Ridgeview @ Central

VFL

I have to admit, RV has some deep talent that I didn’t expect. So far this season at any given time, most of the players on the field are sophomores and juniors. O’Quinn is such a different player this year. He is poised, makes reads, accurate, scrambles, fast, and meticulous thus far. Central will be the first 2A team they play, so we will see if the level of play can carry over. RV has an amazing second string QB and skill players as well. The more I watch them, the more excited I get of the possibilities this year. I believe Central can turn into a threat anytime like always, but I have to believe RV runs away with this one and there is a running clock second half….

Ridgeview 42

Central 14

The pack haven't been tested yet. They have played counting Central 3 bad teams. I'm curious how they will fair when they actually play a decent team. I know they play Virginia High in a couple weeks. Might be their first decent competition.   

Central lost a lot up front. They are no where close in the trenches to what they have been in the past. Eastside looked great up front against Central and Marion absolutely dominated them up front. The QB is quick and if he gets going Central can be respectable on offense. They are also missing the dogs they have had at linebacker over the years. I dont know if they are young or just struggling at the moment. Honestly I dont know much about RV but if they are okay up front they run away with this one. IMO Central to looking at a 1-9 2-8 season that is if they can get past Grundy later in the season. 

21 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

I thought the Deel kid looked good after replacing Hackney the other night.  

He looked pretty good and he looked great on defense. He let a receiver get behind him on one play but was still able to get back quick enough and jump with enough hang time deflect the pass that would have been a touchdown easily. He’s gonna be extremely exciting to watch through the next three years. Same with fuller and the others. Most of the players that plays are not seniors.

The Junior class for RV is good and I absolutely think 3-4 of them should have been varsity last year.  I think they missed an opportunity to get those kids meaningful varsity reps and, I felt, two of them should have been starting last year.  They have athletes at the second and third level on defense but they don't have a lot of experience.  Good thing they get 3-4 "warm-up" games before getting into the meat of their schedule.  

If I were the RV staff, I'd be working on my defensive game plan for Union now. Stack the box to stuff the RB and you leave those inexperienced but talented DBs exposed and you have to shadow the QB for his threat to run.  Last year RV had the luxury of having the fastest kids on the field....don't think they'll have that advantage this year although their team speed is absolutely underrated.  If the coaching staffs show up for both teams...that should be a good game.

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

The Junior class for RV is good and I absolutely think 3-4 of them should have been varsity last year.  I think they missed an opportunity to get those kids meaningful varsity reps and, I felt, two of them should have been starting last year.  They have athletes at the second and third level on defense but they don't have a lot of experience.  Good thing they get 3-4 "warm-up" games before getting into the meat of their schedule.  

If I were the RV staff, I'd be working on my defensive game plan for Union now. Stack the box to stuff the RB and you leave those inexperienced but talented DBs exposed and you have to shadow the QB for his threat to run.  Last year RV had the luxury of having the fastest kids on the field....don't think they'll have that advantage this year although their team speed is absolutely underrated.  If the coaching staffs show up for both teams...that should be a good game.

Stacking the line on Union might not be a good idea this year.  A lot of talent at the receiver position this year and actually using it 

1 minute ago, Duke2015 said:

Stacking the line on Union might not be a good idea this year.  A lot of talent at the receiver position this year and actually using it 

Pick your poison.  I'd taught those DBs to play man-press and throw in some disguised zone.  You have to stack the box or you get bludgeoned at 5-7 ypc.  What I don't understand is why press is not taught anywhere in SWVA...it isn't in the DC's toolbox.  SInce it isn't used then the other team's  WRs don't know how to defeat it.  A solidly coached set of CBs that can press and follow would mess up those young WRs the whole game and the QB who hasn't seen it either. 

Coverages aren't taught the same anymore,  football was simpler when you had defensive coaches witty enough to mix it up and disguise it. Don't understand why in the age of the spread, very little in your face man to man anymore.  Seems like instead of developing kids, coaches just hiding them with help over top all the time in a hybrid-like zone scheme. Newsflash, zones might have some holes.  Frustrating to watch at times. 

11 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Pick your poison.  I'd taught those DBs to play man-press and throw in some disguised zone.  You have to stack the box or you get bludgeoned at 5-7 ypc.  What I don't understand is why press is not taught anywhere in SWVA...it isn't in the DC's toolbox.  SInce it isn't used then the other team's  WRs don't know how to defeat it.  A solidly coached set of CBs that can press and follow would mess up those young WRs the whole game and the QB who hasn't seen it either. 

I think a lot of coaches shy away from press because even if you are good at it no one is 100% and if the other team has an above average QB then that is 6 points and sometimes that will cost you the game. 

13 hours ago, Jags52 said:

I think a lot of coaches shy away from press because even if you are good at it no one is 100% and if the other team has an above average QB then that is 6 points and sometimes that will cost you the game. 

I don't think they know enough to teach it in a lot of cases, honestly.  I've always felt the least developed position in SWVA is DB, specifically CB. 

34 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

I don't think they know enough to teach it in a lot of cases, honestly.  I've always felt the least developed position in SWVA is DB, specifically CB. 

They better learn because the QB play is only going to get better over the next couple of decades.

8 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

I disagree usually there is only one DB coach on a staff and if you are teaching press then what do the safeties do while CB are running press drills? It’s more efficient to teach an off man skill so you can get both safeties and corners involved in a drill that helps both of them instead of spending your 10 minutes of indy on half of your position group 

12 hours ago, Jags52 said:

I disagree usually there is only one DB coach on a staff and if you are teaching press then what do the safeties do while CB are running press drills? It’s more efficient to teach an off man skill so you can get both safeties and corners involved in a drill that helps both of them instead of spending your 10 minutes of indy on half of your position group 

Disagree with what?  Teaching basic man/press drills because the Safeties aren't being utilized?  Seriously?  Off man press doesn't disrupt a route...at all.  You give up the ability to reroute and affect routes and to protect leverage or areas of the field.  There literally is no disadvantage to teaching basic press.....at the very least it teaches your DB's coverage and reaction skills and increases athletic skills.  Your gunners on special teams should be DBs and this would aid them as well.  Also, numerous concepts employ man-zone....have the S's practice that during their rep.  

Any decent coach can run two simultaneous drills at once. Why not practice zone blitzes from the S position?  Or, most teams have to mix their CBs and S's....usually there are four starters and a fifth that will be the "first in" either position.  

2 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Disagree with what?  Teaching basic man/press drills because the Safeties aren't being utilized?  Seriously?  Off man press doesn't disrupt a route...at all.  You give up the ability to reroute and affect routes and to protect leverage or areas of the field.  There literally is no disadvantage to teaching basic press.....at the very least it teaches your DB's coverage and reaction skills and increases athletic skills.  Your gunners on special teams should be DBs and this would aid them as well.  Also, numerous concepts employ man-zone....have the S's practice that during their rep.  

Any decent coach can run two simultaneous drills at once. Why not practice zone blitzes from the S position?  Or, most teams have to mix their CBs and S's....usually there are four starters and a fifth that will be the "first in" either position.  

Agree 100%. Would also help from time to time  to line up the CBs just inside enough pre-snap to discourage the slant, and close enough to deny the little hitches you see teams just give up every play. Make the QB throw the ball over the CB with safety help over the top. Some high school QBs are accurate, but you can still make it harder for them to throw the ball. CBs have to be 2 of the best athletes on the field, so use ‘em like they are.