The Hickory Maroons down Dorman in one of the biggest upsets in coverage area history

BandanaVTDavis4321

Yes, it's that big of a deal.  GW with around 400 vs a small university in size, nearly 4,000 if I read correctly Dorman and Dorman won the South Carolina 5A state title last year and GW is Class 1 in Virginia.  Dorman is also ranked number 1 in 5A in SC by Maxpreps and the 80th ranked overall school in the United States.  

What happened is something just completely unheard of.  I know GW is good and is a frontrunner to win the Class 1 title, but this is completely absurd folks.  Just absolute insanity that GW could pull this off.

1st Samuel 17, Verses 49-50 

49 He reached into his bag. He took out a stone. He put it in his sling. He slung it at Goliath. The stone hit him on the forehead and sank into it. He fell to the ground on his face.
50 So David won the fight against Goliath with a sling and a stone. He struck the Philistine down and killed him. He did it without even using a sword.

I’ve always wondered something. How has gw remained in class 1 when there’s a population of ~8,000 in wytheville. Some counties barely have that amount in our area and still have schools in the county that are class 2. Always seemed odd to me

14 minutes ago, Stelley said:

I’ve always wondered something. How has gw remained in class 1 when there’s a population of ~8,000 in wytheville. Some counties barely have that amount in our area and still have schools in the county that are class 2. Always seemed odd to me

They also must have some Augusta County level line drawers! Lol

1 hour ago, Stelley said:

We've always had a fair amount of folks who move here after retiring.

US Census has us at 8,177 as of July 1, 2022. 25.3% are 65 or older. Only 19.5% are Under 18.

That 19.5% averages out to about 89 kids a year, and not all of those kids will be enrolled at GW. Some of them have Wytheville addresses but are closer to RR or FC so will go there. Some are homeschooled. Some enroll in one of two small private Christian academies here.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/wythevilletownvirginia/PST045222

A few simple things from CityData.com tell the story. 

• The Town of Wytheville has a population of 8,241 as of 2021. An increase of 5.6% since 2000. One of the few localities expanding in southwest Virginia.
  • The median age of a Town of Wytheville resident is 47.2 years. 
  • The median age of a Virginia resident is 38.8 years.

Wytheville, much like Galax, has seen an influx of transplants from outside the area over the past two decades. People moving to the area after retirement rarely (if ever) have children in tow. In short, the 20-somethings leave the area and raise families someplace else while retirees from Maryland, New York, Massachusetts and Connecticut move into Wytheville. The population rises slightly, but so does the median age of the residents.

GW was able to get Dorman into a 3-point shooting contest rather than them using their massive size advantage. Poor coaching on the Dorman staff to be honest. Great win for GW and certainly put Lancaster (and the rest of the state) on notice. GW still only has 2 seniors on the roster. Bright future in Wytheville.

Dorman shot 31% from the field, 21% from 3 and 45% from the free throw line. 

GW shot 46% from the field, 47% from 3 and 61% from the free throw line. 

9 hours ago, gwloyal said:

We've always had a fair amount of folks who move here after retiring.

US Census has us at 8,177 as of July 1, 2022. 25.3% are 65 or older. Only 19.5% are Under 18.

That 19.5% averages out to about 89 kids a year, and not all of those kids will be enrolled at GW. Some of them have Wytheville addresses but are closer to RR or FC so will go there. Some are homeschooled. Some enroll in one of two small private Christian academies here.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/wythevilletownvirginia/PST045222

4 hours ago, sixcat said:

A few simple things from CityData.com tell the story. 

• The Town of Wytheville has a population of 8,241 as of 2021. An increase of 5.6% since 2000. One of the few localities expanding in southwest Virginia.
  • The median age of a Town of Wytheville resident is 47.2 years. 
  • The median age of a Virginia resident is 38.8 years.

Wytheville, much like Galax, has seen an influx of transplants from outside the area over the past two decades. People moving to the area after retirement rarely (if ever) have children in tow. In short, the 20-somethings leave the area and raise families someplace else while retirees from Maryland, New York, Massachusetts and Connecticut move into Wytheville. The population rises slightly, but so does the median age of the residents.

Thank you both for the information. Was not aware of this