Science Hill @ Union

UnionGuy2017

I thought we’d win. I really did. Much closer game than 27-6. Was 13-6 in the 4th and Union had the ball. Just couldn’t quite get over the hump. I didn’t love play calling at times but even when we had our stuff executed they were on us pretty quick. It’s tough to teach the speed that defense had. 

I thought Union played a good game considering the massive differences in schools.  I wasn’t overly impressed with Science Hill, but I think they graduated some decent players from last year. 
I believe if this game was played later in the year around week 8 or 9 Union would pull it out.  This is a Union team that’ll get better as the season goes on.  
Im excited to see them and RV play in a few weeks.  

54 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Hope the players aren't too banged up and sore this week, and are ready to head to Bluefield Friday.

Lot of injuries tonight but not sure how serious.  Seemed like a couple were linemen so not sure what was going on there 

Just now, Duke2015 said:

Lot of injuries tonight but not sure how serious.  Seemed like a couple were linemen so not sure what was going on there 

Don’t think it’s anything that’ll keep anyone out of action. 72 took a pretty rough chop block but did return. 

9 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Like said above, chop blocks. SH got flagged for 2, but got away with several others.

2 hours ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Don’t think it’s anything that’ll keep anyone out of action. 72 took a pretty rough chop block but did return. 

Noticed he was limping pretty bad was surprised he played the second half

The game was wonderful to attend and watch! The atmosphere was as exciting as anticipated with a big raucous, sometimes cacophonic, Union crowd. Science Hill brought a large band, a good crowd, and an enormous team. The Bears played very well, but ultimately the linemen wore down. The Hill Toppers could shuttle some big bodies in and out, and although Union's offensive line can boast three over 260 pounds, they still looked undersized against their out of state opposition and, as mentioned, at different times I believe both starting tackles left the game with injuries. The Bears linemen played with really hard and can be really proud.

I will admit that in the early forth quarter, with the score 13 to 6 and Union's offense on the field, I said to someone beside me that the Bears have a chance to win!    

For a moment there, when it was 13-6, thought maybe a little park magic would come into play.  Union killed several of their own drives with silly 5 yard penalties and Science Hill only made a few mistakes the entire game that Union was unable to capitalize on.  Science Hill had a ton of athletes and good sized youngins, but a little disappointed with the numbers in their crowd.  Play-calling wasn't the worst I've seen, but the jet sweep wasn't happening.  When they actually opened up the playbook a little and started looking downfield, you could see the momentum swing back huge.  But then, they took their foot off the gas pedal, and back to jet sweep and bubble screens.  Or, maybe they just ran out of gas all together.  Gotta quit calling plays that don't result in TD's lol.  The band was one of the best we've heard in years.  The Bears never quit.  It was like the scene in Monty Pythons's quest, "It's only a flesh wound", as the Bears kept losing limbs but wanted to keep fighting.  If they can keep that attitude, who knows how far they could go this season. Good luck to both moving on.

2 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

The BSG community treated me and dad like royalty when we brought the train horn for them against Appo in 2017(i think). They gave us a special parking spot, brought us food and provided security in case we needed it. I hope to attend a game there again one day. 

Good people down there. 

10 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Not the type of "culture shock" that some on here were expecting

On 9/10/2023 at 10:40 AM, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

For a moment there, when it was 13-6, thought maybe a little park magic would come into play.  Union killed several of their own drives with silly 5 yard penalties and Science Hill only made a few mistakes the entire game that Union was unable to capitalize on.  Science Hill had a ton of athletes and good sized youngins, but a little disappointed with the numbers in their crowd.  Play-calling wasn't the worst I've seen, but the jet sweep wasn't happening.  When they actually opened up the playbook a little and started looking downfield, you could see the momentum swing back huge.  But then, they took their foot off the gas pedal, and back to jet sweep and bubble screens.  Or, maybe they just ran out of gas all together.  Gotta quit calling plays that don't result in TD's lol.  The band was one of the best we've heard in years.  The Bears never quit.  It was like the scene in Monty Pythons's quest, "It's only a flesh wound", as the Bears kept losing limbs but wanted to keep fighting.  If they can keep that attitude, who knows how far they could go this season. Good luck to both moving on.

Science Hill only travels when it's to Kingsport for D-B.  They may have around 7 people in the crowd the next two weeks when they make two trips in a row to Maryville.

On 9/11/2023 at 11:14 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

Science Hill only travels when it's to Kingsport for D-B.  They may have around 7 people in the crowd the next two weeks when they make two trips in a row to Maryville.

They had a decent crowd including the band bigger than I expected anyways