindergarten on up.

That's good they can find a league to play in... But it's sad they you have to leave your community to allow a kid to play ball.... So going back to your comment above, is it really good for them? These communities use to have four or five teams in their own league and now they are having to travel a few hours this way or that way just for a kid to play.... My opinion it's only burning these kids out at a young age... I know this because I have a kid in the little league system.... I'm glad the kids from Lebanon found a place to play!

It's MILES better than simply not having a league to play in period. And they split up travel evenly for the most part, so I think it helps in the long run rather than not having anywhere to play at all.

This may be somewhat of a sore subject for some Ryan. Richlands has asked Tazewell and Graham both to join their league last year and this year. So they both agreed to join this year. They notified the teams that were currently in their league of the move. Then Richlands voted it down!! Basically hung them out. Both of these teams joined a West Virginia league. Traveling to Princeton and Peterstown for games.

This may be somewhat of a sore subject for some Ryan. Richlands has asked Tazewell and Graham both to join their league last year and this year. So they both agreed to join this year. They notified the teams that were currently in their league of the move. Then Richlands voted it down!! Basically hung them out. Both of these teams joined a West Virginia league. Traveling to Princeton and Peterstown for games.

You need to double check your facts.  From what I understand, Tazewell and Graham both requested to play in the league.  However, they requested in mid-summer and there was not enough time to get everthing processed.  Kind of like Lebanon, they wanted to come in late last year as well.  I keep in touch with the board members and they all want both Tazewell and Graham in the league next year.  It was a matter of timing.  And just for your information, when it comes to letting other teams in the league, all of the other locations have a vote as well.  I have a friend in Tazewell that was fired up as well.  There is some mis-information floating around.  I told our board members years ago that if the league was managed well and was fair, all of the local communities would want in.  Kudos to those in the RIchlands Midget Football League, Inc.

For a little background information on Tazewell.  I actually took the Midget League over in 2007.  The league voted to run criminal background checks on all coaches in all locations.  Twin Valley and Honaker had no problem and was in agreement.  The task of this fell on the President at the time, me.  The "leaders" from Tazewell basically told us to shove off and thought they would be allowed to run their own background checks, which led to them breaking off to do their own thing. 

In my opinion, that put a hole in the boat that sunk the ship.  Coach Allen was given the Captaincy to a ship that was already under water. Those select few from Tazewell put their own agenda before what was best for their kids and their program.  We all know what the result has been.  This is not second hand information, it is straight from the horse's mouth.  I still have the letter they sent that basically said screw you.   The teams that stayed have enjoyed a measured amount of consistently upward success.  The last couple of years, Twin Valley has came on hard and it is no coincidence that Honaker is a perennial playoff team.  I was still in the league to usher both Hurley and Grundy in.  I have a great deal of pride and satisfaction in being able to say that.  Lebanon will see an upswing in a couple of years.  I was able to oversee all of this without actually having a son or daughter playing in the league.  About a year after my son was born, I turned the reigns over to Anthony Cox.  If the day comes that my son wants to play and I become involved again, and Tazewell is not in the league, the first person I will seek an audience with is Shane Allen.  I really feel that he is a good man with a daunting task.  Both Tazewell and Graham need in the League and I have a feeling that they soon will be.

I may seem to most on here to be the "anti-Richlands" Richlands fan.  The truth is that I am  the most misunderstood.  I have spent countless hours and some of my own dimes in that League, along with a little blood, alot of sweat and a fair amount of tears.  I love that league and the great young men that it has produced; be them Raiders, Cowboys, Devils, Tide, Tigers, Jets, Bengals, Panthers, Rising Waves or Rebels.  Hero to some and villain to others.  I always tried to do the right thing and be honest with people.  That means no agendas and doing right for all.  It is more important to me to be a man and establish character, than it is to be politically correct or to be socially accepted.

For a little background information on Tazewell.  I actually took the Midget League over in 2007.  The league voted to run criminal background checks on all coaches in all locations.  Twin Valley and Honaker had no problem and was in agreement.  The task of this fell on the President at the time, me.  The "leaders" from Tazewell basically told us to shove off and thought they would be allowed to run their own background checks, which led to them breaking off to do their own thing. 

In my opinion, that put a hole in the boat that sunk the ship.  Coach Allen was given the Captaincy to a ship that was already under water. Those select few from Tazewell put their own agenda before what was best for their kids and their program.  We all know what the result has been.  This is not second hand information, it is straight from the horse's mouth.  I still have the letter they sent that basically said screw you.   The teams that stayed have enjoyed a measured amount of consistently upward success.  The last couple of years, Twin Valley has came on hard and it is no coincidence that Honaker is a perennial playoff team.  I was still in the league to usher both Hurley and Grundy in.  I have a great deal of pride and satisfaction in being able to say that.  Lebanon will see an upswing in a couple of years.  I was able to oversee all of this without actually having a son or daughter playing in the league.  About a year after my son was born, I turned the reigns over to Anthony Cox.  If the day comes that my son wants to play and I become involved again, and Tazewell is not in the league, the first person I will seek an audience with is Shane Allen.  I really feel that he is a good man with a daunting task.  Both Tazewell and Graham need in the League and I have a feeling that they soon will be.

I may seem to most on here to be the "anti-Richlands" Richlands fan.  The truth is that I am  the most misunderstood.  I have spent countless hours and some of my own dimes in that League, along with a little blood, alot of sweat and a fair amount of tears.  I love that league and the great young men that it has produced; be them Raiders, Cowboys, Devils, Tide, Tigers, Jets, Bengals, Panthers, Rising Waves or Rebels.  Hero to some and villain to others.  I always tried to do the right thing and be honest with people.  That means no agendas and doing right for all.  It is more important to me to be a man and establish character, than it is to be politically correct or to be socially accepted.

Funny you mention the letter from Tazewell, I still have my copy as well. Graham & Tazewell both did request acceptance in our league this year & as stated it was in late May. Time is of the element in completing the background checks. Mostly all of the current board members have expressed an interest in having Graham & Tazewell join the league beginning the 2017 season. Word of mouth is not always the truth but to hear it from the horse's mouth makes the above statement FACT! Like Old School Blue, I have also spent many countless hours & years serving the youth of Richlands in all sports!    

Funny you mention the letter from Tazewell, I still have my copy as well. Graham & Tazewell both did request acceptance in our league this year & as stated it was in late May. Time is of the element in completing the background checks. Mostly all of the current board members have expressed an interest in having Graham & Tazewell join the league beginning the 2017 season. Word of mouth is not always the truth but to hear it from the horse's mouth makes the above statement FACT! Like Old School Blue, I have also spent many countless hours & years serving the youth of Richlands in all sports!    

You have guided the league with continued success.  Most people don't realize the sacrifice and the toll it takes to run the league.  You have had a tremendous influence on the entire program, as you have coached Smurf level through the Varsity program, not to mention the baseball and basketball programs.  We always made a pretty good team.  Good Luck this year!

The two of you don't get/haven't gotten nearly the credit that is deserved. People can say all they want about guys coming and transferring in, but that is usually 2 or maybe 3 guys. The other 40+ are a product of the system that you guys have built. There is a reason that Richlands is consistently one of the top 2 or 3 programs in SWVA in the last 12-15 years and it all starts at the bottom level of the RMFL on up. Kudos to both of you for all y'all do.

I always wondered what happened between the Richlands little league and Tazewell. My son started playing in Tazewell after 2007, but Tazewell still played in the Richlands jamboree and the Big Blue Bash. But when I asked why they didn't play in the Richlands League I kept getting different answers. Don't get me wrong though, the league my son played in was a pretty good league as Tazewell played against Graham, Bluefield, Mount View, and Montcalm. I hope what you guys are saying comes to be true though and Graham and Tazewell join the Richlands league next year.

I think that it is very sad that communities that we live in are having to resort to this type of format.  It is a shame that you have to travel that far to play in elementary school.  I have heard many football coaches talk about the game of football as being under attack.  I guess this is further proof that it is. Just throwing this out there, I think it also is a reflection of our country.  Playing the game of football you have to put aside differences in order to be successful and pick each other up when things are going bad.  Just my opinion.

Unfortunately falconfan1 the number of kids playing has drastically decreased in the 7 or 8 years I've helped with little league.  There are other options for kids in the fall now that "don't have the risk of getting injured".  Fall baseball, fall soccer, fall basket weaving etc.  As the numbers decline you obviously have fewer teams therefore you have to travel to get competition.  It does seem to some extent the game is under attack.  At this level it seems the amount of drama and/or "Daddy Ball" will sometimes turn kids away until MS or HS.  The Big Blue Bash that Richlands puts on in November is a great tournament that is very well organized.  I hope next year that Tazewell and Graham both if they choose to do so will be able to join the Richlands league.  Good competition.  By the way your Falcons have done very well in the Big Blue Bash each year going against some good competition!!

Unfortunately falconfan1 the number of kids playing has drastically decreased in the 7 or 8 years I've helped with little league.  There are other options for kids in the fall now that "don't have the risk of getting injured".  Fall baseball, fall soccer, fall basket weaving etc.  As the numbers decline you obviously have fewer teams therefore you have to travel to get competition.  It does seem to some extent the game is under attack.  At this level it seems the amount of drama and/or "Daddy Ball" will sometimes turn kids away until MS or HS.  The Big Blue Bash that Richlands puts on in November is a great tournament that is very well organized.  I hope next year that Tazewell and Graham both if they choose to do so will be able to join the Richlands league.  Good competition.  By the way your Falcons have done very well in the Big Blue Bash each year going against some good competition!!

I am sure population decline has some to do with it and the risk of getting injured.  But I remember playing little league baseball and football and we had 7 baseball teams and 4 football teams in town,(saltville/rich valley) never traveled any where. We played 8 to 12 year olds on the same teams, they were not split up by ages or grades  that makes a difference on how many teams you have in your town or league.