Arbys Classic Scores and Updates:

RiverRat24

I'd be shocked if GC doesn't roll Lebanon by 50 if GC shows up. GC is that good, and Lebanon doesn't have the horses to even remotely match up (no one around here does, but at least Union has size. Does Leb have anynsize at all?)

I think GC will win....But I don't really see 50 pts. You may be right and I hope you are. But if GC goes up by 30 I think Scotty starts pulling g guys left and right....And he really needs to just to get the other guys some much needed experience. Someone else needs to step up as a scoring threat other than the big 3 for GC. Kimbler, Compton, Vermillion, Sharpie, Noe....Whoever it may be, it needs to happen.

I think GC will win....But I don't really see 50 pts. You may be right and I hope you are. But if GC goes up by 30 I think Scotty starts pulling g guys left and right....And he really needs to just to get the other guys some much needed experience. Someone else needs to step up as a scoring threat other than the big 3 for GC. Kimbler, Compton, Vermillion, Sharpie, Noe....Whoever it may be, it needs to happen.

50 is more of an expression than a true prediction, GC won't purposely beat Leb by 50 even if capable, starters will rest and GC wins something like 70-40.

50 is more of an expression than a true prediction, GC won't purposely beat Leb by 50 even if capable, starters will rest and GC wins something like 70-40.

If GC can use their bench and still win by that margin ...Sign me up. They need to be filtered into the game one at a time....Not subbed in 3-4 at a time. The young ones need experience with the starting unit

If GC can use their bench and still win by that margin ...Sign me up. They need to be filtered into the game one at a time....Not subbed in 3-4 at a time. The young ones need experience with the starting unit

Talking to someone today whonhas seen GC this season, I was surprised to hear that GC doesn't go 8-10 deep and all out press like usual. I can see adjusting scheme and maybe not pressing entire game to save McClung and Erving but the fact GC doesn't have 8-10 quality guys that see 10+ minutes per game is not the norm. If there's a hole in the armor, it's maybe the depth (and shooting from what I hear, this isn't like some GC teams of the past that have four guys hitting threes) and lack of a true interior game.

Talking to someone today whonhas seen GC this season, I was surprised to hear that GC doesn't go 8-10 deep and all out press like usual. I can see adjusting scheme and maybe not pressing entire game to save McClung and Erving but the fact GC doesn't have 8-10 quality guys that see 10+ minutes per game is not the norm. If there's a hole in the armor, it's maybe the depth (and shooting from what I hear, this isn't like some GC teams of the past that have four guys hitting threes) and lack of a true interior game.

Collier has the talent and ability to make a huge impact in a game in the paint if he would work to get open as Mac and Zac take the ball to the rack. He's strong and has good skills.....It's just like he gets caught up at times just watching the show. Zac could also be used to post up if Scotty would have him do it. He's got enough size on him that I feel confident he could. GC can attack the paint and play outside too....But when your shooting as poorly as GC was from deep in the Arbys it's hard to get anything going. I know Mac went 0-8 from 3 against Wings and that never happens. Dean was off too....He didn't really look comfortable to me out there. He's a freshman so maybe he was in fact uncomfortable or had a bad case of the nerves. GC can make it work with what they have....Inside and outside game. They just have to play with more fire and not get lazy. Crashing the boards is something I wanna see change asap. A few more rebounds on either side of the ball and GC could have easily been 3-0 instead of 0-3 and maybe even playing in the Championship. Hopefully they will get their act together and play like a team that's hungry for their first ever state title in basketball.

Collier has the talent and ability to make a huge impact in a game in the paint if he would work to get open as Mac and Zac take the ball to the rack. He's strong and has good skills.....It's just like he gets caught up at times just watching the show. Zac could also be used to post up if Scotty would have him do it. He's got enough size on him that I feel confident he could. GC can attack the paint and play outside too....But when your shooting as poorly as GC was from deep in the Arbys it's hard to get anything going. I know Mac went 0-8 from 3 against Wings and that never happens. Dean was off too....He didn't really look comfortable to me out there. He's a freshman so maybe he was in fact uncomfortable or had a bad case of the nerves. GC can make it work with what they have....Inside and outside game. They just have to play with more fire and not get lazy. Crashing the boards is something I wanna see change asap. A few more rebounds on either side of the ball and GC could have easily been 3-0 instead of 0-3 and maybe even playing in the Championship. Hopefully they will get their act together and play like a team that's hungry for their first ever state title in basketball.

Hard to believe that Powell Valley won a basketball title (albeit in the 70s) and GC never has with boys. Some of those teams with Spivey, J. MacMurray (still best HS shooter I've seen) and the kid that was an elite basketball and baseball player but his name escapes me never won a title. He hit a huge shot to beat PV at PV in 04/05 IIRC.

GC's problem isn't on offense. They have shooters.

Oh I agree the main problem isn't the offense. However, there's several things GC could improve on dramatically on offense. The assists stat box is almost a bare cupboard in some games....And rebounding is abysmal. That's just the first 2 things off the top of my head that stick out the most. The other thing is getting experience for the young guys and developing depth...That will come with time and that's not the guys fault. Just having shooters won't always work though. There has to be offensive production other ways than just shooting outside shots...Because eventually GC will be cold again. Getting higher percentage shots in the paint has got to happen. (And that doesn't include Mac or Zac going 1 on 3 or 1 on 5)

Defense is obviously the biggest area in need though and anyone that's watched the Devils can see that. GC has trouble stopping anyone that's an offensive threat. There's hardly ever a hand in the face of shooters and anyone with 1/5 the skill of Mac is gonna put up alot points slashing to the bucket and making backdoor cuts.

The Arbys really pointed out the things that need to be worked on the most. It was great for the boys to get their wrinkles out in the open and now address them. Now....To see if Scotty gets to work and we see a difference in the coming week(s). I feel confident GC will fix the issues they have and be a fine tuned machine by the time the playoffs roll back around.

Hard to believe that Powell Valley won a basketball title (albeit in the 70s) and GC never has with boys. Some of those teams with Spivey, J. MacMurray (still best HS shooter I've seen) and the kid that was an elite basketball and baseball player but his name escapes me never won a title. He hit a huge shot to beat PV at PV in 04/05 IIRC.

Your probably talking about Nate Clark. Was an exceptional PG and could see the court better than any guard I've seen at the HS level. Of course he was a great baseball player too. But the teams that beat GC those years were just leaps and bounds better. The best chance GC had at a state title was in 07. Up like 8 points with 4 or 5 mins left when our big man fouled out and then blew it badly. GC was the best team in the state that year. (But still no trophy to show for it sadly)

You heard wrong. GC can shoot from anywhere on the court. Like the others said, it's not the offense that's the problem.

You heard wrong. GC can shoot from anywhere on the court. Like the others said, it's not the offense that's the problem.

I somehow missed the part that BigWinner put in parentheses about GC not having many shooters like usual until you quoted it. The offense has areas it can improve on....But it's not shooting. That's the last problem GC has. The shooters GC has this year is probably the best group of shooters I've ever seen together....Two (maybe 3) of which I think are better than Jesse McMurray. When your cold your cold....That can happen. The defense has resemblances of the football teams defense at times though. They could stand alot of improvement. But hustle would cure alot of their problems. Seems like they have a bad case of laziness most of the time. Go all out on offense and don't give the same in return on D.

A few close losses to really good teams should help to refocus the guys. Aside from the fact GC blew two of the games and had the chance to win all 3....Those were still super talented teams. GC is still as good as advertised....and they are pretty young which people tend to forget amidst all the talent. Scotty will do plenty of chewing and get the boys headed down the right path.

I've seen Floyd twice. They're not particularly good. They hustle and play pretty fundamental ball, but they just aren't real talented or athletic. MHS beat them by 39, and it could've been way worse. I also saw them lose at Patrick County.

And as for insane moms at games...we just played some JV games in Roanoke at Hidden Valley and we had a kid's mom from HV come in our locker room swearing and trying to get to our kids.

Arby's/early season reflections:

We all need to remember that we have not, I don't believe, played a school real close to our own size. We have played a bunch of larger TN schools, a 9-1 team from the Bronx (lost by 4), and Georgia's #1 ranked 4A school (lost by 5 in OT). Not sure who was the smallest school at Arby's, but I would guess we were one of the smaller ones (not counted prep schools like Christ School from Arden, NC)  We did not shoot as well as we can at the Arby's, but still had a real chance to go 2-1 or 3-0 in our games. 

We lost 8 kids last year, only have 7 games under our belt, and pretty much all of our subs are seeing their first varsity action. That first varsity action is coming against some stiff competition.

We are not a good rebounding team. The team from the Bahamas, on one possession, got 7 consecutive offensive rebounds. This is going to be an issue all year. With the way we play offense, having a bunch of kids on the perimeter looking for a 3, does not leave many kids in the paint to rebound. We will not get a lot of offensive rebounds, or second chance points all year.

All of us would like to see more of the kids score. However, there are only so many possessions/shots in a game. Mac, Zac, and Dean WILL take their shots. There will not be a lot of "extra" shots to go around. We are not going to have balanced scoring in the majority of our games. 

All of us also want to see more of the kids get more minutes. I believe this is getting ready to happen. Our schedule really has not allowed it so far. Looks like Scotty wanted to use the first few games of the year to get the starters, and a couple of subs, a lot of minutes. With so many new kids, that made sense. Our last 3 games did not really allow for it either. We were facing great competition, and had a chance to win all 3 games. I believe we should be getting some substantial leads in some of our next games, and more kids will get more minutes. 

If we are having an average shooting night, we can score a lot of points. If we are having a great shooting night, we can post some impressive numbers. 

Our defense the last 3 games has not been bad. Our rebounding, which has cost us a lot of points, has been bad. 

It is unusual to see us playing so much zone, and not doing any full-court press. However, it has worked fairly well the last 3 games against some great competition. Keeps us out of foul trouble (which allows the "big three" to stay in the game), limits the number of foul shots the other team takes (since we should not be fouling as often and putting the other team in 1 and 1 so early), and keeps the legs of the big three fresher (which comes in handy for a perimeter shooting team like we are).

So far our ability to handle full court pressure has been impressive. Mac, Zac, and Dean have easily handled the man-to-man pressure. As a team we have feasted on the zone presses and scored in transition. Can't imagine we will see a lot of full court pressure the next several weeks. Honestly do not think most (not all) local teams will cause us any problems if they try to press. 

We are going to have some close games against local teams, and I would not be surprised if we lose a game or two. We are bound to have nights where a couple of the big three have off nights. We may have some problems with teams who have a dominant post player. 

You need to get to home games early. Rumor has it that we are going to have to look at stopping ticket sales once so many people have been admitted. 

Just my opinions, and I am wrong a lot. 

Your probably talking about Nate Clark. Was an exceptional PG and could see the court better than any guard I've seen at the HS level. Of course he was a great baseball player too. But the teams that beat GC those years were just leaps and bounds better. The best chance GC had at a state title was in 07. Up like 8 points with 4 or 5 mins left when our big man fouled out and then blew it badly. GC was the best team in the state that year. (But still no trophy to show for it sadly)

Yeah, Nate Clark.

Arby's/early season reflections:

We all need to remember that we have not, I don't believe, played a school real close to our own size. We have played a bunch of larger TN schools, a 9-1 team from the Bronx (lost by 4), and Georgia's #1 ranked 4A school (lost by 5 in OT). Not sure who was the smallest school at Arby's, but I would guess we were one of the smaller ones (not counted prep schools like Christ School from Arden, NC) We did not shoot as well as we can at the Arby's, but still had a real chance to go 2-1 or 3-0 in our games.

We lost 8 kids last year, only have 7 games under our belt, and pretty much all of our subs are seeing their first varsity action. That first varsity action is coming against some stiff competition.

We are not a good rebounding team. The team from the Bahamas, on one possession, got 7 consecutive offensive rebounds. This is going to be an issue all year. With the way we play offense, having a bunch of kids on the perimeter looking for a 3, does not leave many kids in the paint to rebound. We will not get a lot of offensive rebounds, or second chance points all year.

All of us would like to see more of the kids score. However, there are only so many possessions/shots in a game. Mac, Zac, and Dean WILL take their shots. There will not be a lot of "extra" shots to go around. We are not going to have balanced scoring in the majority of our games.

All of us also want to see more of the kids get more minutes. I believe this is getting ready to happen. Our schedule really has not allowed it so far. Looks like Scotty wanted to use the first few games of the year to get the starters, and a couple of subs, a lot of minutes. With so many new kids, that made sense. Our last 3 games did not really allow for it either. We were facing great competition, and had a chance to win all 3 games. I believe we should be getting some substantial leads in some of our next games, and more kids will get more minutes.

If we are having an average shooting night, we can score a lot of points. If we are having a great shooting night, we can post some impressive numbers.

Our defense the last 3 games has not been bad. Our rebounding, which has cost us a lot of points, has been bad.

It is unusual to see us playing so much zone, and not doing any full-court press. However, it has worked fairly well the last 3 games against some great competition. Keeps us out of foul trouble (which allows the "big three" to stay in the game), limits the number of foul shots the other team takes (since we should not be fouling as often and putting the other team in 1 and 1 so early), and keeps the legs of the big three fresher (which comes in handy for a perimeter shooting team like we are).

So far our ability to handle full court pressure has been impressive. Mac, Zac, and Dean have easily handled the man-to-man pressure. As a team we have feasted on the zone presses and scored in transition. Can't imagine we will see a lot of full court pressure the next several weeks. Honestly do not think most (not all) local teams will cause us any problems if they try to press.

We are going to have some close games against local teams, and I would not be surprised if we lose a game or two. We are bound to have nights where a couple of the big three have off nights. We may have some problems with teams who have a dominant post player.

You need to get to home games early. Rumor has it that we are going to have to look at stopping ticket sales once so many people have been admitted.

Just my opinions, and I am wrong a lot.

Which local team(s) do you see GC having trouble with? Just curious. I'm gonna assume one of the local teams your referring to is Union. Not sure who else GC will struggle with honestly...But it could definitely happen. Maybe Battle...Should be about it unless there's a team I'm forgetting about. Now if your including regional teams then I'd add in Richlands and Graham for sure.

I agree with everything you said though. I'm actually glad to see GC going to a zone some. I think it will pay off in the long run. If a zone is played the way it needs to be played it's tough to deal with.

I would be shocked if GC looses a game or two locally, should dominate barring injuries.

Me too. Just don't see who is gonna do it. Out of regular season opponents I guess Union, only because of the rivalry and anything can happen. Other than that, I don't see anyone beating us but maybe a couple games that we don't play all to well that end up closer than they should be.

It could happen, but I think GC will have to play really bad for anyone around here locally to have a shot. I think these past 3 games will strengthen GC and I wouldn't be suprised to see the Devils take out a little bit of frustration on the Pioneers and the Pack this week.

And is the gym really getting so packed that they are considering cutting off ticket sales? I didn't realize at the last game that it was quite that bad. It was crowded....But I thought i seen some seats here and there available.

Is it me or was this Arby's Classic a little underwhelming in comparison to years past? 

I mean in all honesty, the only decent local team this year is Gate City (tournament wise, and most likely all around, will be determined soon). The teams they brought in for the tournament weren't necessarily great either, by comparison. Last year we had David Crockett pack the stands for every game they appeared in, that shootout between Crockett and Oak Ridge was one of the best ball games I have ever seen at any level. I do believe there has to be a local team that can hang in there against the dogs that they bring in to keep the attendance numbers up. The absolute most crowded the gym was during the tournament was Wings v. GC. After that it was substantially low. I went twice this year, and the experience just wasn't as great as years past. 

Perhaps I am just getting older though, but I recognize good basketball when I see it.

If the competition is around the same next year, and the Gate City team remains intact (I have no insider information, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see #0 and #23 move on to a prep school, Christ school maybe?) I don't see any reason why Gate City couldn't make a deep run or even win the whole thing next year. 

I was thinking Union, Graham, and Richlands would be "local" teams that might give us trouble. Talent wise, we should not lose to any "local" teams. With the exception of the teams I mentioned, we SHOULD be able to almost name the score in most of our local games. 

I don't see Mac or Zac leaving GC. Kids get plenty of exposure through their travel teams. 

Just a rumor I heard about ticket sales. Can't imagine a game "selling out", just passing along what I heard. 

I was thinking Union, Graham, and Richlands would be "local" teams that might give us trouble. Talent wise, we should not lose to any "local" teams. With the exception of the teams I mentioned, we SHOULD be able to almost name the score in most of our local games. 

I don't see Mac or Zac leaving GC. Kids get plenty of exposure through their travel teams. 

Just a rumor I heard about ticket sales. Can't imagine a game "selling out", just passing along what I heard. 

Graham and Union maybe. I haven't watched them, I know what Union has and what they lost. Should be able to handle them every time we play them. I don't know much about Graham at all, and Richlands lost some pretty good players didn't they?

The fact that Mac and Zac have seen the best in the country over the summer and played against top competition leads me to believe that they will have no trouble with anybody around here. 

I don't know if they would leave, like I said I have no idea, just an opinion. They get to play the best of the best throughout the summer, but I don't see how going against better competition and having better coaches throughout the winter would hurt them either.