GC @ Ridgeview

Grapeape

2 hours ago, mw0729 said:

This is just comical especially coming from YOU!  Unless you issue the past coaches cell phones so you can secretly read their text how would you know (1) they are texting and (2) that the texts somehow are toxic. It could be called encouragement!!!!  And what is wrong with hugging the kids after a game?  You have no idea what relationships these coaches build with their players. Hell I still keep in touch with my coaches. And as far as the past head coach not coming to the games;  would you after being crapped on like he was?  You just have to much pride to admit you made a bad hire.  Rant over!

(1) I personally know players who have received the text thank you.(2) It must not have been too strong of a relationship because they quit coaching. As far as  being crapped on I guess 30000 a year to coach football is just a plain awful way to treat someone. You know nothing about me so don't act like you do.

2 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

"Stupid ingrates."  This would be hyperbole and your words, not mine.  You gave "Doug" time in my opinion because a significant portion of your fans or one's with a loud voice allowed it to happen, and that was not being very smart compared to "classy program."  We disagree on the matter. Just you like you feel GC is showing lack of class by wanting a change, I respect it, but disagree.  We are very classy, but smarter, and we have been better because of those smarts.

GC's future is fine.  Interest in little leagues is down BECAUSE of the AD and coach.  We have had little leagues struggle before and our junior high has struggled some, only to do very well at the High School level. GC is loaded with talent and trust me, there is talent walking the halls of GC at both the junior high and high school levels.  With that written, could we have a drought?  Sure we could.  All programs experience such.  We disagree a bit on the long, painful and protracted part. 

Yes talent is walking the halls, unfortunately they are excelling in other sports to the point their families have decided their focus should be narrowed. McClung is undoubtedly the best athlete in the school. It doesn't matter who the HC is the kid ain't playing football. I know I know, kids have always played multiple sports. Well not anymore. Take McClung or some of the other basketball boys- if they think they can get scholarships on basketball do you really think their parents are putting them on the football field? Imagine the FB team with the basketball starters. Different team. 

6 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

You lost me again, respectfully I do write, but you lost me with the hyperbole used yet again with "parting the Red Sea."<--------hyperbole usually means "emotion" before rational thought, and I don't debate or argue with these types as it's often pointless.  As for us not being good this year......... "ya don't say?"  Of course we aren't good, but your argument is one with the premise of being not good is strictly talent based with very few other factors.  That premise is false.  The talent is there at GC.  It's in the hallways.  That talent is in the hallways BECAUSE of the AD and Head Coach.  Because of these factors described which are root causes, you can then get to your point about us "not being good this year."  Your statement is true, but it's only half true.  There's a reason why we aren't good, and if you think it's lack of talent, then well, I disagree and gave reasons why.

I am not surprised. Keep deflecting the real problem and focus on the small issues within a post. 

FYI NO ONE on the basketball team would have came out to play this year. That would be silly on their part. Sure "talent" walks the halls but they are choosing not to play. No one wants that on their team if they are not 100% in

5 hours ago, wasp90 said:

(1) I personally know players who have received the text thank you.(2) It must not have been too strong of a relationship because they quit coaching. As far as  being crapped on I guess 30000 a year to coach football is just a plain awful way to treat someone. You know nothing about me so don't act like you do.

This number is idiotic and completely inaccurate, like everything else you post.  Please make some token effort to fact check yourself; I'm embarrassed for you. 

From Scott County Schools website

HC - $5,010

1st Assistant - $3,940

Assistant Coach - $3,300

That's for a minimum 40 extra hours of work per week. Many of Bill Houseright's assistants worked for a half stipend. Educate yourself.

26 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

This number is idiotic and completely inaccurate, like everything else you post.  Please make some token effort to fact check yourself; I'm embarrassed for you. 

HC - $5,010

1st Assistant - $3,940

Assistant Coach - $3,300

That's for a minimum 40 extra hours of work per week. Many of Bill Houseright's assistants worked for a half stipend. Educate yourself.

Doesn't booster clubs sometimes pay stipends to coaches? 

20 minutes ago, Dick_Vitale said:

Doesn't booster clubs sometimes pay stipends to coaches? 

Not that I'm aware. Certainly nothing approaching $30k... As I've stated previously, there have been no infrastructure improvements since 1997. Many of the plates, bars, and dumbbells in the weight room were purchased in the 80s. The blocking sled is 30 years old. The training room supplies are a farce. The majority of Houseright's staff were men that worked for a living and basically volunteered, earning around $0.25/hour for their time. 

4 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

Not that I'm aware. Certainly nothing approaching $30k... As I've stated previously, there have been no infrastructure improvements since 1997. Many of the plates, bars, and dumbbells in the weight room were purchased in the 80s. The blocking sled is 30 years old. The training room supplies are a farce. The majority of Houseright's staff were men that worked for a living and basically volunteered, earning around $0.25/hour for their time. 

I was speaking more in general. I know of a few booster clubs in SWVA that pay "volunteer" coaches a stipend that is equal to what the county pays its assistants. 

As far as the "may 25 cents an hour" comment, welcome to coaching. That is a given and a dumb excuse to say they worked harder than coaches today. Kids are different everywhere, not just at GC and SWVA. Not entirely their faults since parenting is much to blame but we won't get into that. Sure it is nice to have nice things but if the item is still serving its purpose but does not look shiny then who cares? I feel like 25 pounds back in 1980 is the same as 25 pounds today in 2017 so no need to upgrade weightlifting equipment. 

32 minutes ago, Dick_Vitale said:

I was speaking more in general. I know of a few booster clubs in SWVA that pay "volunteer" coaches a stipend that is equal to what the county pays its assistants. 

As far as the "may 25 cents an hour" comment, welcome to coaching. That is a given and a dumb excuse to say they worked harder than coaches today. Kids are different everywhere, not just at GC and SWVA. Not entirely their faults since parenting is much to blame but we won't get into that. Sure it is nice to have nice things but if the item is still serving its purpose but does not look shiny then who cares? I feel like 25 pounds back in 1980 is the same as 25 pounds today in 2017 so no need to upgrade weightlifting equipment. 

1. Never said anything about coaches from past seasons working harder than coaches today. Perhaps you have reading comprehension issues.

2. This statement is simply too dumb to warrant a reply.

9 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

1. Never said anything about coaches from past seasons working harder than coaches today. Perhaps you have reading comprehension issues.

2. This statement is simply too dumb to warrant a reply.

I guess you want to ignore your comment "The majority of Houseright's staff were men that worked for a living and basically volunteered, earning around $0.25/hour for their time." insinuating that they worked for basically nothing to be successful. 

I believe the only true comprehension problems you have is the fact you cannot comprehend that you all aren't very good. you blame the AD/HC when, besides culture, they cannot control. 

With that said, if Akers has lost control and kids are "running wild" on the sidelines then I agree he needs to get on that.

1 hour ago, Grapeape said:

HC - $5,010

1st Assistant - $3,940

Assistant Coach - $3,300

This coming from a guy that post lies all the time. I will bet you any amount of money you want to bet about the salary and then meet you at the school board any time to settle it smart guy. You telling me to fact check myself is pot calling kettle black! Especially since you posted stuff about the AD that proved false. Let me know when you want to meet.

18 minutes ago, wasp90 said:

This coming from a guy that post lies all the time. I will bet you any amount of money you want to bet about the salary and then meet you at the school board any time to settle it smart guy. You telling me to fact check myself is pot calling kettle black! Especially since you posted stuff about the AD that proved false. Let me know when you want to meet.

I used this thing called Google and typed "Scott County Schools Pay Scale" in the search box, then pressed enter. Pretty straightforward.

Edited by Grapeape

34 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

You're right, Dick. How silly of me to insinuate that the HC has any time of influence on the success of the team he coaches. 

In two months... That is a stretch. To say it is not possible is a lie but this guy is finally settling into his new job, both at school and coaching. 

34 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

I used this thing called Google and typed "Scott County Schools Pay Scale" in the search box, then pressed enter. Pretty straightforward.

We all know there were no side deals in the Jim Scott era. Still waiting on that bet smart guy.

Graham Clark would laugh at you if you offered him that small amount of money to coach, he gets three times that amount and a new car every two years and over the last several years his just a tad over .500

5 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

So, about this game Friday night... who from Scott County is making the drive over to the ridge?  Would love to say a friendly hello to you folks at the least.

Very nice segway.  And you are right, there is a football game Friday.  People should be getting anxious to see.

So, it's 3 hours till kickoff... and I don't know why, but all of a sudden, I have a bad feeling about this game.  Not sure why.  Hope I am wrong, but just feel like Gate City is going to come to play tonight.  It's almost like last year when I had the total opposite feeling going into the Grundy game... everyone thought we were going to get rolled, but I had a feeling we were going to win and we did.  Either way, looking forward to the game and hoping to see some of you folks there.