Graham vs Radford

Gridiron60

1 hour ago, Graham32 said:

Radford had a very good defense. I still feel like in 2019 against Appomattox we let another one get by us. It happens can't win them all. Daniel Jennings will become the next big star for Graham only if he can learn to hold onto the ball. He coughs it up way too much but he is young I understand that. Graham should be in the mix next season, it will be fun to watch. 

Just an outsider looking in on Saturday and the 2019 game against Appo, I thought Graham was the better team both times. I thought Appo benefited from shear luck, and Radford benefitted from Graham's mistakes and poor offensive schemes.

I will say that Radford was way closer to Graham than I expected. This is where video never tells the whole story when trying to gauge a team I've never seen in person.

As I watched on Saturday, I was thinking that Graham fans know how Union people have felt in several big games over the years. I would rather get beat 40-0 and know we didn't have a chance than lose a close one and continue to wonder "what if?"

5 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Just an outsider looking in on Saturday and the 2019 game against Appo, I thought Graham was the better team both times. I thought Appo benefited from shear luck, and Radford benefitted from Graham's mistakes and poor offensive schemes.

I will say that Radford was way closer to Graham than I expected. This is where video never tells the whole story when trying to gauge a team I've never seen in person.

As I watched on Saturday, I was thinking that Graham fans know how Union people have felt in several big games over the years. I would rather get beat 40-0 and know we didn't have a chance than lose a close one and continue to wonder "what if?"

Graham held Radford to less rushing yardage, passing yardage, and less points than any other opponent if I’m not mistaken. The “whatifs” are never fun to dwell on but we have to remember those are kids on the field and sometimes they mess up. Unfortunately, mess ups can cost you a game with a team that’s about as evenly matched. Taking nothing away from Radford and totally biased opinion, I think Graham is the better team but Radford did what they needed to do to get the win, Graham didn’t. I hope Bobcats can get the win this Saturday in Salem. 

1 hour ago, jeffro said:

I'm just an armchair QB, But Im still scratching my head why Graham drives to the red zone twice with Clements, then decides to pass..and fails to score each time.

No clue & even if Clements needed a breather, Floyd or Jennings were available. 

10 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Graham had some issues with the defensive line that game in 2019.  They were missing a key player who got ejected the week before.  They looked confused and  were shifting guys around.  Tre Lawing connected on a long td pass to a wide open receiver, due to an inexperuenced player being forced into action that day.  Appomattox had one heck of a running back in Christian Ferguson and very good line play.  Z. Bradshaw had a punt return for a td called back.  I think the difference in that game was Appos ability to contain Graham's QB from getting to the outside when pressured, they did a great job.  The refs missed a couple of ineligible receiver downfield calls on #47 for Appo who didn't line up as an eligible receiver but went downfield  a few times, Graham defender covered him, which led to a couple of crucial completions for Appo.  It was a good experience for Graham.  I believe Graham could have won that game if they had gotten the ball into the hands of Marquel Ray and Bradshaw more on that day.  Appo was intent on stopping Graham's versatile qb.

15 hours ago, jeffro said:

I'm just an armchair QB, But Im still scratching my head why Graham drives to the red zone twice with Clements, then decides to pass..and fails to score each time.

Theres a few OCs out there who seem to get away from their bread and butter unnecessarily in the red zone.