Galax vs Graham

Gridiron60

10 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Well, both scores were on the subs in the last 2 minutes, but they did run the ball at will.

It wasn't even subs. It was literally the JV not that it really matters. Graham also had two Bland players transfer. Don't really know much about them or their abilities or if they'll even see playing time but I saw Coach Hayes (Bland HC) there supporting them. I'm glad those boys got a taste of winning. Hopefully, GW only scores at will on the JV 😂😂😂😂. Actually, I hope it's a good competitive game. 

56 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

It wasn't even subs. It was literally the JV not that it really matters. Graham also had two Bland players transfer. Don't really know much about them or their abilities or if they'll even see playing time but I saw Coach Hayes (Bland HC) there supporting them. I'm glad those boys got a taste of winning. Hopefully, GW only scores at will on the JV 😂😂😂😂. Actually, I hope it's a good competitive game. 

Galax backup running back scored on Graham's backups, does it really matter? Y'all won the game, everyone that was there knows Graham was better. Both teams have some work to do if they want to make a run in my opinion. After all I read on here I didn't think Graham would have to pass as much as they did but everyone knows Galax weakness on defense is the secondary. Galax passing game still nonexistent but at least they completed a few last night. Of the three class two teams I've seen this year that were picked to make some noise come playoff time( Glenvar, Radford, Graham ) Radford was the most impressive talent wise but Graham is still solid and better coached in my opinion and I hope these two meet in the playoffs. I think Graham can definitely run the ball on Radford but I don't see them passing like they did against Galax on them, not saying they will not complete passes but it will be tougher to do so. If you give Radford's QB time he is going to complete some big pass plays. Intriguing matchup if it happens.

7 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

Galax backup running back scored on Graham's backups, does it really matter? Y'all won the game, everyone that was there knows Graham was better. Both teams have some work to do if they want to make a run in my opinion. After all I read on here I didn't think Graham would have to pass as much as they did but everyone knows Galax weakness on defense is the secondary. Galax passing game still nonexistent but at least they completed a few last night. Of the three class two teams I've seen this year that were picked to make some noise come playoff time( Glenvar, Radford, Graham ) Radford was the most impressive talent wise but Graham is still solid and better coached in my opinion and I hope these two meet in the playoffs. I think Graham can definitely run the ball on Radford but I don't see them passing like they did against Galax on them, not saying they will not complete passes but it will be tougher to do so. If you give Radford's QB time he is going to complete some big pass plays. Intriguing matchup if it happens.

Kudos to Galax too! I think you played well. You’re one guy Tucker I think is his name, a workhorse. You’re O line is strong too! I’m no coach but I’d say the best line we’ve played. 

9 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Close games build character, especially if you come out with the "w".

7 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Kudos to Galax too! I think you played well. You’re one guy Tucker I think is his name, a workhorse. You’re O line is strong too! I’m no coach but I’d say the best line we’ve played. 

For sure, the best O-Line that Graham has faced thus far.  Graham seems to always struggle against Galax's running game.  It looks like Shane Allen is keeping the same type of blocking schemes that Dixon was so good at.  Graham has been bending, but not breaking against the run over the last couple of weeks.  Hopefully, they will get that shored up.  Seems like their linebackers play too close to the line and get caught up in all the traffic.  But, what do I know.  Galax blocks very well and has for several years now.

For two weeks in a row, Graham has been a more balanced team then their opponents.  If Graham wasn't able to pass the ball effectively, they very well could have lost both of these last 2 weeks.  I was definitely impressed with the RB from Galax, he was a bruiser.

Special teams needs to pick it up for Graham.  They are giving up too many big returns and twice on kickoffs last night, they looked like they didn't want to pick up the ball.  Not sure what was going on there.  That will be the difference between a win and a loss in a big tame.

8 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Special teams needs to pick it up for Graham.  They are giving up too many big returns and twice on kickoffs last night, they looked like they didn't want to pick up the ball.  Not sure what was going on there.  That will be the difference between a win and a loss in a big tame.

Our special teams slightly improved over last week but they’re still on the struggle bus so to speak. I’m not sure why they’re lining up four on one side, six on the other. It’s not working out very well IMO. At this point if they can’t  make significant improvements, I’d kick it as far as I could out of bounds & eat the five yard penalty, probably not a popular opinion but we’re not stopping the return very effectively and it could cost us in a tight game. 

Graham came up with the win but have some work to do. Galax was able to run up the middle and push our line back. Linebacker play needs to improve tremendously. Two games in a row that they’ve struggled and allowed yardage up the middle. Didn’t see that get corrected from last week. Still several trying to tackle up high 

17 minutes ago, FootballFan77 said:

Graham came up with the win but have some work to do. Galax was able to run up the middle and push our line back. Linebacker play needs to improve tremendously. Two games in a row that they’ve struggled and allowed yardage up the middle. Didn’t see that get corrected from last week. Still several trying to tackle up high 

I agree with this assessment.  The play of the linebackers needs to improve for Graham.  They have talent at those positions, but they always have their linebackers up close to the line and tend to be overly aggressive at times. Sometimes they need to stay put and read and react.  The RB's on the other teams are getting around that initial surge and the DB's are having to make too many tackles.  

12 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I agree with this assessment.  The play of the linebackers needs to improve for Graham.  They have talent at those positions, but they always have their linebackers up close to the line and tend to be overly aggressive at times. Sometimes they need to stay put and read and react.  The RB's on the other teams are getting around that initial surge and the DB's are having to make too many tackles.  

Just wandering your thoughts..... Does Graham play a 3-4 or 5-2. Are you referring to inside backers, outside backers or all the above? 

19 minutes ago, Gmen2021 said:

Just wandering your thoughts..... Does Graham play a 3-4 or 5-2. Are you referring to inside backers, outside backers or all the above? 

Seems like they have done this with their linebackers for decades, they bring them up close to the line of scrimmage and it hurts them against teams like Giles and Galax (over the years).  Been watching Graham play for 48 years now.  Doesn't matter what the scheme, they tend to play the LB's close to the line of scrimmage a lot and that can hurt against those types of teams, when their linebackers get caught up in traffic and over-pursue.  I'm no expert by any means, just something that seems to happen a lot.  Just the average Saturday morning Couch QB.

1 minute ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Seems like they have done this with their linebackers for decades, they bring them up close to the line of scrimmage and it hurts them against teams like Giles and Galax (over the years).  Been watching Graham play for 48 years now.  Doesn't matter what the scheme, they tend to play the LB's close to the line of scrimmage a lot and that can hurt against those types of teams, when their linebackers get caught up in traffic and over-pursue.

So are you saying the scheme needs to improve? The kids are being trashed on here , so looking for clarity. 

2 minutes ago, Gmen2021 said:

So are you saying the scheme needs to improve? The kids are being trashed on here , so looking for clarity. 

How are kids being trashed?   It's certainly not by me.  Please don't even go there. When I say it looks like they tend to be up close to the line of scrimmage.  I'm talking about over the decades, this is how Graham has played.  I actually think they will have more success against teams that don't run these type of blocking schemes.  

Just now, Real Sasquatch said:

How are kids being trashed, when I say it looks like they tend to be up close to the line of scrimmage.  I'm talking about over the decades, this is how Graham has played.  I actually think they will have more success against teams that don't run these type of blocking schemes.  Do not accuse me of trashing kids on here, sir.  

Not accusing you Sir. Maybe I took your quote out of context. You wrote

3 minutes ago, Gmen2021 said:

Not accusing you Sir. Maybe I took your quote out of context. You wrote

I was totally talking about scheme.  I actually went back and changed my post that you quoted to be more clear about it.  I have had my own children trashed before and in the stands where I could hear it in person.  I would never trash another kid.  I just like to talk football.  Key words in what you quoted was "they always have their linebackers up close to the line".  Again, based on decades of watching Graham play.

5 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

How are kids being trashed?   It's certainly not by me.  Please don't even go there. When I say it looks like they tend to be up close to the line of scrimmage.  I'm talking about over the decades, this is how Graham has played.  I actually think they will have more success against teams that don't run these type of blocking schemes.  

Everyone is a little sensitive definitely got a couple Soap watchers here 

Just now, Real Sasquatch said:

I was totally talking about scheme.  I actually went back and changed my post that you quoted to be more clear about it.  I have had my own children trashed before and in the stands where I could hear it in person.  I would never trash another kid.  I just like to talk football.

My mistake sir. Certainly wasn't try to start a rhubarb on here. I tried to preface scheme by design. I know the radio calls Graham's  outside LB's , defensive ends(which is bizarre) . 

1 minute ago, Mountain Football said:

I think he is referring to the inside backers playing too close to the D line. 

I think wedge blocking always lends itself to inside backer gap control or lack thereof, but its pretty hard to stop if the offense is content with 3-4 yards and clock. The problem is when that team falls behind, it fails miserably. Just my opinion. I appreciate the responses though. 

5 minutes ago, Gmen2021 said:

My mistake sir. Certainly wasn't try to start a rhubarb on here. I tried to preface scheme by design. I know the radio calls Graham's  outside LB's , defensive ends(which is bizarre) . 

No hard feelings at all.  Just didn't want you to think that I would trash anybody's kids, I certainly don't want to sound abrasive, just making sure that you have no ill will towards what I said.  I have 2 kids of my own, one who had some mighty struggles as a child and another who has been injured pretty badly a couple of times playing sports.  I have heard people talk trash in the stands about my kids.  Trust me, I wouldn't want to do that to somebody else's child.  It does happen on here and I just wanted to clarify.  You are one of my favorite posters, don't want any ill feelings.

1 minute ago, Real Sasquatch said:

No hard feelings at all.  Just didn't want you to think that I would trash anybody's kids, I certainly don't want to sound abrasive, just making sure that you have no ill will towards what I said.  I have 2 kids of my own, one who had some mighty struggles as a child and another who has been injured pretty badly a couple of times playing sports.  I have heard people talk trash in the stands.  Trust me, I wouldn't want to do that to somebody else's child.  It does happen on here and I just wanted to clarify.  You are one of my favorite posters, don't want any ill feelings.

Thank you sir! I too, dont like trashing kids. I'm hard enough on my own without anybody's help. lol

I think everyone needs to remember they are all kids, they all have their moments. 

I could be mistaken but I think Galax runs a bit of a different offense than other teams that Graham plays. Someone with more knowledge might can speak to that. But their O Line definitely bent ours but not enough to cost us scores. I still think they’re the best O Line we’ve faced and they have a workhorse. Reminds me of Zach Blevins, has several hanging on and drags them to get two or three more yards. I know that kid had to be getting tired.