Science Hill @ Union

UnionGuy2017

After watching the Toppers play Anderson Co, I would say this game gets won at the LOS.  The Run/Pass ratio was >80/20.  If the Bears can contain their starting QB who is very quick and shifty, they have a chance.  Union has a pretty good front 7 even if a tad smaller than SH on LOS.  I have Union by 6

59 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Yep, it means more to Union than the Helltoppers.  In Tennessee, the only games that TRULY matter are the conference games, since that determines the seeding.  This game means nothing to Science Hill.

This is the game I will probably be going to on Friday, since at the very least I will get a seat on the visiting side since the Hell won't travel.  And I won't be going to Jeff County Friday night for "reasons".  Hope Union spanks that @$$ for them, but I believe the Helltoppers win by at least two scores.

Yeah kinda agree, I see SH winning by at least 2 TDs.  Hopefully the “culture shock “ will help us pull it out lol!!!!

On 9/4/2023 at 3:12 PM, Queue said:

Oh, lord -- how long you been banned from the county limits?? 😆😆

Not banned I don't reckon.  Lol, but I pissed a lot of folks off down there last year.  30 of them surely stands a better chance to whoop my old hind end than I do them.

6 hours ago, wdr31 said:

Looked up the Calprep thing I saw in a previous post.  What do they use to come up with there score/percentages?

Hundreds of Scores across the country which equals hundreds of data points to attempt 1 outcome  Think of it like Team 1 playing Team 2.  The look at every team that Team 1 has played and every team than Team 2 has played, then all the other teams they have played, then all the teams those teams played.  It's crazy how a team like Union can be linked to a team in Alabama, but someone Union plays likely plays somebody a little further South in Tennessee and that team played someone in Alabama, and the team in Bama played someone that played someone in Georgia and so on.   A team can be indirectly connected through hundreds of data points and they pick the winner of the game and the score based on those hundreds of scores across the country.  A game in Pennsylvania can effect (very, very tiny amount) but has at least "some" effect on predicting a team in Virginia, etc.  It's actually pretty accurate, alarmingly accurate in my opinion.

One key thing.  It needs more data points (more games) to increase accuracy, and we see it with Calpreps.  Each week, it gets more accurate compared to "week 2" where you only have a week or so of games across the country to feed into the system.  By week 6, it's rolling.  The one thing Calpreps can't account for.  Injuries.  The people in California have no c if Clements from Graham is injured or Creasy from Tazewell.  That's where the limitation is.  In the military, you can use land navigation as an example.  You have a compass and know that point A is roughly 220 degrees from you.  If you know 2 or 3 other data points and their degree difference to point A, you can much more accurately predict/find where point A is.  It's called triangulation.  

From the KTN...

Science Hill (Tenn.) at Union: The Bears have not allowed a single point so far this season, out-scoring their foes 75-0. TSSAA Class 6A Science Hill — a school of more than 2,400 students — has almost assuredly not seen anything like the atmosphere that they’ll be walking into at Bullitt Park on Friday with the train whistle bellowing and every cowbell in Wise County ringing for 48 minutes. Stacy Carter better have his Hilltoppers ready for one of the more hostile environments in the area.

9 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

From the KTN...

Science Hill (Tenn.) at Union: The Bears have not allowed a single point so far this season, out-scoring their foes 75-0. TSSAA Class 6A Science Hill — a school of more than 2,400 students — has almost assuredly not seen anything like the atmosphere that they’ll be walking into at Bullitt Park on Friday with the train whistle bellowing and every cowbell in Wise County ringing for 48 minutes. Stacy Carter better have his Hilltoppers ready for one of the more hostile environments in the area.

“Hostile” 😂😂😂😂 I never thought of Bullitt Park as hostile. I thought the incessant blowing of the train horn was juvenile at times but hostile 😂😂😂😂. I hope y’all put it all over them, lol! 

26 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

“Hostile” 😂😂😂😂 I never thought of Bullitt Park as hostile. I thought the incessant blowing of the train horn was juvenile at times but hostile 😂😂😂😂. I hope y’all put it all over them, lol! 

Juvenile? You were supposed to have soiled your "draws." Guess we don't have that brown note down just right! Lol

Man you guys are insanely more confident than I am. As long as Union doesn’t lose by 30, it’s a win.

If the Hilltoppers thought there was even a 1% chance Union could clip them, why would they schedule the Bears? What do they have to gain?

44 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Juvenile? You were supposed to have soiled your "draws." Guess we don't have that brown note down just right! Lol

Haha…I don’t mind a good train horn when the home team makes a great play or scores a TD but a grown a$$ man blowing it from huddle through the time the opposing team (a bunch of teenage boys) snaps the ball is a bit juvenile in my opinion. Not to say others who love it are wrong we just have different opinions. 😂😂😂 Maybe that “hostile” environment will have those Hilltoppers running to the restroom. 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, crambone22 said:

So what's calprep showing for prediction as of now? Or is more data needed before it works?

Based on this past weekends games that are now updated, they predict 22-7 in favor of the Steve Spurriers. Fun fact, the "ole ball coach" graduated 60 years ago (1963) from S.Hill High.

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

Man you guys are insanely more confident than I am. As long as Union doesn’t lose by 30, it’s a win.

If the Hilltoppers thought there was even a 1% chance Union could clip them, why would they schedule the Bears? What do they have to gain?

No confidence whatsoever from me.  The fact we’ve yet to play 4 quarters of meaningful football scares me a bit 

This won't come out till Friday, but this is what I just sent to Steve Wilmoth as I am part of the Tri-Cities Sports pickin' panel this season:

Science Hill at Union

This is a very interesting interstate matchup.  Union is a combination of two former southwest Virginia dynasties (Appalachia and Powell Valley) and the Bears since consolidation in 2013 haven't lost much of a step from their two predecessors.  The aura of Bullitt Park is magical.  The atmosphere is electric.  What will the folks from Johnson City think when they arrive and only see their Toppers warming up on the field?  Will they be intimidated when the Bears show up about 15 minutes from game time on a bus arriving from their practice field and walk straight down the middle of the field to Hell's Bells by AC/DC?  The folks in Big Stone Gap and Appalachia live, breathe, sleep and eat Union Bear football.  If you're making the trip from Johnson City, arrive early and witness the Union tradition of the "Running of the Bears".  From experience, it is awesome to watch.  The Bears are the preseason favorite to win the ultra competitive Mountain 7 district, but the enrollment difference is just too hard to overlook. Science Hill (around 2400 students) to Union's (around 600).  The Hilltoppers face a stiff challenge from the feisty and hungry Bears, but escape Bullitt Park with a win.  Science Hill 28, Union 14

3 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

This won't come out till Friday, but this is what I just sent to Steve Wilmoth as I am part of the Tri-Cities Sports pickin' panel this season:

Science Hill at Union

This is a very interesting interstate matchup.  Union is a combination of two former southwest Virginia dynasties (Appalachia and Powell Valley) and the Bears since consolidation in 2013 haven't lost much of a step from their two predecessors.  The aura of Bullitt Park is magical.  The atmosphere is electric.  What will the folks from Johnson City think when they arrive and only see their Toppers warming up on the field?  Will they be intimidated when the Bears show up about 15 minutes from game time on a bus arriving from their practice field and walk straight down the middle of the field to Hell's Bells by AC/DC?  The folks in Big Stone Gap and Appalachia live, breathe, sleep and eat Union Bear football.  If you're making the trip from Johnson City, arrive early and witness the Union tradition of the "Running of the Bears".  From experience, it is awesome to watch.  The Bears are the preseason favorite to win the ultra competitive Mountain 7 district, but the enrollment difference is just too hard to overlook. Science Hill (around 2400 students) to Union's (around 600).  The Hilltoppers face a stiff challenge from the feisty and hungry Bears, but escape Bullitt Park with a win.  Science Hill 28, Union 14

Great "pre"cap! One note...they come out to Thunderstruck. GC comes out to Hell's Bells.

Just hope you're wrong on the score! haha

My preseason predictions include a Union loss to Science Hill. Nothing has occurred to alter that prognostication - as I'm afraid the Lee High & Richlands wins do not reveal very much. But several little things give a hint that Union is capable of pulling off an upset. First - Union's defensive middle (tackles & inside linebackers) are experienced seniors and have played really well so far this season. Second - Union has more overall team speed than typical Bear squads. Third - Union's scrimmage against Elizabethton exposed the Bears to a good football program and the team performed competently.

I had high hopes for a large crowd at the game but due to Science Hill's slow start I'm not sure many will make the drive over from Johnson City. Of course Union's home stands will be filled. Bullitt Park remains a special locale to watch Friday night football and, at a minimum, hosting a huge school from Tennessee adds another episode to the fabled story.

7 minutes ago, FBDevotee said:

My preseason predictions include a Union loss to Science Hill. Nothing has occurred to alter that prognostication - as I'm afraid the Lee High & Richlands wins do not reveal very much. But several little things give a hint that Union is capable of pulling off an upset. First - Union's defensive middle (tackles & inside linebackers) are experienced seniors and have played really well so far this season. Second - Union has more overall team speed than typical Bear squads. Third - Union's scrimmage against Elizabethton exposed the Bears to a good football program and the team performed competently.

I had high hopes for a large crowd at the game but due to Science Hill's slow start I'm not sure many will make the drive over from Johnson City. Of course Union's home stands will be filled. Bullitt Park remains a special locale to watch Friday night football and, at a minimum, hosting a huge school from Tennessee adds another episode to the fabled story.

Very good points there. Betsy hit an extremely nice deep pass against Union but other than that the bears D played extremely well, particularly in containing the run. The big running back ran all over science hill the following week. 

Apples to oranges I get it. And it’s not everything, but it’s definitely something. 

51 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Great "pre"cap! One note...they come out to Thunderstruck. GC comes out to Hell's Bells.

Just hope you're wrong on the score! haha

40 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Cmon man Hells Bells? Thunderstruck has been played at the park for as long as I can remember, can’t get that confused with GC coming out lol

Crap, At least I got the band right.  Lol

I used a Scorpions "Rock You Like a Hurricane" reference on Texas A&M and Miami also.  

Intro songs can be iconic and all, but the "WOO" factor at Ridgeview in a big game is by far the best sound around when the whole crowd is doing it and getting into it.  Completely trumped the train horn as of late.  The loud atmosphere is just not the same with the small horns that sound like model T horns.  Atmosphere plays a huge role in home field advantage, but I believe it'll come down to the last possession.  If Union can chew some time and score, it might be really tight but they can't afford to get into a shootout at this point in the season.  I would like to see this game later in the season.

14 minutes ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

Intro songs can be iconic and all, but the "WOO" factor at Ridgeview in a big game is by far the best sound around when the whole crowd is doing it and getting into it.  Completely trumped the train horn as of late.  The loud atmosphere is just not the same with the small horns that sound like model T horns.  Atmosphere plays a huge role in home field advantage, but I believe it'll come down to the last possession.  If Union can chew some time and score, it might be really tight but they can't afford to get into a shootout at this point in the season.  I would like to see this game later in the season.

I like it early in the season just because if Union loses, it gives them time to adjust and get ready for the meat of the M7 season. I don’t particularly like having SH/Graham back to back, two losses in a row can really impede growth, but I like a huge early season game to serve as a measuring stick.