Top 3 Basketball Gyms

Wave#24 Grandson

Of the coverage area teams form this site, I would go with Castlewood as my top, then Lebanon, then Virginia High.

Of gyms I have seen overall, Perry County Central in Kentucky is #1 by a long mile.  Was there for the 14th region semifinals last year, the Combs Arena is listed at 3,800 capacity I believe.  There were folks standing around all around the upper concourse cause there were no seats left, so I would say there were close to 4,300 in there for the two region semifinals last year.

The 15th region two years ago had probably close to 8,000 in attendance, but it was played at Appalachian Wireless Arena in Pikeville, not a purpose built high school gym.  High school basketball in Kentucky is just on another level as compared to the other states in the area.

Depends on your taste. Newer and more comfortable, Va High by a mile. Old school and compact, Chilhowie by a mile. Castlewood bleachers are terrible if you are over 5 feet tall. Lebanon is big but bleachers are terrible. Ridgeview lighting is awful. I would take Gate City over Lebanon any day of the week. Wooden bleachers much better than plastic or metal. 

As far as the nicest basketball arenas where high school basketball is able to be played in Southwest Virginia  

1. Pryor Center - UVA Wise

2. Ridgeview 

3. Virginia High

As far as the atmospheres in Southwest Virginia currently when the stands are full and the place is going crazy

1. Gate City

2. Twin Springs 

3. JI Burton 

Old school gyms non existent now that were the best atmospheres in Southwest Virginia when they were packed out  

1. JJ Kelly

2. Clinchco

3. Clintwood. 

Just my opinion here though.  

6 hours ago, TheDuke said:

Depends on your taste. Newer and more comfortable, Va High by a mile. Old school and compact, Chilhowie by a mile. Castlewood bleachers are terrible if you are over 5 feet tall. Lebanon is big but bleachers are terrible. Ridgeview lighting is awful. I would take Gate City over Lebanon any day of the week. Wooden bleachers much better than plastic or metal. 

I’d say just about every bleacher type is terrible. someone could become a millionaire if they invented a better bleacher