Richlands are SWD tournament Champions

rvtne216

Now before you start talking about the bleacher situation maybe you should try to remember how the seating arrangement for Richlands is....

Grundy High School is still the same size as it has been for all the years Grundy has had a basketball team. New paint, and new bleachers is all that have been installed. Same size. Nothing new.

I played many games with Rife's Raiders and even a year of McGee's Mafia lining the sideline of OUR end during warm ups with many wonderful personal remarks for my teammates and I so for those of you from Richlands that seem to think Grundy is the only place that has ever had anybody be out of line, just think back...

This isnt a reply to GMAN, I just messed up and clicked reply after his message.

I agree with Gman and his statement that BOTH parties should be held accountable for their unfortunate decisions and they way BOTH handled things.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Now before you start talking about the bleacher situation maybe you should try to remember how the seating arrangement for Richlands is....

I played many games with Rife's Raiders and even a year of McGee's Mafia lining the sideline of OUR end during warm ups with many wonderful personal remarks for my teammates and I so for those of you from Richlands that seem to think Grundy is the only place that has ever had anybody be out of line, just think back...

[/ QUOTE ]

What?? The Rife's Raiders out of line. I just don't believe that. You know you loved us Grundy10...

haha....We always responded well to it...I never had a problem with it...Im just sayin that when the rowdy crowd is from Grundy instead of Richlands, some of the posters on here from Richlands are takin' some shots!

Theo and I always listened up to see what you guys had to say! haha

this has absolutly nothing to do with the student sections, this has to do with lack of room, latley in Rms there is enough room for someone to walk behind the bench and not be in the way, and if my memory serves me correct, at riverview there was enough room to walk behind the bench as well.

come on, guys, let's be reasonable. 98% of the gyms in our schools are small. why? because our schools are small. and, honestly, they likely only fill up one or two instances a year. these are--in most cases--the same gyms played in both when there were a lot more students attending our schools than now, and when people actually came to games to support our schools' teams. no, they aren't perfect, but they're sufficient.

you know what's a novel idea? personal responsibility. oh, and maturity, as well. in this instance, this all boils down to the fact that it was two grown, adult men who acted like toddlers. it's happening all over the country: the man pushing the wrestler off of his kid, the fellow who tackled the football player who took a cheapshot his son... it's ridiculous. small gym, large gym, open field pasture, it shouldn't matter. adults should be able to control themselves and supress their urges to act their shoe size, if even for only 3 hours.

saying it's "the small gym's fault" only allows these type of people a crutch to throw their lack of self-control off on, and there's absolutely no way that should be. this wasn't a student section problem. this wasn't a player control issue. this was, again, an issue with two adult men, who couldn't sit down, shut up, and behave themselves--one being a coach, who should be held to a higher degree of professional accountability regardless of what the fan said or did to provoke whatever.

because of this mess, these guys have overshadowed a good athletic effort by the best two basketball teams in the swd, and that's what makes this entire situation both shameful and pathetic. we should be talking about the game; instead, this is what we get.

[ QUOTE ]

i apperciate you being nice and at least that show that some people are not jerks from richlands, but i cant root for richlands they kill us every year in football..they showed how rude they could be tonight im sorry

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it rude to coach to defend himself from a stupid fan

[ QUOTE ]

There must have been some type of contact. It was written up by the officers on duty. Mr. Altizer should have watched what he said also to some one a little bigger. You are right Grundy people will say one thing and Richlands people will say another thing. Who is right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You couldn't believe the officers because they had no clue what was going on. They just saw the crowd pointing at altizer and took him outside in the cold and told him to cool off. No one even stayed out there with him.

[ QUOTE ]

I have no dog in this fight and have heard nothing other than what has been posted on this board...but this is how I see it...

#1 - If there was a larger venue to accomodate the crowd, it should have been used.

#2 - Fans should NEVER be allowed to be in front of the bench area...there should have been some sort of "buffer zone" to allow fans to pass around the bench area without interference.

#3 - If the crowd was so large that #2 could not have been avoided. Some sort of "security"...ie. rent-a-cop, school official, law enforcement official...should have been put in place to "regulate" the traffic flow in the bench area.

#4 - A Coach should never say anything to any fan nor make contact with any fan, regardless of whether the fan is walking by him, in front of him, or behind him, or even if the fan has said something to provoke him.

#5 - NO FAN should ever make physical contact with any coach of any team, regardless of how congested an area may be or how upset the fan may be.

#6 - Both the Coach and the Fan were WAY OUT OF LINE with their actions and both should be held accountable for what they did.

I doubt this type of thing will ever occur again. Odds are, some sort of measures will be in place next time to take alleviate this type of situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you weren't there, stay out of it. Also, something like that will probably happen like that again if they don't move back to Riverview or get a sheriff that isn't worried about if he is going to get reelected and do his job. the officers were useless for that game because they had no clue what was going on. It looked like someone gave them their uniforms while they were coming in the door and was told it's your turn to be the cops.

[ QUOTE ]

I believe at TMS last year and two years ago nobody was allowed to sit on the same side of the gym as the players.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have never went to a game because that was the stupidest thing i have ever heard.

[ QUOTE ]

How is it rude to coach to defend himself from a stupid fan

[/ QUOTE ]

it's been alleged--and not denied-- on this board that the asst. coach droppd a few f-bombs during/after the incident. spouting obscenities to anyone at any time is rude, and particularly out of line if you're a paid representative of a school.

Neither can I. That's why I can't agree with Gman's point #6. I have no idea what either of them said to the other before contact was made. I do know Ellis shoved Altizer with enough force to put him on the floor and I could read Altizer's lips after he got up but that's all I know for a fact. And in my opinion all bets are off when it comes to what you say after you've been assaulted... unless he did say it to a police officer, that would count as reacting poorly.

You need to not make accusations as to what was said unless you were standing close enough to hear it yourself. And as loud as it was in the gym that night, only the two people involved know what was really said. As far as the sherriff saying that's why Altizer was ejected, how can that be when there was no contact or communication between Altizer and the police until the minute they grabbed him by the shirt to haul him out of there?? They weren't close enough to hear anything said to Ellis either. I saw that with my own eyes. Altizer was there doing his job and is being dragged through the mud here with no proof of any wrongdoing. Don't believe what you hear and just pass if off as fact.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I have no dog in this fight and have heard nothing other than what has been posted on this board...but this is how I see it...

#1 - If there was a larger venue to accomodate the crowd, it should have been used.

#2 - Fans should NEVER be allowed to be in front of the bench area...there should have been some sort of "buffer zone" to allow fans to pass around the bench area without interference.

#3 - If the crowd was so large that #2 could not have been avoided. Some sort of "security"...ie. rent-a-cop, school official, law enforcement official...should have been put in place to "regulate" the traffic flow in the bench area.

#4 - A Coach should never say anything to any fan nor make contact with any fan, regardless of whether the fan is walking by him, in front of him, or behind him, or even if the fan has said something to provoke him.

#5 - NO FAN should ever make physical contact with any coach of any team, regardless of how congested an area may be or how upset the fan may be.

#6 - Both the Coach and the Fan were WAY OUT OF LINE with their actions and both should be held accountable for what they did.

I doubt this type of thing will ever occur again. Odds are, some sort of measures will be in place next time to take alleviate this type of situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you weren't there, stay out of it. Also, something like that will probably happen like that again if they don't move back to Riverview or get a sheriff that isn't worried about if he is going to get reelected and do his job. the officers were useless for that game because they had no clue what was going on. It looked like someone gave them their uniforms while they were coming in the door and was told it's your turn to be the cops.

[/ QUOTE ]

so since you were there, does that mean you know exactly what the coach said or what the grundy fan said?? For you to tell GMAN to stay out of it bc he wasnt there is absolutely ridiculous.......that would be like me telling your to stay out of it bc you werent either the coach or the fan.....come on man, post something that contributes to the conversation not something unintelligent.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At Richlands the Richlands fans sit on the side behind our team and tha away fans sit behind their team...all except for a few ppl...grundy could do that as well

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I believe at TMS last year and two years ago nobody was allowed to sit on the same side of the gym as the players.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have never went to a game because that was the stupidest thing i have ever heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it is not, they def. did that for a few of the games.

Nobody was allowed on the side of the gym with the players.

[ QUOTE ]

it's been alleged--and not denied--on this board that the asst. coach dropped a few f-bombs during/after the incident...

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]

You need to not make accusations as to what was said unless you were standing close enough to hear it yourself...Altizer was there doing his job and is being dragged through the mud here with no proof of any wrongdoing. Don't believe what you hear and just pass if off as fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

i do believe the fact that my previous post included the phrase "it's been alleged," so that blows your emotional tirade about my "accusations" out of the water. i was merely restating what other posters have actually accused.

as for altizer, people--players, coaches, fans, cheerleaders, whatever--don't get tossed from games for no reason. sometimes the reason is more petty than other times, but a reason always exists. merely "doing your job" doesn't get a coach tossed. any time a player (remember: who is representing a school) earns an ejection, he has to deal with consequences, namely a game suspension. if vhsl holds players to a certain standard of accountability, at the very least, the same should hold true for coaches (who are also representative of a school.)

personally, i don't care who started what or why. the alleged actions of both of these men are inexcusable, and they are responsible for their actions--not the size of the gym or the buchanan county sheriff or anyone else. and furthermore, they, as adults, should be reprimanded for what happened.

wat was the deal when the officer came back to try and get mcghee? did anyone see that cause the sheriff acted like he wanted him out of there too, ive heard he just got altizer because he has to be re-elected soon

Altizer wasn't ejected for doing his job...he was shoved into the bleachers for doing that. He was ejected because the sherriff was trying to please the voters of Buchanan county. There's your reason. And as far as being reprimanded for something you allegedly did, I believe there needs to be some kind of proof.