Phoebus vs Jamestown

V-Cats

7 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Wow, a chance to run out the clock or score just one more! The Phoebus coach shouldn’t feel good about it. What a shame his players had no problem wanting to score just one more on a team they decimated. There are times when teams in our area could hang that many if starters were left in the entire time but they don’t. I realize Phoebus was down to 3rd string but I’m not sure what lesson was learned on that last play. It’s on the coach not the kids. Kids don’t have the mental capacity adults do. I’m guessing in 30 years, some of them will think “Man, we shouldn’t have done that!” Obviously, this situation falls on the VHSL  when all is said & done. 

7 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Here is an excerpt from the article. Everyone knows VH$L playoff system is "questionable" at best. But will VH$L change the system? I think they might with enough pressure from articles like this.

Why did this travesty happen?

A questionable high school football playoff system in Virginia created this unfortunate matchup. Phoebus entered the game 10-0 with seven shutouts. Jamestown entered the game 1-9, with seven of those losses’ shutouts. “No disrespect to Coach (Lambin) and his team, but it wasn’t a matchup that we were excited about,’’ Blunt said. The game got out of hand almost as soon as it started. Jamestown committed turnovers on the first play of each of its first three possession, and Phoebus led 20-0 just 48 seconds into the game.

Jamestown trailed 56-0 at the end of the first quarter. “Those poor kids shouldn’t have been in that game,’’ said Blunt, adding that he pulled out most of his starters early in the first quarter. The schools’ athletic directors discussed ending the game at halftime, according to Blunt, who said Jamestown chose to play on even after trailing 84-0 at halftime. Lambin, a former Marine, suggests he draws on his military background in coaching a team that went 0-10 last season. “The biggest takeaway from last night is we didn’t quit,’’ he wrote.

6 hours ago, sixcat said:

Here is an excerpt from the article. Everyone knows VH$L playoff system is "questionable" at best. But will VH$L change the system? I think they might with enough pressure from articles like this.

Why did this travesty happen?

A questionable high school football playoff system in Virginia created this unfortunate matchup. Phoebus entered the game 10-0 with seven shutouts. Jamestown entered the game 1-9, with seven of those losses’ shutouts. “No disrespect to Coach (Lambin) and his team, but it wasn’t a matchup that we were excited about,’’ Blunt said. The game got out of hand almost as soon as it started. Jamestown committed turnovers on the first play of each of its first three possession, and Phoebus led 20-0 just 48 seconds into the game.

Jamestown trailed 56-0 at the end of the first quarter. “Those poor kids shouldn’t have been in that game,’’ said Blunt, adding that he pulled out most of his starters early in the first quarter. The schools’ athletic directors discussed ending the game at halftime, according to Blunt, who said Jamestown chose to play on even after trailing 84-0 at halftime. Lambin, a former Marine, suggests he draws on his military background in coaching a team that went 0-10 last season. “The biggest takeaway from last night is we didn’t quit,’’ he wrote.

I've seen this discussion play out every year on message boards from various states after some ridiculous 1st round blowouts. That extra round provides the VH$L (and other associations) with a nice chunk of change for their operating budget, and they are not going to give that up under any circumstances. 

14 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

I've seen this discussion play out every year on message boards from various states after some ridiculous 1st round blowouts. That extra round provides the VH$L (and other associations) with a nice chunk of change for their operating budget, and they are not going to give that up under any circumstances. 

With enough pressure, I think they might. But it would require an exorbitant amount of pressure. I just don't think enough people care so, it's highly unlikely anything changes. 

The problem with only four teams advancing is you can have some really good teams miss the playoffs. I know George Wythe and Galax both have missed playoffs with 9-1 records before and Galax only had 28 points scored on them that whole year. 
   As far as a record cutoff, where is the line? Galax win state in 2015 with a 6-4 regular season record. 

11 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

The problem with only four teams advancing is you can have some really good teams miss the playoffs. I know George Wythe and Galax both have missed playoffs with 9-1 records before and Galax only had 28 points scored on them that whole year. 
   As far as a record cutoff, where is the line? Galax win state in 2015 with a 6-4 regular season record. 

Yeah, I don’t like only 4 teams getting in because you will always have quality teams missing the playoffs. I know I’m in the minority but I think reducing classifications to only 4 solves a lot of problems. 

53 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

Appalachia and jonesville won state in the 80s at 5-5

12 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Appalachia and jonesville won state in the 80s at 5-5

Yep, and Garden finished 6-4 and made the finals where they lost a tight game to Lunnenburg. One year in the 80s, PV lost something like two of their first three by something like less than 5 points combined, finished 8-2 and thumped state runner up Pennington Gap 35-14, but missed the playoffs. 

19 hours ago, sixcat said:

With enough pressure, I think they might. But it would require an exorbitant amount of pressure. I just don't think enough people care so, it's highly unlikely anything changes. 

Pressure from who? As you said, very few people care about this issue and the ones that do, what would they do? Sue the VH$L? I'm no lawyer, but I can't see that going anywhere in a courtroom. 

9 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

Pressure from who? As you said, very few people care about this issue and the ones that do, what would they do? Sue the VH$L? I'm no lawyer, but I can't see that going anywhere in a courtroom. 

Pressure doesn't necessarily imply "courtroom" nor did I ever imply anything within the legal system.  If this issue were to gain enough traction, there are any number of ways something can take off resulting in pressure for VHSL. Weird things go viral on social media every day and become national stories. Those stories end up leading on the Nightly News and Sportscenter. That type of attention would be enough, I believe, to force VHSL to reevaluate the current playoff system. 

But as I stated earlier, not enough people care about this to make it go viral. Therefore, it's highly unlikely anything changes and we'll be having this same conversation next year.

20 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

Yep, and Garden finished 6-4 and made the finals where they lost a tight game to Lunnenburg. One year in the 80s, PV lost something like two of their first three by something like less than 5 points combined, finished 8-2 and thumped state runner up Pennington Gap 35-14, but missed the playoffs. 

I don't think Pennington had any runner-up finishes other than 76.  They lost a couple of Semi's in the 80s but I don't think they made the state game.

5 hours ago, sixcat said:

Pressure doesn't necessarily imply "courtroom" nor did I ever imply anything within the legal system.  If this issue were to gain enough traction, there are any number of ways something can take off resulting in pressure for VHSL. Weird things go viral on social media every day and become national stories. Those stories end up leading on the Nightly News and Sportscenter. That type of attention would be enough, I believe, to force VHSL to reevaluate the current playoff system. 

But as I stated earlier, not enough people care about this to make it go viral. Therefore, it's highly unlikely anything changes and we'll be having this same conversation next year.

There's not enough care in the world to make the VH$L (or other associations) cut that much money out of their yearly budget. Take the T$$AA a few years ago when a cash strapped, bad, player depleted Unaka team refused to make the 3+ hour bus to undefeated Greenback for a first round blowout. Was the T$$AA sympathetic? No, they punished Unaka for it. They simply don't care about anything other than getting their money that the opening round generates. 

5 hours ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

I don't think Pennington had any runner-up finishes other than 76.  They lost a couple of Semi's in the 80s but I don't think they made the state game.

I tried to look on 4 Seasons Football, but the spreadsheet with the results isn't showing up for me. I want to say it was in 84. Maybe it was in the semifinals. 

It is google chrome. try this fix for fourseasons.

1. Go to the site using chrome.
2. Click on the lock or circles (depending on the version you have) in the address bar to the LEFT of the web address
3. Click on site settings
4. Click on privacy and security
5. Scroll down to the choice named insecure content.
6. Change the setting to "allow" OR
6  Copy and paste the website address when prompted

You have to tell Chrome that even though Chrome thinks the site is insecure to allow it to show on your device.

On 11/15/2023 at 10:05 AM, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

With Bluefield Researcher's help, I got it to come up. In 84, the Bobcats lost to Covington in the semis, and later on in the 80s lost to Drewry Mason & Lexington.