South @ Gate City

mw0729

1) GC must eliminate turnovers

2) GC play calling must improve

3) GC must score 

If GC can do those 3 things they might be able to compete. South's QB Ethan Ward will probably control the game, he's led SS to 114 points this season, GC has scored 13. If we cannot hold them, we do not have the offense to keep up. 

Crucify me if you wish, just speaking the truth. We had more turnovers vs Graham, Richlands, and Abingdon than we had points. Let that sink in for a minute. 

South struggled with Grainger! I think this is a toss-up. I going to keep picking them till they win. GC 27-21. If GC doesn't win this game they could be off to an 0-5 start.

I don't think so.  Some of those turnovers were due to desperation.  Meaning, the defense forced us into some of those int's by stopping the run, etc.  No question, the games would have been closer and much closer, but when you have the ball 3 and 13 at the opponents 49, and you throw a pick, then sure it's a little bad luck, but again, for a running team, 3 and 13 doesn't bid well and the D has forced us to throw in an uncomfortable situation and instead of us punting and giving the ball to the opponent at their 20 or 15, we give the ball to the opponent at near midfield.  I know, most were unforced or "turnover" but some were true-take aways, and those take-aways were due to our offenses running game being stopped, thus forcing us to throw.  Credit both opponents.  I still believe that if we have no turnovers in either game, we still lose both games, yet much closer scores and both within a TD to 10 points.

3 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

I don't think so.  Some of those turnovers were due to desperation.  Meaning, the defense forced us into some of those int's by stopping the run, etc.  No question, the games would have been closer and much closer, but when you have the ball 3 and 13 at the opponents 49, and you throw a pick, then sure it's a little bad luck, but again, for a running team, 3 and 13 doesn't bid well and the D has forced us to throw in an uncomfortable situation and instead of us punting and giving the ball to the opponent at their 20 or 15, we give the ball to the opponent at near midfield.  I know, most were unforced or "turnover" but some were true-take aways, and those take-aways were due to our offenses running game being stopped, thus forcing us to throw.  Credit both opponents.  I still believe that if we have no turnovers in either game, we still lose both games, yet much closer scores and both within a TD to 10 points.

The Richlands game may have been a loss either way but the Abingdon game wasn't turnovers due to desperation. That one in my opinion would have come down to the end if not for all the fumbles. 

If GC is going to right the ship for the season, it needs to start today.

Keys to victory:

Coach Akers needs to quit fooling nobody but himself with play calls.

GC offense needs to hang on to the football.

Calhoun needs 30+ carries. (He avg 6 yards a carry last week. The bad part? HE ONLY GOT 10 TOUCHES!!!) LET THE HORSE RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Defense just needs to keep people under 30 like they have and keep their fingers crossed the offense will wake up!

5 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Larry, kind of off topic, but you're probably the realest guy in the room when it comes to Gate City football, so let me ask you this.  If Gate City and Ridgeview played today, who would be your pick?

I would have to say Ridgeview. Until GC proves they can hang on to the ball and put points on the board consistently, its hard to pick my boys. 

Prediction:   Same ol stuff with Gate City.  NO OFFENSE and a turnover or two will provide Vermillion with a chance.  His play will be better leading to next weeks talk of who starts at QB?