Bluefield survives Welch and Mount View, 17-14!

Bluefield_Rules

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to most of the second half of this game. Bluefield overcomes four interceptions and two fumbles to come away with the win.

Every championship caliber team has at least one or two games like this it seems. Congrats to Bluefield for digging deep in the fourth quarter to get the win. Games like this will help you down the road.

Bluefield really dug in tonight and pulled out the win. I'd like to express some random thoughts I had about the game.

- Mount View played exceptionally well in the secondary and covered Bluefield very well. Several of those interceptions should be attributed to the wet ball because it seemed Rusty could never put the zip on the ball that he usually does. Inaccuracy plagued him all night. Credit Mount View for also getting a consistent rush on Rusty the entire game. By the middle of the game, Bluefield had to line up the two slot receivers outside of the tackles in the shotgun formation in order to give him decent coverage against the blitz. Six turnovers for Bluefield in all.

- The field conditions played a big role in the game tonight as I mentioned above. The field really hampered Bluefield's speed and they could never really make the cuts they normally would. The speed of Mount View negated most of the sweep/toss plays for Bluefield and also cut short some pass/run plays that would normally be touchdowns against any other opponent.

- At the end of the first half, Bluefield and Mount View both had 15 carries, but the yardage spoke volumes. -7 for the Knights and 17 for the Beavers.

- Outside of the 70 yard run by the fullback, Mount View rolled up a total of 36 yards. The Knights benefited from good field position all night and never drove more than 20-35 yards on any given possession outside of the big run.

Mount View has a decent to good team and their defense is undoubtedly their strong point. That being said, Bluefield shot themselves in the foot so many times tonight and allowed the Knights to hang around. If these two teams were to meet again in the playoffs at Mitchell Stadium in dry conditions, I could see Bluefield beating MV by 3 TDs or more. Hopefully this was a wake up call for them tonight.

[ QUOTE ]

Look at it this way. bluefield was due for a not so good game. i mean they did play 7 perfect games before. its hard to play 8 perfect games. good luck to them the rest of the season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluefield hasn't played a perfect game at any point this season. They've had room for the improvement, and still do, just as every team does.

big win for the beavers even though they looked very sloppy. the knights seemed to put alot of pressure on rusty something he hasnt seen all season. but they showed alot of heart and overcame the turnovers which is hard to do at any level. im glad they got out the bad game out of the way now instead of in the playoffs.

ok, well they have had "A" games, not "A+" games, becuase on the film against martinsburg they definetly brought their "A" game. to beat the #1 team in AAA you gotta have pretty much a perfect game. id like to kno the mistakes they made in that game? sure sowers had a good game but he didnt have the games he did previously. they contained him real well.

IMO Mt. View feels this a rival game and I'm not sure Blfd. feels the same. Blfd was lucky/good to escape with that win, but as other posters pointed out good teams do that. Blfd has a huge bulls eye on their chest and from here on out, when any teams play Bluefield it will be THEIR game of the year. Honestly though in most years everyone seems to have the Bluefield game circled on their calender but I think it may be circled a little bigger this year. Congrats to Mt. View. They played their butts off. Congrats to Blfd for not quitting and having the fight to come back.

I never expected for Welch to see this game as such a big event, until I walked into the stadium and I could actually feel the rivalry! IMO Bluefield didn't deserve this game b/c MV played their hearts out- and did anyone else notice how they LAID it on Rusty and David??! Rumor is that Rusty's side torso is hurting him pretty bad. Good job to MV and BHS... Keep up the perfect record beavers!

In my opinion bluefield certainly earned this victory, regardless of how hard mt. view played.

Listening to the game, 1 could easily tell that all bluefield had to do was to ice off their drives. They seemed to move the ball rather well, and aside from 1 or 2 big plays for mt. view, they stopped mt. view on o very convincingly on the other side, and in most game a team will have to score a lot more than 14 points to defeat them.

Credit mt. view for playing hard, as most people from bluefield expected them to, but in my honest opinion and with all due respect to mt. view, bluefield is on a different level than than they are, and they could afford to make the mistakes they did and still earn the victory. Not suggesting that having that type of game is anything to be proud of, or to be satisfied with, or that making those mistakes won't cost them a victory or a even a title in other games against another team though. Hopefully they will learn from that game.

Perhaps coeburn wasn't physically 100% after that lick on the 1st series and because of that he had an off game with the interceptions?

As for that, gonna mention something not be considered out of context.

Repass seems to be an exceptional athlete overall, and has the ability to make big plays on o, he can obviously pass, so just some thoughts, I've thought how effective he might be at qb with the threat of being able to roll out and pass or run, or bootleg with play action, and run, ect.

I mention "in context" because despite coeburn having some interceptions, in no way do I have any thoughts that he shouldn't start, not that it would matter if I did, and as far as I know, he might be the 1st 1,000 yard passer in bluefield's history, anyone know? And congrats to him on that. That said, just considering how repass at qb like so here and there for a series could potentially make bluefield's o even more effective, or perhaps jump start their o if the o had another off game, or if coeburn were injured, nothing more.

Congrats to bluefield.

I just want to say that I am very proud of the Beavers for a tough win against a tough team. Yes Bluefields offense has had better games but they stepped upped and got the job done when it mattered most. To me this game shows even more why they are number one because they never gave up and that is what champions do. Bluefields defense also deserves praise for playing a great game. Outside of the one long run they only gave up 30 some yards to Mt. View. The defense has been somewhat of an unsung hero this year because the offense has been playing so well. Keep it up guys!!

One more note...To Buzzsaw, Please don't take this the wrong way because I understand what you are trying to say, but, Last week we were all talking about how great it was that Rusty was getting looked at for the Kennedy Award and all year NO ONE has said anything about Repass taking ANY snaps at QB until Rusty has ONE bad game. Repass has a good arm and he throws a nice ball, it just bothers me a little that you didn't make this suggestion until AFTER Rusty had ONE bad game.

I would guess he is the 1st qb to pass for 1,000 yards. Bluefield's had some exceptional qbs, and particularly those listed, but they simply never utilized the pass like so, nor had such a corp of recievers. I could be wrong though, but from recollection I doubt any bluefield qb from the '70s on has had at all that many passing yards.

"NO ONE has said anything about Repass taking ANY snaps at QB until Rusty has ONE bad game"

Time out, with all due respect, it's warranted to mention I wrote I thought maybe he had an off game because of the big lick from that blitz in the 1st quarter, and didn't he go out late in the game with some type of injury also, before returning again for the last series? Whether or not any injury was the case, a potential injury is a possibility and a legit concern, and before the mt. view game the thought of it had not even been a factor.

You must be reading into that more personally than you should as I wrote plainly before and after those comments that they had nothing to do with suggesting coeburn shouldn't start. But nothing personal, I respect your right to question it, so just making my point more plain.

Also, I simply wrote he had an off game, which doesn't suggest he had a bad game himself. Lots of factors could potentially make for a qb's success or lack of in a game, such as pass blocking or lack, d schemes, faster db's making plays, incorrect routes by recievers on some plays, ect., and the o's inability to score at times seemed to be a combination of these things, and it seemed to be the o itself overall to be fair about it.

If I were from Bluefield, I wouldn't be real pleased. You can talk about coming back all you want, but Mount View has had it's own offensive problems all season, and IMO if Bluefield has 6 turnovers against a top team like James Monroe, Weir, or Wayne, and their opponent simply doesn't make the same mistakes, they could lose by 20+ points. It's pretty obvious, at least to me, that Coeburn is still forcing throws when he gets pressured, just like the scrimmage with Pulaski, and the loss to James Monroe 2 seasons ago. There has been a lot of hipe about Bluefield's air attack this season, I firmly believe that most of it's success is do to the fast recievers, and the threat of a ground attack.

That being said, any team would benefit from have Rusty Coeburn on their roster, but mostly because of his defensive play, that's where he is underrated. However as a quarterback, he'll struggle if he tries to go to the next level at the QB position.

[ QUOTE ]

if Bluefield has 6 turnovers against a top team like James Monroe, Weir, or Wayne, and their opponent simply doesn't make the same mistakes, they could lose by 20+ points.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this not go without saying? If you turn the ball over six times against a good team and you're going to get beat, regardless of who you are...

And who said Bluefield was happy with Friday night? The Beavers played bad, but still managed to win and we're thankful/happy for that. I don't believe you can confuse being happy to win despite 6 turnovers with being happy with the team's performance.

although i was unable to attend the game at welch, I was able to talk with several who did. All of them said the receivers dropped at least 3 td passes and that rusty was lucky enough to get the passes off before getting sacked. They said the passes were by no means perfect throws, but were definetely catchable. They also said MV was bringing the house on every play. I believe even Joe Montana needed a little time to throw. Also as far as coeburn's success being attributed to fast receivers and a good ground game you are right, but i believe you can attribute any succesful qb's success to that.I don't believe he is an overrated qb, but i do agree with you, in that he is underrated defensively and that is where his future is. One more thing blfd is surely not happy with the 6 to's but they are happy with the win DESPITE the 6 turnovers. see ya in lindside!!

[ QUOTE ]

see ya in lindside!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said, but first the Beavers have some business to take care of on Chamara Field with Herbert Hoover this Friday.

Once that has been taken care of, I expect Coeburn and Company will travel to Monroe County and "git r done".

What it is with you guys? People had nothing but good things to say about Coeburn before he had ONE bad game. Now he his overated as a QB? Tell you what MAVSROCK...he will be in your town in two weeks..tell me what his throws look like after that game!!!

Stop arguing. You know, it is a good thing Blfd was playin a team like Mt View. because if we'd played that bad vs any other team itd been over. there were some key factors involved in the game. 1.) the field conditions were terrible and so was the lighting, there were complaints from the team that they couldnt see due to glare which led to 2.) the recievers missing 2-3 passes each. 3.) yes, rusty didnt have the best game ever but 4.)the opponent's defense played well and kept him pressured. oh, and 5.) Mt View played their hearts out but even with them giving 100% and Bluefield playing as they did, we are still the better team.