Week 1 Chilhowie vs Marion

THS6805

You can count on a couple things with this series. 1) It's a fairly even over time with each team winning 5 of the last 10 games and 15 of the last 30 games.  2) Home Field Advantage is real with both teams going 4-1 at home over the past 10 contests.

After playing a solid scrimmage at Honaker, Marion struggled mightily at Rural Retreat (0 comp, 2 INTS, fumble, turnover on downs inside the 5, critical miscues on D). Meanwhile, Chilhowie played decently against Tazewell on both sides of the ball and looked far better than I was expecting. The Warriors run the Spread and have a young, talented QB with an accurate arm and 4-5 fairly speedy backs/receivers. Chilhowie will be motivated to win the first game for their new coach. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm picking Chilhowie at home.  

Marion’s defense looked pretty good against Honaker’s spread a couple of weeks ago. If Chilhowie is running the spread, I can’t imagine it’ll be half as effective as Honaker’s. 

That being said, this game will come down to Marion’s ability to take care of the football. If they can limit their turnovers, Marion wins by 2 scores. 

The team has a lot of potential and talent but the coaching staff is non existent.. Chilhowie adjusted when we didn't have a clue after the first quarter.

A first year Coach out coached a so called experienced one. The kids were cramping which shows lack of conditioning. SMH

On 8/26/2023 at 12:09 AM, vols4life said:

The team has a lot of potential and talent but the coaching staff is non existent.. Chilhowie adjusted when we didn't have a clue after the first quarter.

A first year Coach out coached a so called experienced one. The kids were cramping which shows lack of conditioning. SMH

It looks like Smyth County football will struggle again this year. Marion was the better team but that doesn't always matter. Chilhowie is not great but played with a lot of heart as expected. 

On 8/26/2023 at 12:09 AM, vols4life said:

Ginn has got to go all he is doing is killing this program. The boys have no fun playing for him and I can't blame them. I believe he told them after Chilhowie that he had done all he could to help them or something pretty dang close to that. He's a clown of a coach and cares nothing about this program. IMO the DC should have been given the HC job because he cares about these boys and the program. Now I know this is only my opinion and opinions are like a**holes but I have been a part of this for 2 years now and have seen first hand how the man is. He's ruined not only my son's last 2 years of HS football but all of these boys that love Hurricane football. I wish these boys nothing but the best but with him in charge the future is looking very dismal for MSHS football.