No turf in Richlands

mrb

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They wouldn't have to travel out of state to practice for the state games or maybe even would allow other teams in the area that are involve to come here to practice . I think it is a good idea. I also heard that the only holdup was that EMATS wanted to put their logo on the turf somewhere and someone in the county didn't like that idea.

[ QUOTE ]

For those who haven't heard, the folks in Bluefield WV are working toward the same thing. So if you know some folks with a little cash burning a hole in their pockets and aching to do something for the community have them talk to Mayor Garry Moore.

[/ QUOTE ]

SHOTT FOUNDATION!!!

The Shott Foundation paid for the new turf at Concord's stadium this past year...

Richlands football field may get turf

By JIM TALBERT

Staff writer

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

TAZEWELL ? A local businessman has some ambitious plans for two area high schools.

Jon Bowerbank, CEO of E-Mats Inc, presented plans for Synthetic grass football fields at Richlands and Honaker High Schools last week Bowerbank presented the idea to the Tazewell County School Board Jan. 8 and Russell County's school board a day later.

Bowerbank proposed establishing a 501-C3 corporation to oversee the project. He said one of the goals of the foundation would be to get the work done without any public fund raising activity.

He had pitched the idea to Richlands Principal Karen Webb and Football Coach Greg Mance prior to coming to the school board. Bowerbank said his company could do much of the site preparation work. The turf would be purchased from a professional field development company and they would also install it.

He gave the board a proposal from Forever Green in Salem to provide all materials, equipment and skilled labor to install turf on a 76,000 square foot facility. The company offered either a conventional base at a cost of $7.05 per square foot or a drainage blanket system at $6.60 per square foot.

The drainage blanket system would cost $501,600 and the conventional $535,800. He also showed the board an option for adding a six lane track that would cost an additional $244,080.

Forever Green furnished a list of references that included the New York City Parks and Recreation Department, New Jersey Stallions Soccer team, Tarleton State College in Texas and Liberty High School in Virginia.

Their proposal included detailed drawings of the proposed field which included Blues stitched in each end zone and an R in the center. It also included a maintenance manual for the field.

Forever Green would warrant the field for eight years from the first date of use. The board voted to endorse the idea and gave Bowerbank the okay to proceed.

School Superintendent Dr. Brenda Lawson praised Bowerbank for his interest in the community and the school system and his willingness to take on the project.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

For those who haven't heard, the folks in Bluefield WV are working toward the same thing. So if you know some folks with a little cash burning a hole in their pockets and aching to do something for the community have them talk to Mayor Garry Moore.

[/ QUOTE ]

SHOTT FOUNDATION!!!

The Shott Foundation paid for the new turf at Concord's stadium this past year...

[/ QUOTE ]didn't they pay for some of pocy's gym floor and bleachers a few years back?

If I am correct, June Shott paid for the turf at Concord, like she did the media center at Lane Stadium.

The Shott Foundation funded the renovations to Mitchell Stadium back in 1998. They may have done Pocy, I am not sure. The Shott Foundation also paid for improvements to Graham Rec. Park and Harmony Acres Pool a few years ago.

The two are not the same thing.

[ QUOTE ]

If I am correct, June Shott paid for the turf at Concord, like she did the media center at Lane Stadium.

The Shott Foundation funded the renovations to Mitchell Stadium back in 1998. They may have done Pocy, I am not sure. The Shott Foundation also paid for improvements to Graham Rec. Park and Harmony Acres Pool a few years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

June Shott IS The Shott Foundation...

[ QUOTE ]

They wouldn't have to travel out of state to practice for the state games or maybe even would allow other teams in the area that are involve to come here to practice . I think it is a good idea. I also heard that the only holdup was that EMATS wanted to put their logo on the turf somewhere and someone in the county didn't like that idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

By rule (Dont remember if this is VHSL, or NFHS), I don't believe you are supposed to have advertisements/company logos painted onto the playing surface.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

June Shott IS The Shott Foundation...

[/ QUOTE ]

No she isn't....two totally different entities. June is not even on the Shott Foundation. Trust me on this one.

No, Hillbilly is correct. June Shott does her own thing. The Shott Foundation Board includes Buz Wilkinson, Frank Wilkinson, Chandler Swope, John Shott, Mike Shott and other members of the Shott family.

I have made several grant applications to them over the years, and those are the folks that I met with.

[ QUOTE ]

No, Hillbilly is correct. June Shott does her own thing. The Shott Foundation Board includes Buz Wilkinson, Frank Wilkinson, Chandler Swope, John Shott, Mike Shott and other members of the Shott family.

I have made several grant applications to them over the years, and those are the folks that I met with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me...if June said she wanted to use Shott Foundation money for something, it would be done...

[ QUOTE ]

By rule (Dont remember if this is VHSL, or NFHS), I don't believe you are supposed to have advertisements/company logos painted onto the playing surface.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but, technically, the end zone isn't part of the field ... right? (1-2-3g)

[ QUOTE ]

Would E-Mats be able to put their logo in the little half moon area beyond the end-zone and field goal posts?

That is neither on the field nor on the end-zone.

[/ QUOTE ]

they can make signs and hang on the fence around the field something like Tazewell has on there scoreboard!!