Bullitt Park history

redtiger

I was talking to a friend about Bullitt Park last night. About all the history there, all the playoff and title games that had been played at "The Park". Correct me if I'm wrong but PV, Appy and Clintwood all played state title games there. Could someone explain why Clintwood and Appy played there? And if you could the years for those games.

Thanks in advance

http://m.heraldcourier.com/sports/history-with-hayes-no-with-a-bullitt/article_95545f94-16a4-11e3-9ce7-0019bb30f31a.html?mode=jqm

Sorry if the hyperlink doesn't open. September 5th 2013 Bristol Courier "History with Hayes". VHSL ruled the field wasn't suitable for play for Appalachia and Jonesville so they moved the games to Bullit Park. Appalachia played in 1992 & 96. Jonesville won their 1988 title their too. Article doesn't mention Clintwood but I'm not sure why they couldn't have played at home though. VHSL may have ruled the same but seems Clintwood always had a playable field.

I think the Clintwood game may have been a semi-final. I remember reading about that. I'll see what I can find.

According to this... http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f1361/161435-wise-county-football-history-1923-2005-a.html

1973 saw the beginning of a dynasty in the LPD that would be the talk of the state in years to come. Under the direction of Ralph Cummins, the Clintwood Greenwave took the district crown with a record of 12-1. The only blemish on the Clintwood record was a controversial 23-22 loss to Madison in the State title game at Bullitt Park, in Big Stone Gap.

Edited by Union_Fan

Parking is alright at Bullitt but I'm from Haysi where parking was nonexistent.

I have learned to park by the river near the side entrance. Always room and it's easy to get out.

Seating is pretty average

One of my favorite places to watch a game, I watched many GC-PV games from stands and press box, the atmosphere there is electric during a big game. The old Appy-PV games there were some of my favorites to witness. I will be a sad day if it ever replaced, but it really does need major upgrades just like Legion Field in GC. 

Much worse places. For years the field was top notch, as good as natural grass can get (Phil took immense pride in his grass). The bathrooms suck, but there's plenty of seating, tons of standing room and the visitor bleachers are in far better shape than in some places.