Lebanon @ Gate City Predictions

RiverRat24

I'll say GC comes out guns blazing and the game is all but over by the the end of the first half. Dean finally gets back on track and has a big game sinking the deep ball. Mac will have his way taking to ball to the rim and Zac will play status quo as well. I think GC ends up winning it by 25 pts with alot of bench guys getting substantial playing time.

Something in the ballpark of: 75-50

Finished up studying. GC on a losing skid? That Arbys tournament must either be Skid Row or GC isn't as strong as advertised. It sounds as if a team were to go a tight man defense on the McClung and Ervin players they may have a chance to win by making the other players beat them. It would be my guess if this Lebanon team or any other team is able to pull this off GC may show some kinks in the armor.

When the Cats lost theit best player, they weren't the same. Whether your best player gets taken out by injury or out of the game through a great defensive effort it still has some effect. Just like our Hokies in Cassell the other day getting the W. I loved being in that environment on Saturday! Grayson Allen did not play though. That's a big difference.

If Lebanon doesn't do this I would guess this GC team by everybody's talk on here of the two teams probably wins by a margin of 108-59.

What if Leb slows it way down - runs a box in one - triangle in two or maybe a line in Three? Remember Gate City has not beaten a Virginia team all year and they are on a 3 game losing streak. So there a chance. JK

Lebanon does like to slow it down against better teams. They did just that last year in the 2nd game against Battle. But it won't matter against GC. The end result will be a W for GC. But Lebanon may score more than you think. GC didn't seem to focus very much on Defense in Bristol last week at all.

What if Leb slows it way down - runs a box in one - triangle in two or maybe a line in Three? Remember Gate City has not beaten a Virginia team all year and they are on a 3 game losing streak. So there a chance. JK

Lebanon does like to slow it down against better teams. They did just that last year in the 2nd game against Battle. But it won't matter against GC. The end result will be a W for GC. But Lebanon may score more than you think. GC didn't seem to focus very much on Defense in Bristol last week at all.

Wasn't it Lebanon and Union a couple of years ago who played to a ridiculously low final score?  Something like 20-18 or something?

I think if Lebanon tries to slow it down too much GC will go to a full court press and try to pressure them into speeding up the game and making some mistakes. If the guys really get after it on Defense they can play some stout D....Theyve just been lazy and lacked some hustle here lately against really good competition.

Could someone rename this thread: "Predictions on How Badly Gate City Will Smoke Lebanon"?

Is that insight on your thoughts to the outcome of this one? I think my 25 pt spread prediction was the most conservative of everyone's so far. But I think GC does so while still getting some other guys into the ball game for substantial minutes. If they played the 6 or 7 man rotation they have been as of lately...It could be a much bigger spread.

I think GC is up by 20-25 at halftime, and the reserves get a lot of time in the second half. Final margin will be around 20. Dean gets back in the groove tonight. He looked nervous at times at Arby's.

Would love to see a team go to a box and 1, or triangle and 2 against us fairly soon. We may see that when we get up the road. Would be good to see it a few times early in the year. For that kind of defense to work, a team will have to have a player that can stop Mac one-on-one. Do not think there is a local player who can do that. Will be very few players in the state who can stop him on offense. Zac also creates some match up problems.

HowTheWestWasWon2017............our schedule at Arby's was a Skid Row......at least the first two games. Honestly not sure there is a Virginia 2A school that would have played them any closer than we did. We really should have beaten the Bahamas team in game 3. Just went cold in the second half. If you have never been to the Arby's, you need to go. Some pretty impressive teams are there. Sounds like you have not seen this GC team play. Not sure where you live, but check the GC schedule and come watch a game.  BTW.........I agree. Great win by the Hokies over Duke....even with Allen out.

RiverRat..........Yep. If Lebanon slows it down, I figure Scotty will turn up the heat. Our team really can play some great D. We have just been hiding it. :) At some point we will need to run some full court presses. Might as well get some practice early in the year.

I really didn't expect Dean to get nervous at the Arbys considering he plays on a team in the NYBL. I guess maybe there's a difference and Arby's is a much bigger stage. It sure looked like he was uncomfortable at times. He's young though... He will come around.

This team has the ability to play the best defense that anyone has seen a GC team play. All the talent and ability in the world is there. I'm not really worried about the defense....I think the guys will get it together. They just need to all play a solid game together. The past few games only one player is playing well at a time instead of 3-4 players playing well at once... Couldn't seem to get on the same page. At least that was my take on it. I'd really like to see the assist numbers tonight around 15-18 for the game and GC double them up on the boards.

GC took Wings Academy (3rd place) to the wire in the opener, took the #1 4A team from Georgia to OT, and lost a game to Tabernacle that was questionable, but nothing to be ashamed of. GC was up by 13 early in the 2nd and took their foot off the gas, which Scotty took full blame in the paper. Tabernacle also beat Crockett by 43 points. I noticed a lot of standing around on the defensive end last Saturday, but that could've been from exhaustion. At least I hope that's what it was.

I noticed a lot of standing around on the defensive end last Saturday, but that could've been from exhaustion. At least I hope that's what it was.

Be careful...apparently teens aren't allowed to be tired after playing 3 games consecutively like that. Or at least that's the sentiment on this board lol. :)

Not only could it be possible that they were a lil tired..... It's also possible after losing the first night and being in the losers bracket that the guys lost a little bit of their edge/interest in fighting for 6th place. Not saying I agree with that attitude it if in fact they did lose interest....But that could have been a factor. Not dismissing the main fact that all 3 teams were very good. Those teams also had the same thing to fight for as GC so it's not an excuse and maybe the other teams didn't have as much interest either. Works both ways.

Be careful...apparently teens aren't allowed to be tired after playing 3 games consecutively like that. Or at least that's the sentiment on this board lol. :)

Va High tournament... Arby's Classic tournament... same style of competition lol! just busting at you a little Ryan4VT. Did Mac/Ervin/Dean leave the floor for GC any in the first 3 games of the Arby's?

I am going to side on the side of somewhat tired maybe more so mentally than physically. Remember these guys do this all summer so 3 games in 3 days is nothing. I bet they play 9 games in 3 days sometimes in summer. 

I don't think so either...I'm just throwing stuff out there that can happen when your dealing with high school kids. I think they just didn't finsh. Some shots werent falling and they squandered momentum and untilmately lost to some really good teams that they should/could have beat. Really about all that can be made of it. Nothing to shame themselves over. Good learning experience that hopefully they use to their benefit as the season progresses.

Im pretty pumped about watching them play in another gym besides Viking Hall tonight. I get tired of that place after a game or two.....Can't pack it in and create an atmosphere like you can at GC or some of the other smaller gyms in the district. (Excluding the Wings Academy game obviously)