Gate City @ Wise Central

Leatherhead Larry

Wise Central's win vs the Devils last season kept GC from making the playoffs. The Warriors are on a 4 game losing streak while the Devils are on a 4 game winning streak heading into Friday night. GC needs to finish strong in hopes getting a better seed for the playoffs this season (possibly #11 or #12). GC was banged up pretty good last week with a few key contributors out. We need those guys to get healthy as soon as possible. A win to put us at 5-5 would be a great finish to a regular season that started 0-5. Just find a way to win Big Blue...just find a way!

Devils 28

Warriors 27

I don't think Central has anything for the Devils. As long as Collier is healthy GC rolls. The Warriors don't have the same size or line play they did last year. Blue Devils finish 5-5 and snag the #11 or #12 seed.

GC 35

Central 20

I stopped yesterday on my way to the UVA Wise game to see exactly how to get to Centrals field. They have a nice field but parking may be a problem. How did Central end up with field turf and the rest of the consolidated schools did not?

The field is top notch, but you feel like you are miles away from the game. Especially if you stand at the fence.

Central was the only school that didn't have an adequate football facility to play at. The old JJ Kelly field was going to need extensive renovations. That's why they played at UVA-Wise. Enter Richard Gilliam. Former JJ Kelly graduate and owner of Cumberland Resources donated $2 Million from his foundation to build the stadium.

Parking isn't as bad as it looks. They have a couple of big fields on the other side of the school that they park in complete with attendants. They also offer shuttle services from the Burke's parking lot down by Wal-Mart.

The views and sunsets from the top of that mountain are spectacular, but the wind can be harsh. Temps up there can be significantly different from what you will feel when you leave GC.

The field is top notch, but you feel like you are miles away from the game. Especially if you stand at the fence.

Central was the only school that didn't have an adequate football facility to play at. The old JJ Kelly field was going to need extensive renovations. That's why they played at UVA-Wise. Enter Richard Gilliam. Former JJ Kelly graduate and owner of Cumberland Resources donated $2 Million from his foundation to build the stadium.

Parking isn't as bad as it looks. They have a couple of big fields on the other side of the school that they park in complete with attendants. They also offer shuttle services from the Burke's parking lot down by Wal-Mart.

The views and sunsets from the top of that mountain are spectacular, but the wind can be harsh. Temps up there can be significantly different from what you will feel when you leave GC.

Thanks for the info. On a side note the highlight of going to the UVA Wise game yesterday was getting to see Phil Robbins on the sidelines.

I stopped yesterday on my way to the UVA Wise game to see exactly how to get to Centrals field. They have a nice field but parking may be a problem. How did Central end up with field turf and the rest of the consolidated schools did not?

Doesn't Ridgeview play on a turf field. There is your answer. I would say Union said no thanks. Bullit Park has always been grass and they ain't about to change that.

Doesn't Ridgeview play on a turf field. There is your answer. I would say Union said no thanks. Bullit Park has always been grass and they ain't about to change that.

Union fan provided the correct answer.

Gate City will win and then a much deserved week off. If they don't win they may be off for a long time. GC 34 The Central High School at Wise 18.  

This could be a trap for the Devils, like Battle. Both teams will have to play with a chip on their shoulder. What exactly would a loss mean for Gate City? A loss for Central would probably have them sitting at home or am I wrong?

I don't think Central beats Gate City this time. 

Gate City 33, Central 14

A loss for GC would mean back to back losing seasons, which GC hasn't done in half a century. And would more than likely drop like a rock in the standings If John Battle (vs Lee) and Lebanon (@ Richlands) win this week.

Don't believe you have to worry about Lebanon winning this week, good buddy.

Me too.  Lee was flat ignoring the rb and everyone else except Mullins, at one point Central's attempt to mix it up was to put Mullins out in the slot and bring him over getting it on a jet sweep which obviously fooled no one. 

Me too.  Lee was flat ignoring the rb and everyone else except Mullins, at one point Central's attempt to mix it up was to put Mullins out in the slot and bring him over getting it on a jet sweep which obviously fooled no one. 

They did the same thing against Union, along with all sorts of crazy shifting. It wasn't very successful.

Who is the RB Wise Central (#2) has been using to replace the injured Jarrett Jessee? Any chance Jessee plays this week?

Heard Jessee was out as well. #2(Trevor Shoop) is a stout, shifty, little guy with good quickness. He was impressive against Grundy, but fumbled several times. Didn't use him much against Union.