First round Playoff updates

rvtne216

Just now, Hokiebird7 said:

Region C D1 is pretty Damn bad too

Narrows and Galax would beat any team in Region 1D by 3 TDs.  

I’ve posted in the past about my “contender-good-mediocre-doormat” paradigm for HS football.  Region 1D has zero contenders, 1 good team (Chilhowie), and the rest fall into the mediocre or doormat categories.  Region 1C has 1 contender (Galax), and one team on the higher side of good (Narrows).  I would also put GW, Covington, and PM into the “good” category.  There’s at least something resembling quality in 1C...

2 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I’ve posted in the past about my “contender-good-mediocre-doormat” paradigm for HS football.  Region 1D has zero contenders, 1 good team (Chilhowie), and the rest fall into the mediocre or doormat categories.  Region 1C has 1 contender (Galax), and one team on the higher side of good (Narrows).  I would also put GW, Covington, and PM into the “good” category.  There’s at least something resembling quality in 1C...

Too bad we won't get to see the game but if you're giving me chilhowie vs. narrows at -21 I'm clearing my bank account for that bet 

17 minutes ago, 02GW12 said:

Galax and Chilhowie will both skip to the semifinals. Region D is probably the worst region in all of VA 1-6A.

I would love to see Chilhowie or Narrows bring home a title, but 1A may be worse than 2A regarding 1 team and separation.  Riverheads is likely 35 points better than the next closest 1A team this year, at least by 28 points.  They are more likely to win it (even more) compared to Appomattox.  If a team like Chilhowie were to run into Riverheads, the clock-keeper needs to get ready in the early 3rd qtr.  It would be that bad, but it's not just Chilhowie.  Follow their scores, as it doesn't matter if it's one of the fast teams from the coast like Essex or Sussex in the semi's or a team back this way in the finals, it's not going to be close.  

8 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Too bad we won't get to see the game but if you're giving me chilhowie vs. narrows at -21 I'm clearing my bank account for that bet 

I just about made a caveat for Chilhowie/Narrows and decided against it at the last moment.  You’re probably right when it comes down to it but I believe the potential is there.  And who knows, it could well happen if Galax doesn’t bring a quality game to the banks of the New River in 2 weeks.

9 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

I would love to see Chilhowie or Narrows bring home a title, but 1A may be worse than 2A regarding 1 team and separation.  Riverheads is likely 35 points better than the next closest 1A team this year, at least by 28 points.  They are more likely to win it (even more) compared to Appomattox.  If a team like Chilhowie were to run into Riverheads, the clock-keeper needs to get ready in the early 3rd qtr.  It would be that bad, but it's not just Chilhowie.  Follow their scores, as it doesn't matter if it's one of the fast teams from the coast like Essex or Sussex in the semi's or a team back this way in the finals, it's not going to be close.  

I’d be highly shocked if Riverheads loses.  Yes, I know they’re 8-2, but those two losses are to darned good higher classification squads.

17 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Not saying they aren't better than 1D but PM GW and Covington aren't "good" at all

3 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Not saying they aren't better than 1D but PM GW and Covington aren't "good" at all

They’re good teams, and even if we disagree, they’re better than anything below Chilhowie on the 1D side (lest we forget the Chilhowie/GW game from Week 3).  They’ll not come close to sniffing a state title, but they’re quality teams for their level and classification.  

Just now, UVAObserver said:

They’re good teams, and even if we disagree, they’re better than anything below Chilhowie on the 1D side (lest you forget the Chilhowie/GW game from Week 3).  They’ll not come close to sniffing a state title, but they’re quality teams for their level and classification.  

I'll take your word on that cause I don't know much about 1D to be honest

20 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I just about made a caveat for Chilhowie/Narrows and decided against it at the last moment.  You’re probably right when it comes down to it but I believe the potential is there.  And who knows, it could well happen if Galax doesn’t bring a quality game to the banks of the New River in 2 weeks.

I doubt it would've happened, but if the rumors of Dougie Peoples being out for the rest of the playoffs is true then Narrows has a chance to make it happen.

If Dougie is out for the remainder of the postseason, the rest of 1A football is going to get very familiar with Keaton Beamon. That’s not going to be pleasant for anyone not named Riverheads!

I said in the Grayson Ridgeview thread a few days ago, Grayson has improved as much as anyone I have seen over the course of a season. And they are still a young team! 

14 hours ago, JDHoss said:

Vero Beach 42

Orlando Olympia 7

Hafltime

Vero is really good. 10 -0 and they went to Chesapeake and beat Oscar Smith earlier this year. There's a lot to be said for watching playoff football in Florida. It's 74 degrees and I'm wearing shorts and sandals.

Our broadcast station for Blacksburg football is outdoors. I was in shorts last night. It has to be below 25 before I even think about pants. 

14 hours ago, EH31 said:

Johnson can't hang onto the ball. Put it on the ground 3 times 

This. If he is fumbling at that rate, I wouldn’t run him either. 

14 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

43-yarder by a HS kicker to tie a game in the playoffs?  He better have nerves of steel.  That’s way too risky.  Safer to throw an out to the sideline on 4th and try a closer kick.

He’s hit from longer this season, and in good conditions, I could see him hit from 50. And he’s just a sophomore. 

14 hours ago, BigO said:

Exactly.  Was he a good kicker that "should have" made it?  Or was it a long shot for him?

Yep. Should have made it. It looked like it was gonna be close to the right upright had it not been tipped at the line.