Region 1D and 2D Region Tournament Boys Scores and Updates

Tonight will be a snooze fest for the M7 will walk all over the swd, the only game I could see being interesting is Graham vs Gate City, Graham girls are scrappy, they play hard, they're the most improved team this year. Still Gate City might take care of them handly that's just the 1 game tonight to keep an eye on

6 hours ago, sixcat said:

Unfortunate for Carroll County. I heard last night, they lost their 30 PPG scorer to a season ending injury a few minutes into the district tournament championship game against Floyd. 

Tough way for the best season in school history to end. 

Edit to add; his dad confirmed a dislocated kneecap early in the 2nd quarter against Floyd in the TRD Tournament Championship game. 

I wonder if they TRD will rethink having a district "tournament" when it really doesn't mean anything.  Carroll was a really good team and lost their best player during it.  They haven't done a tourney in years so why did they start now?

50 minutes ago, RadCat said:

I wonder if they TRD will rethink having a district "tournament" when it really doesn't mean anything.  Carroll was a really good team and lost their best player during it.  They haven't done a tourney in years so why did they start now?

Several of us were gathered up last night talking about that very issue. It's a shame. He's a great young man. Governor School student. Incredibly intelligent. He will be successful in whatever he goes into.

He's been All-State multiple years in track and cross country so, a dislocated kneecap will definitely hurt his chances of repeating his success in track this spring. 

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

That's how they roll with V-High, the boys and girls coach both do that, it's nuts.

It’s almost like that’s apart of their culture. The kids are literally the same way. #2 can constantly be heard and seen saying the f word to the other team and fans. (Didn’t realize everyone was talking about the girls I meant boys).

5 hours ago, Bcats said:

Tonight will be a snooze fest for the M7 will walk all over the swd, the only game I could see being interesting is Graham vs Gate City, Graham girls are scrappy, they play hard, they're the most improved team this year. Still Gate City might take care of them handly that's just the 1 game tonight to keep an eye on

Saw score, looks like Gate City had no trouble. 

10 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Every.single.game. 

Ridiculous that the refs do nothing. If I were coach Slagle,I would have addressed it PDQ. That's a GREAT way to get a kid hurt.

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Saw score, looks like Gate City had no trouble. 

Graham went up 8-0 to start the game, then led 21-16 at halftime, then jaydyn carrico blitz Graham with 19 in the 3rd quarter, she had 9 at halftime and ended up with 36, Graham won every quarter but the 4th, the M7 is just on a different level in girls but still the best game of the night 

30 minutes ago, Bcats said:

Graham went up 8-0 to start the game, then led 21-16 at halftime, then jaydyn carrico blitz Graham with 19 in the 3rd quarter, she had 9 at halftime and ended up with 36, Graham won every quarter but the 4th, the M7 is just on a different level in girls but still the best game of the night 

The main issue I’ve seen in the few games I saw is that Graham is lacking in basic stuff & tend to have a lot of turnovers due to  lack of ability in things like dribbling, passing, etc. So, Jayden Carrico almost outscored Graham herself? Crazy! Is she a Senior? 

7 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

The main issue I’ve seen in the few games I saw is that Graham is lacking in basic stuff & tend to have a lot of turnovers due to  lack of ability in things like dribbling, passing, etc. So, Jayden Carrico almost outscored Graham herself? Crazy! Is she a Senior? 

I could be wrong but I don't think gate city has a senior on their team, they only have 8 players, Carrico has a younger sister on the team but she isn't as good right now as jaydyn

Watched part of this game. Carrico was a little off in the first half until she scored her 1,000 pt. After that, she started scoring more often.   She's tough to guard, just has no help. 

34 minutes ago, F@lcon said:

Watched part of this game. Carrico was a little off in the first half until she scored her 1,000 pt. After that, she started scoring more often.   She's tough to guard, just has no help. 

Yeah that's why I knew the rest of the games would be a cake walk for the m7 just Carrico doesn't have any help and Graham is scrappy I thought it could be interesting. Graham contained her for a half an then she put on a mvp performance 

13 hours ago, Unchained said:

The M7 in girls basketball is something else man. The #5 team in the conference wins at VHS convincingly. Union 63 VHS 44

I think Battle even split with Virginia High didn't they?  Lee would have probably been close if not beating them as well.

2 hours ago, jwgarrett20 said:

Lee beat Virginia High pretty easily last season.  That was our only win of the year.

What has happened with that program? I remember when Stephanie ward coached there, they were tough as nails,

10 minutes ago, Unchained said:

What has happened with that program? I remember when Stephanie ward coached there, they were tough as nails,

We are a team full of guards.  Have no size whatsoever.  Tallest player this year was possibly 5'4.  It's difficult to win in the toughest district in the state when you are getting outsized by 4-5 inches every game.  

We did win 5 games this season though, so there has been some progress.

53 minutes ago, jwgarrett20 said:

We are a team full of guards.  Have no size whatsoever.  Tallest player this year was possibly 5'4.  It's difficult to win in the toughest district in the state when you are getting outsized by 4-5 inches every game.  

We did win 5 games this season though, so there has been some progress.

We feel you on that on the boys side. If Union had a legit big man in the post they'd be dangerous.

15 minutes ago, Unchained said:

We feel you on that on the boys side. If Union had a legit big man in the post they'd be dangerous.

I would agree with that.  Put a legit post on Union's boys team and they would definitely do some damage in the state tourney. 

3 minutes ago, jwgarrett20 said:

I would agree with that.  Put a legit post on Union's boys team and they would definitely do some damage in the state tourney. 

Just a bit of rim protection goes a long way.

Pretty good friends with a former Lee High player.  Her son plays for D-B now and made first team all conference this year.  I think they were really good back when she played for them back in the mid 90's.

1 hour ago, Unchained said: