Friendly Confines

sixcat

Grundy and Hurley's field conditions are solely on upkeep. Plenty of other schools in the area that get as much if not more use out of their fields and don't look as bad as Nelson Memorial and The Cliff at seasons end. 

False.. drainage is the issue at Grundy for sure. I've seen Plymal spend hours a day working on that field to keep it maintained during season. Some years the field doesn't look bad at all near the end of the season but if its a wet fall there's really nothing anyone can do to keep it in good condition.

Improving some of the older facilities and locker rooms is a much better inverstment. Abingdon's field has had lots of work done on it by Coach Reed. Using that Bermuda developed by Tech is the best investment imo. PH is also in Washington County and the stadium is going to need replacing within a few more years. All of the schools in Washington Coutny have had new bathrooms installed. If these schools could replace the fields with Bermuda, it would make much more sense. That is if it would be possible to give the field time to take and find an alternative location for soccer for one season.

Improving some of the older facilities and locker rooms is a much better inverstment. Abingdon's field has had lots of work done on it by Coach Reed. Using that Bermuda devolved by Tech is the best investment imo. PH is also in Washington County and the stadium is going to need replacing within a few more years. All of the schools in Washington Coutny have had new bathrooms installed. If these schools could replace the fields with Bermuda, it would make much more sense. That is if it would be possible to give the field time to take and find an alternative location for soccer for one season.

• 2 months later...

That dirt field reminds me of quite a few fields around here back in the 90s. They seem to be no longer appreciated.

The issue I have with the current conditions is no attempt whatsoever has been made to improve field conditions as is.

The worse it looks, the more likely corrupt school board members and city councilmen have in getting what they want!

I don't think you can beat a good grass field.  I always thought Tazewell had a good field until the last couple of years.  It doesn't seem as though they have been doing any maintenance on it.  They also play soccer, middle school and little league football on that field as well.  In my opinion soccer can be pretty rough on a field, then again that may be because I don't like soccer.  The Richlands and Honaker fields are both very nice. They obviously have been taking good care of them unlike Mitchell. If the city of Galax is using Mitchell as an example to push for turf it's only because every time they play us there they run all over us.  I'm in favor of a hay field next time yall come to Mitchell.

When I played for Tazewell, we never practiced on the game field until towards the end of the season. Some of the assistant coaches used to do a great job of fertilizing, watering, and mowing the field. I think the boosters used to help paint the end zones on Thursday evenings.

When I played for Tazewell, we never practiced on the game field until towards the end of the season. Some of the assistant coaches used to do a great job of fertilizing, watering, and mowing the field. I think the boosters used to help paint the end zones on Thursday evenings.

Tazewell's field suffered this past season due to the lack of rain. Fire departments were watering the field with many gallons of water sometimes twice a day!

I don't think you can beat a good grass field. I always thought Tazewell had a good field until the last couple of years. It doesn't seem as though they have been doing any maintenance on it. They also play soccer, middle school and little league football on that field as well. In my opinion soccer can be pretty rough on a field, then again that may be because I don't like soccer. The Richlands and Honaker fields are both very nice. They obviously have been taking good care of them unlike Mitchell. If the city of Galax is using Mitchell as an example to push for turf it's only because every time they play us there they run all over us. I'm in favor of a hay field next time yall come to Mitchell.

Played on Tazewell's field. It truly was a great field when it was football only. The soccer teams played at Lincolnshire park, now on the football field. I know that the dry weather has really hampered it this season. It is just overused. I know there were rumors and even plans to install Bermuda grass which is why the track was taken up. Now that we have this new fieldhouse and addressed the bathroom and concession issue, we are moving onto seating. Only field I know where visitor seating is better even being smaller. Suppose to replace the wooden bleachers. Then we should move onto a field. Mitchell stadium is in garbage shape. Richlands and Honaker's Emats fields are absolutely beautiful to see, play, and coach.

And Abingdon's and Virginia High's playing fields were always really unique to me playing there late in the season when the Bermuda has turned tan away from green and they striped the field in black. Tazewell wants black in everything anyway, except for old school purist.