Power points

MT FAN 91

If the teams win that should. If Galax wins Friday night they will be 1, GW 2, Narrows 3 and Grayson 4. If Grayson win I have GW 1, Grayson 2, Galax 3 and Narrows 4. Has anyone else run the numbers to tell me if that's correct?

36 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Why would you do one as a forfeit and the other as a no contest? Just curious

Giles right now has 113 points not counting the Auburn game which is an average of just over 16 points per game.  Giles would get 16 points for beating Auburn and 2 points for each game Auburn won (if Bland's forfeit to Auburn counted) that would be 18 points for Giles for the Auburn game if Giles took the forfeit.  That's 2 points above Giles' average per game, so Giles is better served by taking the forfeit.

No contest- you take a no contest if you have a high power ranking like Galax does.  Galax has 165 total points right now, so there per game average is higher than the 18 points they would get for taking a forfeit over Auburn, so they choose to take the no contest because taking a forfeit would actually drop them in power ranking, but taking the no contest keeps their current power ranking by dividing by one less number.  They come out better this way.

In summary- if you have a higher power ranking, you will generally take the no contest because your power ranking comes out the same or better if the team that cancelled offers little to nothing (Auburn) compared to possibly taking the forfeit, if you have a lower power ranking like Giles and having any kind of win would raise your ranking.  For Giles, we are better off taking a forfeit against Auburn IF.....IF....Bland's forfeit or no contest to Auburn earlier in the year gives us an extra 2 points for an Auburn win.  If it does not count for 2 points, then we are better off taking a no contest to Auburn.

Another Example....You get 16 pts for beating a Class 1 team and 2 pts for each team that the Class 1 team you beat wins over.  I don't know if Auburn's forfeit or no contest win over Bland earlier counts for 2 pts for Auburn's opponents.  Lets say it does.  So for Giles, we average right now about 16 pts per game in ranking (our power ranking).  If we get 18 for taking a forfeit over Auburn, it raises our current ranking some, so we take the forfeit.  If the Auburn over Bland win doesn't count for 2 pts for us, then we get 16 for beating Auburn, but our current power ranking is slightly above 16, so its' better to take the no contest so we basically divide by one less game and keep the same ranking.

Galax- 20 pts per game (approximately right now) power ranking.  Galax has a no brainer here.  They take the no contest and keep their same ranking.  If they were to take the forfeit, they are only getting 16 or 18 pts for beating Auburn which is 2 to 4 pts Less than their average of about 20 per game, so they hurt themselves.

28 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Giles right now has 113 points not counting the Auburn game which is an average of just over 16 points per game.  Giles would get 16 points for beating Auburn and 2 points for each game Auburn won (if Bland's forfeit to Auburn counted) that would be 18 points for Giles for the Auburn game if Giles took the forfeit.  That's 2 points above Giles' average per game, so Giles is better served by taking the forfeit.

No contest- you take a no contest if you have a high power ranking like Galax does.  Galax has 165 total points right now, so there per game average is higher than the 18 points they would get for taking a forfeit over Auburn, so they choose to take the no contest because taking a forfeit would actually drop them in power ranking, but taking the no contest keeps their current power ranking by dividing by one less number.  They come out better this way.

In summary- if you have a higher power ranking, you will generally take the no contest because your power ranking comes out the same or better if the team that cancelled offers little to nothing (Auburn) compared to possibly taking the forfeit, if you have a lower power ranking like Giles and having any kind of win would raise your ranking.  For Giles, we are better off taking a forfeit against Auburn IF.....IF....Bland's forfeit or no contest to Auburn earlier in the year gives us an extra 2 points for an Auburn win.  If it does not count for 2 points, then we are better off taking a no contest to Auburn.

Another Example....You get 16 pts for beating a Class 1 team and 2 pts for each team that the Class 1 team you beat wins over.  I don't know if Auburn's forfeit or no contest win over Bland earlier counts for 2 pts for Auburn's opponents.  Lets say it does.  So for Giles, we average right now about 16 pts per game in ranking (our power ranking).  If we get 18 for taking a forfeit over Auburn, it raises our current ranking some, so we take the forfeit.  If the Auburn over Bland win doesn't count for 2 pts for us, then we get 16 for beating Auburn, but our current power ranking is slightly above 16, so its' better to take the no contest so we basically divide by one less game and keep the same ranking.

Galax- 20 pts per game (approximately right now) power ranking.  Galax has a no brainer here.  They take the no contest and keep their same ranking.  If they were to take the forfeit, they are only getting 16 or 18 pts for beating Auburn which is 2 to 4 pts Less than their average of about 20 per game, so they hurt themselves.

Still didn't answer my question to swva boy

19 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Still didn't answer my question to swva boy

Narrows=Smart move if this is what they did.  Narrows average points per game is 18.62.  Craig County has 2 wins, so Narrows gets 16 pts for the win plus 2 pts for each Craig County win, so all in all for Craig County, Narrows gets 20 total points which is Above their 18.62 average, so if you are Narrows, you take the forfeit.

Bland County- zero wins, so Narrows only gets 16 pts for Bland if Narrows were to take the forfeit which is Hurtful to Narrows overall power ranking because Narrows averages 18.62 per game, so this would lower Narrows power ranking by taking the forfeit with Bland.  Instead, Narrows takes the no contest here and their power ranking doesn't decrease or increase, it stays the same, but that's better than it dropping.

Narrows (pains me to say this) did it exactly the right way by taking Bland as a no contest and taking Craig as a forfeit.  They maximized their power rating as much as possible by doing it the way they did.

This rule applies to any team debating on whether they take the forfeit or take the no contest.

1. For the team that gets canceled on, what is their current power ranking?  Let's say it's 20 just for an example. 

2. For the team that cancels on you, how many points do you get if you were to take the forfeit (the same as beating them on the field).

3. If the team that cancels would give you more than 20 pts, you take the forfeit because you slightly raise your power ranking.  If the team that cancels gives you less than 20 points, you take the no contest so your power rating stays the same and isn't lowered.

17 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Narrows=Smart move if this is what they did.  Narrows average points per game is 18.62.  Craig County has 2 wins, so Narrows gets 16 pts for the win plus 2 pts for each Craig County win, so all in all for Craig County, Narrows gets 20 total points which is Above their 18.62 average, so if you are Narrows, you take the forfeit.

Bland County- zero wins, so Narrows only gets 16 pts for Bland if Narrows were to take the forfeit which is Hurtful to Narrows overall power ranking because Narrows averages 18.62 per game, so this would lower Narrows power ranking by taking the forfeit with Bland.  Instead, Narrows takes the no contest here and their power ranking doesn't decrease or increase, it stays the same, but that's better than it dropping.

Narrows (pains me to say this) did it exactly the right way by taking Bland as a no contest and taking Craig as a forfeit.  They maximized their power rating as much as possible by doing it the way they did.

Ok thanks for answering it...even if it took 2 messages and 400 paragraphs lol

29 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Ok thanks for answering it...even if it took 2 messages and 400 paragraphs lol

How do you think I passed High School and College?  Overwhelm the instructor with meaningless data and info with just an ounce of useful information to where they become fatigued and just write "B" or "C+"on your paper.  

Playing around with some numbers it looks to me like Rural Retreat may need help even with a win over Lebanon to jump the Pioneers.  I think 30 points is about all they will add Friday with a win and other rider points.  Good chance they need Fort Chiswell to beat Honaker to have a shot to jump Lebanon even with a win.

6 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Playing around with some numbers it looks to me like Rural Retreat may need help even with a win over Lebanon to jump the Pioneers.  I think 30 points is about all they will add Friday with a win and other rider points.  Good chance they need Fort Chiswell to beat Honaker to have a shot to jump Lebanon even with a win.

Thats not going to happen.

15 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

This rule applies to any team debating on whether they take the forfeit or take the no contest.

1. For the team that gets canceled on, what is their current power ranking?  Let's say it's 20 just for an example. 

2. For the team that cancels on you, how many points do you get if you were to take the forfeit (the same as beating them on the field).

3. If the team that cancels would give you more than 20 pts, you take the forfeit because you slightly raise your power ranking.  If the team that cancels gives you less than 20 points, you take the no contest so your power rating stays the same and isn't lowered.

What if Narrows wins Friday night which they should and their ranking goes above 20. After looking at the numbers it can't go much high if if even get to 20.  Then they would not want to take the forfeit. Right?

8 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

I had Narrows at 19.6667 with the win but I might have figured it wrong.

Wasn't sure what it would bring Narrows to. Just thinking if it put them over 20 then you probably wouldn't want the forfeit. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Hokie Bound said:

Wasn't sure what it would bring Narrows to. Just thinking if it put them over 20 then you probably wouldn't want the forfeit. Thanks.

Correct. I have heard you have to declare it at the time also.  I am not 100% certain this is true, but this is what I've been told.  So, much of this stuff is determined.  Whether Narrows is 19 right now or 22 if they win Friday night, both numbers are higher than the 18 total points they would get from Craig cancelling out if taking a forfeit, so obviously they take a no contest to keep their power ranking untouched, otherwise, it can only go down by taking a forfeit.