Are benefit games real games?

KW23

They're legit games but usually the coaches have a gentlemen's agreement to play backups at some point in the game to avoid injuries (just ask Richlands fans about Gray Baker)

Kicking game usually depends on the what the coaches agree on before the game. Most of the time it’s not live. IMO not a waste of time it’s a great opportunity to find much needed depth without anything on the line. Unless you have 60 plus which is almost unheard of the benefit game is the best look you will get before the real deal. I have seen games in the past where both teams keep their starters in until the end of the game trying to win the dang thing. 

22 hours ago, V-Cats said:

They're legit games but usually the coaches have a gentlemen's agreement to play backups at some point in the game to avoid injuries (just ask Richlands fans about Gray Baker)

Not just him. I can think of 3 or 4 guys we lost in benefits with Honaker (not blaming Honaker, that’s just who the benefit was). 

It gives some real game simulations type scenarios.  Other than that I don't even go to them as they don't count for anything.  Ash Chilhowie or Tazewell about the meaning of winning.  Several years ago we beat them and finished regular season 0-10.  Last year the favor was returned with us losing the benefit game against them and they went 0-10.

11 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Not just him. I can think of 3 or 4 guys we lost in benefits with Honaker (not blaming Honaker, that’s just who the benefit was). 

On 8/6/2023 at 1:14 AM, V-Cats said:

Gentleman's agreement or not, Baker's injury was a fluky non-contact one. Yes, it happened in the benefit game but he literally was rolling out of the pocket and the ACL tore. One of the weirdest things I have witnessed in my life

1 hour ago, rvtne216 said:

Gentleman's agreement or not, Baker's injury was a fluky non-contact one. Yes, it happened in the benefit game but he literally was rolling out of the pocket and the ACL tore. One of the weirdest things I have witnessed in my life

The ole non contact injuries always turn out to be the worst 

20 hours ago, Jags52 said:

Kicking game usually depends on the what the coaches agree on before the game. Most of the time it’s not live. IMO not a waste of time it’s a great opportunity to find much needed depth without anything on the line. Unless you have 60 plus which is almost unheard of the benefit game is the best look you will get before the real deal. I have seen games in the past where both teams keep their starters in until the end of the game trying to win the dang thing. 

Yes, Keeping starters in until half or even the end of the 3rd quarter is pretty common, have seen a few where starters were in most of the way.