Basketball Tournament Scores FEB 2017

trublue

Why would the game not be moved if they both lose? Makes no sense.

I wonder the same. 

All things considered, Richlands should knock off Chatham. GC has a big task in knocking of DR but I think they should. I look for the game to be played at UVAW. Above average crowd there. 

Gotta love the "you lose and still advance" garbage

I understand that, but I can also see the other side of the coin. How would you seed them for the state quarters? You have an 8 team state playoff. You now have 8 teams, but on the West, you have three 1 seeds and one 2 seed. How would you decide who gets to be the 1 seed from the West? 

Quarter finals were added recently again after they "done away" with. VH$L saw they could make some more cash by reinstating the traditional quarterfinals. 

How would you decide now? Quarter finals are now the region semi final games. loser goes home. Winner plays for region championship. Winner of region champion plays other region runner up. 

Example: Richlands beats Chatham and GC beats DR. Robert E Lee beats Bruton and Madison Co beats Amelia Co. Region championship games would be between Richlands/GC and REL/MC. Lets say GC beats Richlands and REL beats mad co. Mad co would travel to GC and Richlands would travel to REL. Winner of those games would play for state championship. 

I do believe this is how it was when the VH$L split into current system a few years ago. Realizing they could add another game to make money they did that. Plus people were complaining due to the "quarter finals" being done away with. 

Hope that makes sense to you all... 

Quarter finals were added recently again after they "done away" with. VH$L saw they could make some more cash by reinstating the traditional quarterfinals. 

How would you decide now? Quarter finals are now the region semi final games. loser goes home. Winner plays for region championship. Winner of region champion plays other region runner up. 

Example: Richlands beats Chatham and GC beats DR. Robert E Lee beats Bruton and Madison Co beats Amelia Co. Region championship games would be between Richlands/GC and REL/MC. Lets say GC beats Richlands and REL beats mad co. Mad co would travel to GC and Richlands would travel to REL. Winner of those games would play for state championship. 

I do believe this is how it was when the VH$L split into current system a few years ago. Realizing they could add another game to make money they did that. Plus people were complaining due to the "quarter finals" being done away with. 

Hope that makes sense to you all... 

But even in that scenario, two teams will lose and play another game. That doesn't satisfy those who hate that a team can lose and still advance. 

But even in that scenario, two teams will lose and play another game. That doesn't satisfy those who hate that a team can lose and still advance.

Hasn't it been like that always though (besides football) back in the old region 1-4/region a-d you could lose the region championship and still win state.

Losing two games in post season is still winning state is mind boggling. One is somewhat comprehensible.

The warriors did blow a 3-1 lead though... lol

At least one of the four teams in the East Region semi's will end their season on a 3 game losing streak.  All four were guaranteed 3 more games with wins in the Region quarters last night.  So far example, if Amelia beats Madison Co Thursday (one loss), Madison would play the loser of R.E. Lee/Bruton in the Region consolation game.  Say they lose that game (2nd loss).  Then they play in the state quarter finals and if they lose that would be 3 in a row.  Something is just wrong with that...IMHO.  Is the West set up the same way?

By the way, I thought East Rock was a lock for a trip to Richmond.  However, Amelia came in and just blew the doors off ER.  ER's "best" player went down early in the year.  When he came back a game ago, the chemistry was spoiled, IMHO.  But as a coach what do you do?  Play with who got you to this point or return your "stud" to the lineup after a long injury?  I think the latter really hurt ER. 

If anyone recalls, a couple of years ago, I said that Madison would be a contender as those youngsters aged.  They are a win away but I think Amelia will be a tough task for them (or anyone else for that matter). Madison probably will not make the finals (lost their 2 big post players to an injury/grades and their shooting guard to a private school) but they have thrived without them.

At least one of the four teams in the East Region semi's will end their season on a 3 game losing streak.  All four were guaranteed 3 more games with wins in the Region quarters last night.  So far example, if Amelia beats Madison Co Thursday (one loss), Madison would play the loser of R.E. Lee/Bruton in the Region consolation game.  Say they lose that game (2nd loss).  Then they play in the state quarter finals and if they lose that would be 3 in a row.  Something is just wrong with that...IMHO.  Is the West set up the same way?

By the way, I thought East Rock was a lock for a trip to Richmond.  However, Amelia came in and just blew the doors off ER.  ER's "best" player went down early in the year.  When he came back a game ago, the chemistry was spoiled, IMHO.  But as a coach what do you do?  Play with who got you to this point or return your "stud" to the lineup after a long injury?  I think the latter really hurt ER. 

If anyone recalls, a couple of years ago, I said that Madison would be a contender as those youngsters aged.  They are a win away but I think Amelia will be a tough task for them (or anyone else for that matter). Madison probably will not make the finals (lost their 2 big post players to an injury/grades and their shooting guard to a private school) but they have thrived without them.

So, you thought East Rock was going to the finals?  You don't go to Richmond this year UNLESS you're in the finals.  2A Quarters and Semis are at JMU.  1A quarters and semis are at Virginia High.

edit:  Although I do think that the 3A quarters and semis are at VCU though.  Could be wrong.

I understand that, but I can also see the other side of the coin. How would you seed them for the state quarters? You have an 8 team state playoff. You now have 8 teams, but on the West, you have three 1 seeds and one 2 seed. How would you decide who gets to be the 1 seed from the West?

Don't let as many teams go to playoffs to start with

Just an absolute joke to lose a playoff game and still be able to be called state champs and best team i, the state

Let's just do this stupid lose and still able to play in football too....maybe we would have more state titles and Powell valley would too...and I'm sure that team(not saying their name lol) on I-81 north from me would have a lot more too

Sorry but I just think it's a joke and a money racket

I was stunned when the wife text me updates on that game this evening. I hadnt seen Honaker play, but seeing their scores I figured this would be the best 1A ladies game of the night. Instead PH/Eastside must have been something to see.

Honaker played the best game that I have seen them play. They are a classic Jekyll and Hyde team. Play really good today play like crap tomorrow.