No turf in Richlands

mrb

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Do I since a little bit of jealously? No one is even 100% that the turf is getting done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not jealous over any of this, I love to watch football hell if they want to play in my uncle cow field i would let them!!1

I think getting field turf is great and I hope it does get approved. I was on the sidelines this year and I can tell you for a fact there was standing water in many spots along the sidelines and in the back of both end zones all season. I would come home with my pants soaked to my knees just from walking through it. It was better inside the lines but far from ideal. The coaches, parents and other volunteers spent countless hours every week covering, drying, rolling and painting the field. That won't be necessary with field turf. The youth league season only lasts about a month in order to protect the field... they spend one month practicing in the August heat and then one month playing 7 games plus playoffs. So this will benefit them a great deal and without them there won't be any more state championships at RHS. Another benefit is if/when Richlands makes it back to Lynchburg they won't have to travel to a college field for practice, and if/when it's another local team that makes it I'm sure they will be invited to practice at Ernie Hicks. I can't see a single negative to this deal. Sure a field house would be nice and so would new bleachers but those things would cost a lot more and I'm not aware of any gift horses offering to build them.

[ QUOTE ]

you are right dawgs & beside the turf have also heard about a big screen w/ replay ???????????????????????????????????

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the last I heard that scoreboard with the screen is already up!!

Screw the TCSB...go ahead and put the turf in...what can they do??? Not allow you to play on it...that would make NATIONAL NEWS and then EVERYONE would see how ignorant they are...

the benefits to the local area are immeasureable. it would be nice to get that on some of the local fields.....It would be a realy great thing to have in this area, especially when local teams have to play in the state championship game, they could use that field to practice on.

The only reason i think the TCSB is against the whole idea is that the administrators from Tazewell and Graham would cry foul and say that RHS would have an unfair advantage which is true but they also have got to look at the advantages it gives the entire local area and weigh them against the advantage it gives one team......My vote is for the field turf!

Also, maybe the TCSB could strike a deal with Emats and somehow get them to install field turf at Tazewell as well.......not at graham since they use a field in WV and not at Pocy since their school is supposedly about to shut down in the near future......

Having the turf field in RHS would be awesome and it would be great for the local commnunity.

Unfortunately having it at only one field in the county could open up a lawsuit for discrimination.

I know it is BS, but it is the truth.

Well, Thats BS! Who else produces state championships in the county? GHS & RHS. And graham is just tied up with the sharing/WV issue, but they still have a very nice stadium, that MAY eventually end up with turf.

[ QUOTE ]

Well, Thats BS! Who else produces state championships in the county? GHS & RHS. And graham is just tied up with the sharing/WV issue, but they still have a very nice stadium, that MAY eventually end up with turf.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, all Tazewell County Teams have put up State Titles......except Pocy, i'm sure if they have or not. There have been 5 State Titles(THS '86, GHS '89, RHS '92, GHS '95, RHS '06) brought back home to Tazewell County in the past 20 years......for those of you not advanced in math, thats 1 title for every 4 years......that doesn't sound bad at all! Tazewell County, although often overlooked by the eastern teams, is a breeding ground for football! Just ask any team from the Highlands District....lol

[ QUOTE ]

Having the turf field in RHS would be awesome and it would be great for the local commnunity.

Unfortunately having it at only one field in the county could open up a lawsuit for discrimination.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would in no way be discrimination. It's privately funded. The county already sets Graham up with a nice place to play and Tazewell has the best field in the area. Richlands needs this.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would in no way be discrimination. It's privately funded. The county already sets Graham up with a nice place to play and Tazewell has the best field in the area. Richlands needs this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. No way that Richlands getting turf could be considered discrimination, especially since its privately funded. There would be no basis for a lawsuit other than jealousy and I really don't think that would hold up in court. And that is why I don't understand what the TCSB is thinking by not just going ahead and giving the project the OK...they are getting something VERY NICE for NOTHING thanks to the generosity of someone in the community!!!

I personally am all for Richlands getting a turf field...anyone who thinks differently should run for the Tazewell Co. School Board next election...they need more idiots who make bad decisions...

Just a question...i don't want to start anymore arguments about this whole situation or anything haha...but why couldn't tazewell get turf with richlands...why is it richlands and honaker...i dont really know anything about this situation...just wondering...it would be great for anybody to get it though...even if it's not your home school.

EMATS sponsors the "Clinch River Classic" game between Richlands and Honaker.

I'm sure every school would like to have field turf but I don't think it's as much of a need for THS. That field is rarely in bad shape unless the weather is really bad and they also already have great lighting. If they need anything it's probably seating. The visitor bleachers are even worse than Richlands and there are some spots beside the press box where you lose sight of half the field.

Having worked for a group of politicians in the past, the only question that would want the answer to is what the ongoing cost is for operating and maintaining the new turf. None of us would want something for free that costs a lot to maintain.

I hope whatever the questions the School Board has are answered quickly and that Richlands get the field.

For those who haven't heard, the folks in Bluefield WV are working toward the same thing. So if you know some folks with a little cash burning a hole in their pockets and aching to do something for the community have them talk to Mayor Garry Moore.

I would expect maintenance to be less than with grass. At least in terms of labor. Not sure about durability and things like that but it will be the coaches, parents and members of the community providing most of the labor and I'm sure turf will reduce their load.