Friendly Confines

sixcat

Yes, Galax uses the field for soccer games. Practices are held in Felts Park.

I wonder what version bermuda Grayson has used.  Mohawk is what is generally recommended for our area and was developed at Tech as it is a little more cold tolerant.  That and seeding in some ryegrass to help the late football season and recover quicker for the start of soccer would still be the best choice I would think.

Its just really hard to get it going with multiple starts on one field though.

The problem with the bermuda field at Grayson County has been some maintenance issues, which I'm told has now been addressed, but also soccer. Looks like they practice in the same spots everyday which kill big patches of the grass. At least they could move around some seems like.

The problem with the bermuda field at Grayson County has been some maintenance issues, which I'm told has now been addressed, but also soccer. Looks like they practice in the same spots everyday which kill big patches of the grass. At least they could move around some seems like.

That isn't the only problem but it has been a huge issue.  The hillside and tree coverage limits sunlight for a large portion of the day.  That has the biggest impact on bermuda.  Several industry professionals strongly recommended Grayson not go with bermuda but the former superintendent was insistent.

Bermuda is nice, really nice but not if its dead.

I would stay away from turf.  In the first few years its really nice but it has its draw backs.   Turf burn, rubber in kids eyes and ive seen some research on possible connections between turf and cancer(soccer goalies in particular).  Plus football is meant to be played on grass. 

Imo put that money toward improving the existing grass field and the facilities.  

Buchanan Co. school board and supervisors or some wealthy coal company should have took action years ago when the economy was good and installed turf for Grundy and Hurley. Those fields are a mess at the end of the season!!! Field conditions where so bad for Grundy back in the 96 season the VHSL forced Grundy to move their state semifinal game from Grundy to Tazewell. I think it's hard to top those fields. Definitely those last three or four games of the season.

Grundy and Hurley's field conditions are solely on upkeep. Plenty of other schools in the area that get as much if not more use out of their fields and don't look as bad as Nelson Memorial and The Cliff at seasons end. 

If you ever played a game at Appalachia in the 80's you would know what a rough field looks like.  Man I remember that place like it was yesterday.  Rough doesn't even describe that field.  Part baseball field, Part football field.  But those boys from Appy were pretty tough since they played and practiced on it all season.  Remember this was before they dug up the parking lot across the road to make a practice field.

That rumor has been going around for decades.

That's true. However, with extremely tight budgets as they are now, the TCSB likely won't spend that money and will make the THS field Graham's "home away from home"...

Graham should just play at the high school...bring your lawn chair everyone!!!

If you ever played a game at Appalachia in the 80's you would know what a rough field looks like.  Man I remember that place like it was yesterday.  Rough doesn't even describe that field.  Part baseball field, Part football field.  But those boys from Appy were pretty tough since they played and practiced on it all season.  Remember this was before they dug up the parking lot across the road to make a practice field.

I thought the rocks and broken glass added to the ambiance of Riggs Stadium. :)

Nice!  I got up after making a tackle in Fries one time with a wire coat hanger sticking through my jersey and into my lower back.  Still have a nasty raised scar.  Dr. Vuurmans gave me a tetanus shot on the sideline.  That would never happen in today's society.  Dr. Vuurmans would lose his license, school administration and the coaching staff would be fired and my mother would go to jail.

Okay, okay, maybe a little hyperbolic but not that much!

Oh it added ambiance.  I got scars on my knees and elbows to show for it.  Least we not forget the coal dust on the field.  I'm pretty sure even the non starters uniforms were dirty from just warmups during pregame.  Good Times boys, Good Times!

I personally miss the ole days when you could water down the field the night before a state semifinal game and start a riff with a New River Valley coaching legend.

Can't do that with FieldTurf.

I bet you could. Just pulverize a few hundred tires, add a thousand gallons of water, and whammo...fake mud.

Third, studies show a significant health risk associated with kids playing on these surfaces from increased injury to the carcinogenic nature of the "rubber dust" lining the bottom of the field.  There are more than a thousand lawsuits nationwide associated with the later. 

Hence the need for a pregame "warm up."  http://naturalsociety.com/marijuana-kills-cancer-cells-admits-the-u-s-national-cancer-institute/

Grundy and Hurley's field conditions are solely on upkeep. Plenty of other schools in the area that get as much if not more use out of their fields and don't look as bad as Nelson Memorial and The Cliff at seasons end.

Plenty of other schools also don't have a field built into the side of a cliff where very little sunlight is on that field. Grundy also doesn't receive alot of sunlight on their field. Makes it hard to keep the field nice no matter the upkeep.

The Cliff offers some unique difficulties, drainage being a big issue.  Playing and practicing on it constantly don't help matters any. Personally I always LOVED playing over there, some of my best football memories were on that field. We did play over there once and 2/3s of the field(visitors sideline to the home sideline hash marks looked like a cow pasture, absolutely destroyed

That rumor has been going around for decades.

School Board members haven't called for action for decades.  If the rent doubles as expected... I don't see TCSB paying for it.  

If I were GHS, I'd start being pro-active and start actively looking for donors and some plans for financing....etc...   Something about the size of what Tazewell has would be great.  Floyd County's stadium is nice and wouldn't cost a fortune....the aluminum grand stand on the home side is pretty sweet.

That's true. However, with extremely tight budgets as they are now, the TCSB likely won't spend that money and will make the THS field Graham's "home away from home"...

Graham should just play at the high school...bring your lawn chair everyone!!!

This is what I'm hearing... wouldn't be the first time a school played it's home games at another school's stadium for one reason or another.  Graham needs their own stadium, anyway...... Mitchell Stadium can host the Buefield and Graham game every year...but Graham needs it's own facilities.  It's outrageous that the City of Bluefield can't do better than they have with the field.  

OH yeah....and they could do a better job plowing my street when it snows!!! they have new equipment now, so there's no excuse.

This is what I'm hearing... wouldn't be the first time a school played it's home games at another school's stadium for one reason or another. Graham needs their own stadium, anyway...... Mitchell Stadium can host the Buefield and Graham game every year...but Graham needs it's own facilities. It's outrageous that the City of Bluefield can't do better than they have with the field.

OH yeah....and they could do a better job plowing my street when it snows!!! they have new equipment now, so there's no excuse.

It would take a lot of money to build a field next to the school byt Already having the new field house out there would be one less expense. Parking could be an issue. Maybe pave over the second field for additional spots?

It would take a lot of money to build a field next to the school byt Already having the new field house out there would be one less expense. Parking could be an issue. Maybe pave over the second field for additional spots?

Yes...or pave the front parking lot in front of the school out closer to the road.  An aluminum grand stand and aluminum bleachers on the other side of the track for visitors about the size of what they have at Richlands.... If you have ever seen the Home side at Floyd Co., that's kind of what I was thinking for Graham.... to be cost effective.  Then you need nice new goal posts, a scoreboard, concession and restrooms.  That 2nd field could be used for practice.  Would be nice to have a decent track around that field too.  I don't think TCSB would help to finance anything at this point.  Maybe some prominent folks in Bluefield could help get it done.  Perhaps the New York Giants (G-Men) Could take them on as a charity case or something.

Something similar to the one in the upper left of this web link  But with Cardinal Red and Gold. (Maybe I'm asking too much)

http://www.southernbleacher.com/

"The Cliff" was resurfaced a few years back with money from the Smiley Ratliff foundation. Field and drainage system makes a world of difference there now. I would put it up with any natural field in the region during early season, holds up quite well into the winter compared to years past.

I personally miss the ole days when you could water down the field the night before a state semifinal game and start a riff with a New River Valley coaching legend. 

Can't do that with FieldTurf.

There's a difference between a "myth" and a "legend."  Just sayin'.

Carry on....