Phoebus vs Jamestown

V-Cats

Just now, Hokiebird7 said:

True but thats better than what we have now....districts meant something....now they mean squat

Yeah I’d like to see them go to 6 and give top 2 a bye.  That would reward the top two teams and prevent a injury in a blowout 

20 hours ago, sup_rbeast said:

While there’s no trophy for getting in, having a first round bracket including teams who don’t have excellent (or at least very good) records lessens the accomplishment for those who do. I’ve seen and remember in the past 8 and 9 win teams failing to get in. Thing is, before those seasons ever started, every team in the region knew how high the bar to get in was…and that turned several games per year into must win games. IMO it gave the season more meaning and gave the playoffs a lot more meaning. I’m not saying it has to go back to that, but I wouldn’t mind it, either. The way it sits right now (especially in 2D where there are only 2 districts) 4 is plenty, 6 is a tad much, and 8 is just making teams who deserve to be there beat several who don’t. I think everyone understands the VHSL gets an extra round of ticket sales, but that’s just part of the problem.

The extra round of ticket sales is...well..why we have the extra round, and that's 100% the responsibility of the VH$L (and other organizations in different states). How much are playoff tickets in VA? $8-10? They're $10 here. For the FHSAA, the first round of the 9 class system will produce over $1.3+ million based on an average attendance of 1K.  That's a big chunk of change in their budget, and they couldn't possibly care less if they have blowout games, and St Thomas Aquinas doesn't feel like their 9-1 season and #10 national ranking is cheapened by mercy ruling Plantaion this weekend. I'd also wage that while the VH$L probably "only" raked in around $800K in the opening round, that they didn't care that Jamestown got railed by Phoebus, and I'd also bet that Phoebus didn't feel their 11-0 record was "lessened" by the game. I agree that there needs to be less teams, but the people (VH$L) who control the show aren't giving up a big chunk of change that helps their operating budget. 

On 11/11/2023 at 8:20 PM, sup_rbeast said:

I think the results of the Region D playoffs top to bottom showed that. Everyone talks up this team or that team as having a chance at an upset and then 1-4 advances. IMO 4 is the right number, but I could live with 6 to satisfy the give em a trophy crowd.

I'm with the six. Maybe make it like the NFL playoffs and give the top seeds bye weeks. 

But for everyone arguing too many classes, too many teams in the playoffs has to remember that the VHSL makes bank off these games and money will always overrule. You're more likely to get more teams and games than less, since that would be less money. 

2 minutes ago, LacesOutDan23 said:

But for everyone arguing too many classes, too many teams in the playoffs has to remember that the VHSL makes bank off these games and money will always overrule. You're more likely to get more teams and games than less, since that would be less money. 

All of this is hypothetical considering anything VH$L does will be to maximize profit. 

My contention that 6 classifications is too many is rooted in common sense. Make the smallest classification exclusively for the smallest schools in the state, regardless of the number of schools. Pick a cut-off number that makes sense and stick to it, even if the asshole at Grayson County threatens a lawsuit. Then divide the remainder of the state into three equal divisions. Four classifications is plenty. Anything more is watered down and nonsensical. 

Everybody understands this is about money. It always has been with VH$L. That doesn't mean that it's in anyone's best interest. Keeping 6 classifications and only allowing 6 teams to qualify out of each region would still be fewer teams and fewer games, which is less revenue. Doing the right thing often means giving something up.

45 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Seems to have worked for Narrows so far. 

What? Too soon?

In defense of Narrows (God, can't believe I'm doing this) outside of their district, they do play Honaker, James Monroe, Holston, Chilhowie, Giles.  Their bad luck or kind of bad luck, Holston, Chilhowie and Giles ain't nothing like they were.  Giles goes back further than Chilhowie and Holston for not being good, but Chilhowie and Holston I guess more recent fall offs, so Narrows it appears....has tried.  Of course, they have to play their district schedule.

1 minute ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

In defense of Narrows (God, can't believe I'm doing this) outside of their district, they do play Honaker, James Monroe, Holston, Chilhowie, Giles.  Their bad luck or kind of bad luck, Holston, Chilhowie and Giles ain't nothing like they were.  Giles goes back further than Chilhowie and Holston for not being good, but Chilhowie and Holston I guess more recent fall offs, so Narrows it appears....has tried.  Of course, they have to play their district schedule.

Very true. There's no comparing the non-district schedule Narrows plays to the one Bath plays.

I suggest go back to the East/west split with a 12 team bracket on each side. That would give 4 byes but should cut the bottom hangers on off. Crossover the semis to give the best possible chance of the two best teams meeting up in the finals. 

As for people scamming to get a better seeding, the power point system is flawed so there needs to be more separation of points for classification and a SOS component as well. You shouldn’t be able to eat cupcakes all season and get rewarded with a prime seed in the playoffs. It’s sensible to consider the team you won against opponents not just the win total. 

15 minutes ago, RedPrideNation said:

I suggest go back to the East/west split with a 12 team bracket on each side.

For the most part, I think that's a good idea. The lower classifications typically won't have an issue with the travel either. Once you start getting into the larger schools, the unwillingness to travel more than a few miles down the road becomes an real issue. The folks in Tidewater, NOVA and Richmond fail to accept the notion that the state extends quite a ways west of Charlottesville. 

I hear ya and if there is that much heartburn they can have 35 teams battle for their 12 spots and not worry about traveling until the semis. It’s asinine that high school sports are a small microcosm of the way Richmond works for us more rural folks. Nova and Hampton have the highest population density so they get to set the “rules” for about everything. Starting to think the mountain should be the boarder and we do our own thing up and down the I81 corridor……..

1 hour ago, RedPrideNation said:

I suggest go back to the East/west split with a 12 team bracket on each side. That would give 4 byes but should cut the bottom hangers on off. Crossover the semis to give the best possible chance of the two best teams meeting up in the finals. 

As for people scamming to get a better seeding, the power point system is flawed so there needs to be more separation of points for classification and a SOS component as well. You shouldn’t be able to eat cupcakes all season and get rewarded with a prime seed in the playoffs. It’s sensible to consider the team you won against opponents not just the win total. 

Cross overs imo are travel that don't need to happen 

Not sure if it had already been mentioned or not but Phoebus scored 21 points in the first 48 seconds of the game off of 2 fumbles and a pick 6. Their 4th and 5th touchdowns came from punt returns. They were up 35-0 after the first 5 and half minutes of the game with the offense only running 3 total plays.