Phoebus vs Jamestown

V-Cats

28 minutes ago, V-Cats said:

From what I read the Phantoms pulled their starters in the first & their HC offered to end the game at halftime (when it was 84-0) and Jamestown's coach refused

PSX_20231111_143610.jpg

I read Phoebus’ JV offense scored 6 TD’s running a base formation with no motion. Trying to just move the clock as quickly as possible. 

Just now, sixcat said:

I read Phoebus’ JV offense scored 6 TD’s running a base formation with no motion. Trying to just move the clock as quickly as possible. 

They did and several pick 6s for Ohoebus as Jamestown kept passing and several pick 6s by Phoebus JV secondary

1 minute ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

They did and several pick 6s for Ohoebus as Jamestown kept passing and several pick 6s by Phoebus JV secondary

Too many classifications and too many teams in the playoffs in Virginia. Four classifications is plenty!!!

17 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

Too many teams or too many classifications?
Maybe both?

Both but damn 1-9 and 0-10 teams making the playoffs is ridiculous. 

My team giles was 3-7 and didn't deserve a playoff bid.....playoff berth should be a reward but these days everyone makes it...which is a joke

Southampton, the 7 seed beat the 2 seed Central Lunenberg in Class 2A last night. So, does that prove we should stay at 8 teams? Heck no, great win by Southampton but even with that nice upset win, Southampton didn't belong in. Same for Giles if we would have upset Grayson. We didn't belong in regardless of the outcome with Grayson.

One catch though. If VA went to 4 classes, then I do think 8 should get in. 

14 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

If VA went to 4 classes, then I do think 8 should get in. 

That would be a 64 team reduction in the number of teams that qualify for the postseason. Sounds about right to me!!!

3 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Too many teams in playoffs...period 

I think the results of the Region D playoffs top to bottom showed that. Everyone talks up this team or that team as having a chance at an upset and then 1-4 advances. IMO 4 is the right number, but I could live with 6 to satisfy the give em a trophy crowd.

17 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

I think the results of the Region D playoffs top to bottom showed that. Everyone talks up this team or that team as having a chance at an upset and then 1-4 advances. IMO 4 is the right number, but I could live with 6 to satisfy the give em a trophy crowd.

Agree 100%

I mean a 3-7 or worse team in playoffs is an embarrassment...and it's just for the give em a trophy crowd

Start the season 2 weeks earlier. Also have a better chance with the weather being a little more favorable. With the year round stuff now,  you've got more time than the required 20 practices.  Keep 6 but not 8. Top 4 was and is all it should be.  There's little chance 1 vs 8 etc. 1D was almost an exception in scott county the past 24 hours, but those are few and far between. 

15 minutes ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

Start the season 2 weeks earlier. Also have a better chance with the weather being a little more favorable. With the year round stuff now,  you've got more time than the required 20 practices.  Keep 6 but not 8. Top 4 was and is all it should be.  There's little chance 1 vs 8 etc. 1D was almost an exception in scott county the past 24 hours, but those are few and far between. 

Thing is, there’s only 15 or so teams each in 1D and 2D…4 teams is over 25% of the teams..6 would be nearly half. The playoffs should be for the very good to elite teams…and they shouldn’t have to take a chance losing players to injury playing fair to middling teams before they actually got down to business. Region 2C is the most obvious example this year that you need at least 4, but I don’t see a case there where there should be even 5. In 2D this year 4 would have been plenty, as well.

18 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Agree 100%

I mean a 3-7 or worse team in playoffs is an embarrassment...and it's just for the give em a trophy crowd

Regardless of the number of teams that get in, imo they should at least have to have a minimum 5-5 record or else the region could reduce the number of teams to those with eligible records…kinda like being bowl eligible in college football. Give byes to the top teams starting with the top seed for every spot without an eligible team.

7 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

Regardless of the number of teams that get in, imo they should at least have to have a minimum 5-5 record or else the region could reduce the number of teams to those with eligible records…kinda like being bowl eligible in college football. Give byes to the top teams starting with the top seed for every spot without an eligible team.

Agree....if you can't finish at least .500 you don't deserve a reward of a playoff berth

If they were to go down to 4 classifications (which the VHSL would have no monetary incentive to do of course) I would hope they would force LCA and Maggie Walker into the top classification 

1 hour ago, sup_rbeast said:

Satisfy the "give'em a trophy" crowd? You mean satisfy the VH$L? There's no trophy awarded for making the playoffs in high school, but it puts money in the pockets of the various athletic associations, and they're not giving that up...ever, and the VH$L doesn't care if some kids from Jamestown or wherever get railed in the process. It's the same way with the T$$AA , FH$AA, the KH$AA and so on and so forth. It's not just a Virginia issue. 

1 hour ago, JDHoss said:

Satisfy the "give'em a trophy" crowd? You mean satisfy the VH$L? There's no trophy awarded for making the playoffs in high school, but it puts money in the pockets of the various athletic associations, and they're not giving that up...ever, and the VH$L doesn't care if some kids from Jamestown or wherever get railed in the process. It's the same way with the T$$AA , FH$AA, the KH$AA and so on and so forth. It's not just a Virginia issue. 

While there’s no trophy for getting in, having a first round bracket including teams who don’t have excellent (or at least very good) records lessens the accomplishment for those who do. I’ve seen and remember in the past 8 and 9 win teams failing to get in. Thing is, before those seasons ever started, every team in the region knew how high the bar to get in was…and that turned several games per year into must win games. IMO it gave the season more meaning and gave the playoffs a lot more meaning. I’m not saying it has to go back to that, but I wouldn’t mind it, either. The way it sits right now (especially in 2D where there are only 2 districts) 4 is plenty, 6 is a tad much, and 8 is just making teams who deserve to be there beat several who don’t. I think everyone understands the VHSL gets an extra round of ticket sales, but that’s just part of the problem.

I think 6 is the magic number.  It’s not perfect but in most years it’ll make sure all the good teams get in.  I remember in Rick Mullins first year at Clintwood missing the playoffs a with an 8-2 record.  The bad part about that was Rye Cove got in with a worse record because they won the Cumberland.  That was when the way class 1 &2 were split was a joke. 

yes, that system let the best 4 in but the fact that a weak district could have a champion that played 1st round at home was a joke.  Just like it's always A vs B and C vs D in the semi's.  It should be points all the way through.  Yea it would mean some travels but play at neutral sites or let the host team be at the nearest college campus close by on a good field without nasty conditions.  I think the semi pairings happened as the result of all too often having Region D schools (other sports than football) in the state finals causing the other side of the state to be a little butt hurt, but on the flipside helped the argument that west was indeed the best.

53 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Personally, I miss the days of 4 teams making the regional playoffs.  Back then there were 4 Regions and only 3 Classifications, so only 12 making the playoffs in each classification.  It was very difficult to make the playoffs.

Yeah you had to earn it back then but I do recall some 9-1 teams being left out because another team would be 6-4 and win their district 

1 hour ago, Duke2015 said:

Yeah you had to earn it back then but I do recall some 9-1 teams being left out because another team would be 6-4 and win their district 

True but thats better than what we have now....districts meant something....now they mean squat