How many are out for your team??

Guest Stang02

Guest Stang02

I know it's just the first day of practice and some will quit by the first game but I was just wondering ....What were the numbers out for everyone's teams??

Guest old_school

Tazewell had a little over 40 players out for the first day.

does magna vista have a game for aug. 27 ? or do they open the first of sept. if it is not the end of aug. then they can not open practice until next week. you have to go by the twenty day practice rule. maybe someone from bassett needs to start counting. magna vista has had some trouble figuring out vhsl guidelines before. just wondering.

They don't open until Sept. 3. Why does it have to be just Bassett to start counting,I'm sure Martinsville, Tunstall and the rest of the Piedmont would be just as interested. Also I'm sure some of the D4 schools in the SWD and the Highlands would like to know the answer to that also. Heck, I heard they have been practicing for a couple of months anyway!!

[ QUOTE ]

Richlands has 61 out for two a days, and had 32 for the benchathon.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great!!! I remember the turnout being really low last year, maybe 40 something.

page 93 of handbook states you may not have more than 20 practices before your first game, not counting sunday. two a days count one, scrimmages count one. if you start on aug. 2 and do not play until sept. 3 you have to take off at least eight days not counting sunday. (28 days) if martinsville still has the first two playing dates open, then it really gets interesting when they can practice and when they can not. just food for thought.

WELP! for Graham as Coach Carlock reported to the BDT, there were 60 players total. After day two of two-a-days the count is down to 58... A few more expected to quit. This is one of Grahams toughest two-a-days practices but still the BEST!

GO G-MEN!

G-MEN PRIDE!

magna vista has an open date august 27th, but are planned to go to pulaski for the touchdown classic, if bassett counts up the practicing days they will be in the same boat, they also have an open date on aug 27th

Guest Stang02

Mt. Hope has 33 out for the team and there was rumor that there will be one more that will go out. If I know Coach Souk then he will probably have that guy run about 200 steps for missing the first couple days of practice.

Guest Stang02

WOAY Channel 4 tonight reported that Oak Hill had out about 35 guys for the team.

I want to correct my previous post on how many were out on Monday for Magna Vista. The number I had was just a visual estimate. The Martinsville Bulletin this morning reported that the Warriors had over a 100 athletes out (40 Varsity and 60 Junior Varsity). It also mentioned that most of Laurel Parks JV team from last year was made up of 8th graders and the influx this year is partly due to that. The only numbers problem that Bassett, Magna Vista, Fieldale Collinsville, and Laurel Park has had in the past was the fact that there was not enough to choose from. This year with the consolidation it looks like both Bassett and Magna Vista have a load to choose from and build on. Good luck to everybody on the upcoming season!

shady has about 34 or so out. i figured liberty would have more ppl out. independence practices at night. does neone agree with night practices in august? i mean there are exceptions for teams in the kanawha valley but i mean when you are in places like independence where it only gets 85 thats kind of ridiculous.

[ QUOTE ]

shady has about 34 or so out. i figured liberty would have more ppl out. independence practices at night. does neone agree with night practices in august? i mean there are exceptions for teams in the kanawha valley but i mean when you are in places like independence where it only gets 85 thats kind of ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

People have died from heat stroke in a lot less than 85-degree temps. Why not practice at night if that's what the coach wants? You play at night, so what's the difference? Why not avoid the heat of August by practicing at night? You can probably get more out of your players that way.