Friendly Confines

sixcat

This is going to be a bit more pointed than the title indicates.  I have been researching various stadiums and other athletic facilities throughout SWVA recently based on some political issues locally.  I have become fascinated by the circumstances surrounding some of the regions best facilities. 

For a little background, the Galax City School Board is trying to push a resolution through in order to resurface the football stadium with FieldTurf.  The issue I have isn't the unnecessary nature of the request but more in terms of the misinformation, lies and half-truths being put forward by certain members of School Board and the division superintendent in an effort to get what they clearly want.  

First, a school board member has used several far SWVA facilities as examples of what they would like to have done.  What this person fails to inform the remaining school board members and the general public is the fact that each and every facility mentioned was not funded by local tax dollars, at least not the ones I have been able to research.  And another isn't owned by the school system (Graham).  It isn't an apples to apples comparison and they are asking a relatively poor community like Galax to foot the bill for a million dollar upgrade that isn't a necessity.  

Second, they are claiming to be able to have the entire project cost "a little more than $600,000".  Another half-truth because the field turf alone will cost that, if not more.  My best educated guess would be closer to $800,000.  That would cover the turf and nothing more.  Stormwater management would also have to be brought up to meet current Virginia regulation before necessary permitting would be granted for construction to begin. As a general rule of thumb, stormwater costs an average of 50% of the remaining project.  Therefore, if the turf costs 800k, the stormwater measures would be an additional 400k for a project total of 1.2 million dollars. 

Third, studies show a significant health risk associated with kids playing on these surfaces from increased injury to the carcinogenic nature of the "rubber dust" lining the bottom of the field.  There are more than a thousand lawsuits nationwide associated with the later. 

Forth, they had an article posted in the Galax Gazette where coach Dixon asked the Miami Dolphins to provide community support grant money to pay for the field.  They were denied and told Miami isn't in the region covering Galax.  This is purely and effort to distract the general public into thinking the turf will be funded by outside dollars when, in fact, it will be entirely funded by taxpayer dollars.  

Fifth, the school system has far more pressing needs than artificial turf for the football field.  The school system hasn't given much effort to maintain the grass facility they currently have.  I realize the field isn't in great shape but, in my opinion, no effort has been made to get the field in better condition because the worse it looks, the more likely they are to get turf.

I would love information on how other communities have handled these issues in the past.

Thanks for listening/reading.

My advice to the City of Galax...DON'T DO IT!!!

The turf fields wear out rather quickly considering the price tag.  Plus, there are a lot of "hidden" costs that they may not be able or willing to meet in the future like the routine maintenance/upkeep required to keep the field usable year in and year out.  Then in about 15 or so years, you'll be looking to replace the field entirely with a new rug.

For most communities, they can't afford it.

The turf at Mitchell Stadium is shot due to the amount of use (little leagues, middle school, jv and varsity high school, and Bluefield College practicing on it every day).  The City of Bluefield doesn't have the money to replace it.  It was originally funded by the Shott Foundation when it was first installed with the agreement that the City would take care of it.  Well, they haven't.  Skipped maintenance, excessive use, and an idiot with a snow plow have worn it out in what I consider to be a very short time for something so expensive.  Now, I'm hearing rumors of the City of Bluefield wanting to hike the "usage fee" charged to Bluefield High School, Graham High School, and Bluefield College by over 60% in the coming years.  I'm pretty certain neither Mercer nor Tazewell Counties are going to pay that sort of increase. 

Keep the grass.

In my opinion, the field itself doesn't need improving, it needs better attention and maintenance.  For a fraction of the yearly cost of turf, they could hire a professional landscaper to care for the grass.  As for improved facilities, I agree.  Lighting, concessions, restroom and visitor seating all should be improved before the field itself.

My biggest concern in this matter is the fact that school board members are appointed by city council rather than elected by the voting public.  This process amounts to what could effectively be defined as "lifetime appointments".  In the rare occasion a position on school board does come open, an application must be submitted to city council.  City council then actively recruits against anyone they feel would be "difficult to work with", or, as I like to put it, not a member of the good ole boy system.  I know this to be fact because when a friend of mine applied for an open seat on school board, a coworker was approached to fill the vacant seat because the person applying was "an outsider".

The "outsider" decided instead, to run for an elected city council position.  He was elected to council and has been a thorn in the collective side of the "good ole boy network" ever since.

I am glad you started this topic sixcat.  Every single piece of information GMan has shared is absolutely true!!!  Upgrades to seating imo is one of the best investments a school system can make.  I have recently contacted the school board here about upgrading the seating at both facilities in the county.  There is absolutely no handicap seating on the visitors side of either stadium in the county.  Very limited and I stress limited handicap seating on the home sides.  I spoke with the Asst. Superintendent last year about this issue.  He stated the matter would be taken care of.  I stressed to him it didn't have to be nothing elaborate just "something" that was wheelchair accessible.  Fast forward one year..........nothing.  If you're in a wheelchair grab you a spot on the track and look at the backsides of everyone on the sideline.  I'm not sure what if anything can be done to improve this situation.

Better seating, lighting, concession stands/bathrooms, and fieldhouse/locker room are a much better investment if they are wanting to spend money.

Not a lot of remaining room for a field house.  There has been some talk of backfilling the lower parking lot behind the end zone up to the level of the playing field and building a field house there.  I'm not sure if this "talk" is serious but that would be a significant investment in material.  Based on Google Earth elevations, about 200,000 cubic yards of material would be needed.  Or, to put it another way, about 25,000 dump truck loads at about $300 a load. 

Turf has been discussed here at big stone gap for BULLET PARK....THE SAME ISSUE CAME UP, COST,MAINT. IMPACT ECT.The TOWN OF BIG STONE GAP owns the field and park,there is very little cost to the school system,the school agrees to clean up after the game and maybe the cost for lights during the games.Our town has elected to spend money on new bathrooms and seating(bought several years ago).Turf would be nice but I think it causes injuries especialy to half grown high school kids(RIDGEVIEW,CENTRAL)Seam to have more issues with injuries that say Union,LETCHER COUNTY KY,also had some season ending knee injuries.Turf looks great and you can sweep it off and play after it snows but for my money good old BERMUDA GRASS does a great job....as long as you don't mind brown grass after the first frost.

I don't think you can beat a good grass field.  I always thought Tazewell had a good field until the last couple of years.  It doesn't seem as though they have been doing any maintenance on it.  They also play soccer, middle school and little league football on that field as well.  In my opinion soccer can be pretty rough on a field, then again that may be because I don't like soccer.  The Richlands and Honaker fields are both very nice. They obviously have been taking good care of them unlike Mitchell. If the city of Galax is using Mitchell as an example to push for turf it's only because every time they play us there they run all over us.  I'm in favor of a hay field next time yall come to Mitchell.

I don't think you can beat a good grass field.  I always thought Tazewell had a good field until the last couple of years.  It doesn't seem as though they have been doing any maintenance on it.  They also play soccer, middle school and little league football on that field as well.  In my opinion soccer can be pretty rough on a field, then again that may be because I don't like soccer.  The Richlands and Honaker fields are both very nice. They obviously have been taking good care of them unlike Mitchell. If the city of Galax is using Mitchell as an example to push for turf it's only because every time they play us there they run all over us.  I'm in favor of a hay field next time yall come to Mitchell.

Mitchell is one example they are using.  I wouldn't blame you for making Mitchell unusable prior to the next time Galax comes to town.  

All joking aside, given the people associated with this endeavor, I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn the results of the last two times Galax played at Mitchell are a contributing factor.  Richlands, Ridgeview and Honaker are the other facilities being used as examples.  As I stated before, I don't believe taxpayer dollars payed for any of these facilities, at least not directly.  Please, correct me if I am wrong.

Galax simply stopped taking care of the field in an effort to garner support for turf.  The lack of transparency and honesty has bit them in the ass. 

for my money good old BERMUDA GRASS does a great job....as long as you don't mind brown grass after the first frost.

Personally I love Northwood's field after the first frost.  Their colors are Navy and Silver (not white) and the field has kind of a grayish brown look and they stripe the field with Navy Blue.

Personally I love Northwood's field after the first frost.  Their colors are Navy and Silver (not white) and the field has kind of a grayish brown look and they stripe the field with Navy Blue.

Bermuda has been attempted at other local facilities in the past.  For various reasons, it doesn't remain healthy in this area as it does in North Carolina and closer to the Bristol area.  A couple of golf courses experimented with it at one time to no avail.  Grayson County installed it a few years ago and have had an extremely difficult time with it.  They are looking at alternatives.

Turf has been discussed here at big stone gap for BULLET PARK....THE SAME ISSUE CAME UP, COST,MAINT. IMPACT ECT.The TOWN OF BIG STONE GAP owns the field and park,there is very little cost to the school system,the school agrees to clean up after the game and maybe the cost for lights during the games.Our town has elected to spend money on new bathrooms and seating(bought several years ago).Turf would be nice but I think it causes injuries especialy to half grown high school kids(RIDGEVIEW,CENTRAL)Seam to have more issues with injuries that say Union,LETCHER COUNTY KY,also had some season ending knee injuries.Turf looks great and you can sweep it off and play after it snows but for my money good old BERMUDA GRASS does a great job....as long as you don't mind brown grass after the first frost.

We REALLY need a new fieldhouse for the players, and some better bathroom facilities. I think everything else is fine.

My advice to the City of Galax...DON'T DO IT!!!

The turf fields wear out rather quickly considering the price tag.  Plus, there are a lot of "hidden" costs that they may not be able or willing to meet in the future like the routine maintenance/upkeep required to keep the field usable year in and year out.  Then in about 15 or so years, you'll be looking to replace the field entirely with a new rug.

For most communities, they can't afford it.

The turf at Mitchell Stadium is shot due to the amount of use (little leagues, middle school, jv and varsity high school, and Bluefield College practicing on it every day).  The City of Bluefield doesn't have the money to replace it.  It was originally funded by the Shott Foundation when it was first installed with the agreement that the City would take care of it.  Well, they haven't.  Skipped maintenance, excessive use, and an idiot with a snow plow have worn it out in what I consider to be a very short time for something so expensive.  Now, I'm hearing rumors of the City of Bluefield wanting to hike the "usage fee" charged to Bluefield High School, Graham High School, and Bluefield College by over 60% in the coming years.  I'm pretty certain neither Mercer nor Tazewell Counties are going to pay that sort of increase. 

Keep the grass.

I believe that TCPS doesn't want to foot the bill at the current rate for Mitchell Stadium....considering the poor shape of the field.  Rumors going around that Graham may be playing home games elsewhere soon.

I believe that TCPS doesn't want to foot the bill at the current rate for Mitchell Stadium....considering the poor shape of the field.  Rumors going around that Graham may be playing home games elsewhere soon.

That rumor has been going around for decades.

When I first saw the name of the thread, I started thinking of Harry Carey and Wrigley Field :)

Seriously, if anything, use the money to improve on the current grass field and the remainder on the stands, bathrooms and other stadium amenities.  The dollars will go much farther instead of going to a synthetic turf field.  I love a nice field as much as anyone else but with budget constraints facing this region as a whole, there are more prudent and pressing needs than an extra burden on the taxpayers.

Don't know if this is an option for Galax, but is there a chance for private donations/fundraising to cover most or all of the cost of the desired renovations?  As others have stated, many of the grass fields are good playing surfaces.  I'm not sure that bermuda would work in Galax but maybe there is a bermuda hybrid that might suffice.  I'm not a turf management expert....just throwing it out there in case someone on this forum has expertise in field/turf management.

Buchanan Co. school board and supervisors or some wealthy coal company should have took action years ago when the economy was good and installed turf for Grundy and Hurley. Those fields are a mess at the end of the season!!! Field conditions where so bad for Grundy back in the 96 season the VHSL forced Grundy to move their state semifinal game from Grundy to Tazewell. I think it's hard to top those fields. Definitely those last three or four games of the season.